Rapido's new "The Canadian" train set

yvesmary

Jason Shron of Rapido was in Red Deer, Alberta today showing the pre-production model of Canadian Pacific and Via's The Canadian passenger train. It consists of 2 FP9s, a booster, and 10 cars including the rear observation dome.

Absolutely stunning. The detail is incredible. And the sound of those FP9s is unlike anything I've ever heard. Even has working classification lights.

It completely justifies all the pictures on his website.

I've got the Walthers set they put out a few years ago and it's really nice but this one just overwhelms it.

These guys are raising the bar far above anybody else's as far as realistic models go.

The price reflects that but after seeing the models it's worth it. I'll have to do a little financial juggling but now I can't wait to get mine.

I have seen it myself here in Ontario. It really is a nice set but I also know that $1500 is something I don't have laying around right now. It's too bad this one didn't come out in phases which would make it more available to the masses. I am sure you will enjoy it regardless and congrats on getting one.:D

It is a stunning train! And $1500 for 2 powered sound locos, a dummy B-unit and ten fully lit passenger cars is really not that bad. It is a sticker shock all at once, and, unfortunately, beyond my means right now.

The good news is that Rapido will be releasing the cars individually later on. The cost of buying the fully train individually will be far higher then getting it now, but the option will be there later.

What really blew me away was the sound of the FP9s. All my other sound locos pale in comparison. I think Jason said they're using Tsunamis.

He has an interesting youtube video on how they recorded the real thing by having it do some pulling so that the engine had to work instead of merely idling at different RPMs.

Yes, they did record the train under load because the current Tsunami offering has the engine sounds with no load. Soundtraxx recorded the EMD 710-T2 prime mover under load for the SD70ACe sounds.

Thanks for the link. I've got it bookmarked now.

Loved the pictures of what goes on in factories. Seeing the models in Red Deer the other day was something else. The details he's put into the interiors is incredible especially the etched glass panels that were in those cars.

I don't even model Canadian railroads, but this is such a good looking train, I had to preorder it. I've got 5 months to save up.

Well I can get it for $1080 from my source so you will prob see them for around $1200.

Ok so minus around $400 for both loco's, that leaves 10 cars with an average price of $80. Are these cars going to be worth that price?

And Mark, did you get my email?

I think these cars will be worth $80. The level of detail is unlike anything you've ever seen. As mentioned before they even have the etched glass panels in the interior that were in the originals. The beaver shield on the outside is not a decal, it's an applied little piece.

All in all it's a visually stunning set. I'm sure noboby will be disappointed that gets a set.

I like Rapido's cars, for the most part the detail is great, although the colors on the Great Northern passenger cars were a big let down. It sounds like there pulling out all the stops on this one.
Are they worth it? Like anything else, there worth whatever you can get someone to pay. Is a Shoreham Shops brass Milwaukee Superdome worth $650 more than the Walthers equivilent? Having worked on both I would say not to me, but to a brass collector maybe.
Doug

I was told by an employee of Rapido that they make some ridiculously large percentage of profit from any particular run just from American roadnames on their Canadian lines.

Ok so minus around $400 for both loco's, that leaves 10 cars with an average price of $80. Are these cars going to be worth that price?QUOTE]

That's pretty close to what Walthers is getting for their yearly name train offering, or what BLI is getting for the Daylight cars, so if you like the train, it's at least in line with the rest of the market.

Yea i guess thats true. Wasn't thinking about the walthers trains. They do tend to be slightly cheaper then $80/car but still its around that range. If I had a large and I mean fairly large layout i'de buy a complete trainset.

You sound like a wise man :D Many of us don't realize just how much real estate a prototypical consist eats. My Walthers COLA is 16 feet long, and my Lark is 22 feet long when it's all together. If I didn't belong to a club or have a huge home layout I wouldn't be able to enjoy them, other than as shelf queens. If I was strictly a small layout guy, I'd stick to shorties or a mixed train. I'd like to see some interior shots of the cars. I hear that they're very well done.

You sound like a wise man :D Many of us don't realize just how much real estate a prototypical consist eats. My Walthers COLA is 16 feet long, and my Lark is 22 feet long when it's all together. If I didn't belong to a club or have a huge home layout I wouldn't be able to enjoy them, other than as shelf queens. If I was strictly a small layout guy, I'd stick to shorties or a mixed train. I'd like to see some interior shots of the cars. I hear that they're very well done.

You'll have to split them in half and run it as a second section. The locomotives on this set have working classification lights so here's a chance to light up the green ones.

I don't have a very big layout so I'll just go with a few cars at a time and park the others in the passenger yard and switch them around from time to time.

Back