Rant: Outrageous Pre-order Lead Times

Heck, BLI says an AC6000 should work down to 18"!

You mean 18" radius?

How long is the AC6000?

OK I found out the replies to my questions

The loco lenght is approx 10" and it can operate on a minimum radius of 22"

as per description on this site

Will operate on Code 70, 83 and 100 rail
Can be operated on minimum 22" radius curves

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean 18" radius?

How long is the AC6000?

OK I found out the replies to my questions

The loco lenght is approx 10" and it can operate on a minimum radius of 22"

as per description on this site
Yes, BUT... When I bought it, BLI/PCM's site said 18", it's been changed in the last month or so.

But even at that, it still skips an axle on 22".

Hello all,

After reading what you have all said about LHS' & buying from the internet, I just had to reply. Yes, I'm just as guilty as the rest of you about buying from the internet and being a "snake" on eBay just to get something as cheaply as possible. But, I have posted in the past about an LHS I support and do pre-ordering from. At least up at Hands to Work Railroading in Alsip, IL. you can pre-order without having to pay upfront. They keep your credit card on file and when you pre-order, they then charge you when the item(s) arrive. Also, they give a 25% discount off MSRP for using their system. I think it's a fair system. Also, HTWRR also sells on eBay. Their eBay name is handstoworkrr. Thanks for letting me "rant"

Its a long loco and needs a large turn, so a layout needs to have turns bigger form 22" radius yo run it!!! Pitty, its such a nice loco to run.

I have to check every curve of my layout to see what are all the radiuses.

I found out that my Y6b shipped today from FDT. I have to give them an A(+)plus for their response time.

Joe, I too, have indirectly supported LHS's by ordering the same way, particularly one in Cleveland, Ohio, but I can't say that I will buy from one just because it is a hobby shop. I see that yours has a 25% discount. Would you "support" him if he charged MSRP? Don't get me wrong; I wish things were different, with the mom and pop hardware, clothing shops, groceries, and etc...the excellent and personal service, "hi Rex, what can I do for you today?" Unfortunately, economics does not allow this, particularly when a 20% profit is not good enough: not for small business or the huge corporations. Are you old enough to remember when a small business owner lived in a modest ranch style home and was very content? Look at them now in their 5000sqft., 5 bedroom, homes.

Can't wait to hear a review of your Y6b Rex! I think (sneaking suspicion, by comparing delivery boxes) that my wife either got me a 2nd AC6000CW, or an SD9 for my birthday or Christmas. It took approximately one week (as did my AC6000CW) and was delivered by FedEx Ground (as did the AC6000CW). We'll see!

Hello Rex,

I cannot disagree with you one bit on the 20% profit margin, but thats what we all want, is to be able to live without too much worry. At least I can say this about the owners of HTWRR, he works for the Union Pacific and she runs the shop. Of course, they have a young child (around 7 yrs old) so they both put a bunch of time in. I also happen to have been to their home, about a 2000 sq. ft. townhome. Nothing fancy, but liveable. To answer the question about MSRP, no I will not patronize a shop that does this. As for my age, I'm 44 and I can remember when things were much better economically. Now I know what my Dad meant when he said to save money. But of course, like my kids, I didn't listen. Oh well....... BTW, congrats on the Y6b, hope you have many hours of enjoyment with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've become your Dad!!

Re: MSRP, I have paid that price, if there wasn't any other alternative. Just the other day, I bought one of Walthers' P2K F7 single A units to round out my EB train. It was sold out everywhere, and when Walthers said it was in stock, I wasn't going to run around trying to save a buck or two.

Like everybody else, I try to save money. Sometimes, the difference is minimal enough to not worry about saving $$, and I'll pay retail. Other times, it's big money. I was at Best Buy yesterday, looking for a new Hard Drive. The Western Digital 160GB one was $83. Newegg had the same model for $49, though it was the OEM version (no packaging, CD, Manual, etc.). Best Buy did have a spot marked for a closeout version, $62. I would have bought that at BB, but since the were out, I wasn't interested in paying 40% more.

So, for me, it's 'It Depends'....

Kennedy

The Y6B will be here Monday, UPS. FYI: It was shipped from Daytona Beach. Did you notice the Bigboy is sold out?

Joe, I know what you mean about saving. My Dad always preached the same thing to me. I always told myself there was one big difference...I never had anything too save. I look back now and see a lot that I didn't "have-to-have-it-now" things:eek: . Fortunately, about ten years before I retired, I woke up and started the retirement prep. BTW: your hobby shop sounds ideal. I found mine trying to con me with his so-called discount. He started marking items above (yes...above) MSRP and then giving me the agreed discount:mad: . I confronted hime with it, he got pissed, and I haven't been back in 2 years;) .

Kennedy, oh yeah, sometimes we have to bit the bullet and pay MSRP and like you, I'm not overly concerned with small item prices because we are only talking a dollar or so.

Speaking of FTD, they have an "Odds and Ends Sale" going on now, received an email today on it. PCM N&W Y6b 2-8-8-2 No Sound: $199 and With Loksound: $249.

Frank

I've had two of these, and I wouldn't take another one if they gave it to me. On the first one there was an intermittent shorting problem where the locomotive constantly stuttered and stopped after running a few feet. PCM tried to troubleshoot it via email with me a few times and nothing they suggested worked, so I sent it back. They couldn't figure it out then, either, so they sent me a new one. Same problem, same sequence of non-resolution, so I sent the 2nd one back for a refund. As a result, I'm very leery of any steam locomotives by PCM.

:eek: That's not very encouraging with mine due here in about an hour from now. All other reports I have read were good to very good. I will let you know soon.:confused:

I got it and tested it for well over an hour and no problems. The Start manual is pretty weak and I will download their more detailed on-line manual so I can customize the CV's. So far, I can tell you that the Y6B is incredibly smooth and quite running, the sound is good...but I will report all in another thread. Don't want to get of topic very much here;) .

On Topic:
Great response/shipping time and thumbs up to Factory Direct Trains.:) :)

Here's an update on a couple of pre-orders I placed before my self-imposed ban on all futures pre-orders:

TOWER 55 - CANADIAN PACIFIC ES44AC #8728
FACTORY PAINTED RED AND BLACK, LETTERED, LIGHTS
AND DITCH LIGHT.
Thank you for your deposit amount of $50.00 processed
on July 11, 2007
Current status: delivery date still unknown.

T55-EA-9091-3 TOWER 55 - MONTANA RAIL LINK SD70ACe #4309
FACTORY PAINTED DARK BLUE AND BLACK,
LETTERED, LIGHTS AND DITCH LIGHTS.
The price for this model has not yet been announced.
Thank you for your deposit amount of $50.00 processed
on May 22, 2007
Current status: delivery date/price still unknown.

So I've had money tied up in deposits for a year in one case, and 14 months in another. And still no projected delivery dates!

I don't know abut you guys but I would ask for my deposit back. If enough people who preordered did this, it might get them off the dime. Enough time has passed since the name change issue that I don't buy that as a reason any longer. Something else is happening and I suspect undercapitalization is the issue. If that's the case, a Chapter 11 filing may be around the corner and you'll never see your deposit money or your locomotive. I think people have been more than patient but having $100 at risk for more than a year and still no delivery date is far beyond my risk tolerance.

Right on Jim, not sure if Chapter 11 is close yet, but the whole name change does not help money wise...

The cost to bring ourselves out to California along with product, show materials, and all of the support material that must be purchased to have a professional display is quite expensive. We made a decision not to attend so that we could use the funds to further the development of our business.
http://t55products.com/news/index.php?p=122

I just hope this doesn't bust Brian's business, and just turns out to be a long rough patch.

Back