Random Track Plan thoughts From the mind of Hanson!

I Had another Brain Fart! This track plan is the brain child of one I created for dan but in N scale! 9x13 room size, mainline radius are min 20" and 16.5 in yard, Switch road minium radius 12.5", #7 switchs on the Mainline road and #5 on the switching line.
dadslayout033.png

Yeah I suppose a hard copy is what I want, so I can open it up on my end in RTS 8 and play around with it a bit on my end.

Yeah I suppose a hard copy is what I want, so I can open it up on my end in RTS 8 and play around with it a bit on my end.

The RTS can't do that, more or less you have to start from scratch! The track plan is a oval though and easy enough to draw any ways:)

~Layout size: 9'x13'
~Track: Atlas Code 55
~Min. main line Radius: 15"
~Switch size: #7
~Grade: 2 to 3% no more.
~Red track is the hidden mainline.
~Train length max is 12'.

dadslayout040b9x13.png

This is just a plan of the main line. Spurs, stations, and towns haven't been drawn in yet! Access hatches are planed for above the hidden yard ladders. I plan to run Union Pacific RR. I haven't decided yet on type of scenery yet but I quickly drew in some mountains to see how it looks! This is just a random brain fart, I kinda like the plan. The main line action looks fun....JMO

Any thoughts?

Chris, I like that plan too. The mountains are good view blocks and everyone likes tunnels. I'm confused as to how you are going to hide those red tracks. I'm assuming you need to go below grade somehow but I'm having trouble figuring out how you'd do that.

Chris, I like that plan too. The mountains are good view blocks and everyone likes tunnels. I'm confused as to how you are going to hide those red tracks. I'm assuming you need to go below grade somehow but I'm having trouble figuring out how you'd do that.

Jim, there's two levels to this layout. I'll post a pic with only the visiable track age! that should clear up the confusion and you can see the plan can just about fit any era and any location! I'm thinking Some where in California or western Navada Not sure yet? Any body got any ideas!

Here's just the visiable trackage:
dadslayout040c9x13.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed some of the plan around, cleaned up the hidden staging and lengthend the lower mainline passing some. and played around with the scenery......
Dadslayout0001a9x13.png

dadslayout0001blowerlevel.png

dadslayout0001cscenicareas.png

OK, Chris, I think I get the two level idea now. Looks workable but it's a big project. Have you thought about doing a single level now, leaving space to go to a second level later? If you're like me, I get discourages when big projects on paper start getting transferred to to time and muscle in real life. :)

OK, Chris, I think I get the two level idea now. Looks workable but it's a big project. Have you thought about doing a single level now, leaving space to go to a second level later? If you're like me, I get discourages when big projects on paper start getting transferred to to time and muscle in real life. :)

Not much discourages me any more! I'll start it when the cash flow is better until then I wait. I had way smaller projects that demanded way more from me than this;) No such thing as discouragement...... just minor set backs when it comes to doing something fun!:D :D :D Cash flow is my only real enemy, if the flow is good, less than a year! Bad cash flow.........:mad: :mad: :mad: we sit and wait! I'm not in no rush!:) :) :) :) Me and Job have a lot in common!;)

You've always had a good attitude about things like this, Chris, so you can probably pull it off. Like you said, cash flow is always a problem. I think it was Chip (Spacemouse, where is he, anyway?) who said to plan on $10 a square foot for the cost of a lyout, minus engines and rolling stock. Take what you've planned and multiply it out. You'll need a lot more lawns to cut....or win the state lottery (void in Alabama). :)

Looks nice. Man I wish I hadn't gone and bought all that code 80 sectional track a few years ago. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW: Jim, if i win the lotto which I don't play! Rex better look out! I envision a ware house size! LOL's The layout isn't really all that complex, it just looks harder than it is. The more I arm chair the plan the more I'm liking it! 15" radius curves is the only major concern I have.....

Yet another possible Idea!

Now I have this idea, get rid of the 15" min. radius in exchange for the min. radius of 18.75" and get access to the other door to the train room! The last plan blocks the outside doorof the train room which is located in the upper RT side of the room! The layouts main line is a bit shorter and fewer switchs+ Cheaper to build! I haven't come up with the possible Sidings or Town layouts yet. this plan should be way easier to build hence there is no grades! Let me know what you thinks!:D

Dadslayout0002a.jpg

Back