Random Track Plan thoughts From the mind of Hanson!

Thoughts. You'll be bored before you get to the scenery stage.

You want a layout that will grow as you grow in the hobby. This one is a stub end track.

Check out these 4 x 8 design from one of my design contests.

2007 4 x 8 Design Contest

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see the plans! wonder why I can't?

Any ways I never draw/plan in spurs or yard's I do that further on when I chose a plan I like! Or If some one out there likes the mains they can add to it as they see fit! I'll show you a plan that went a little further with!

It's a little harder to see, but I like it better. But I can't tell more than a generality about it. The first two don't have any real opportunities for sidings or industries--even if you could do them later.

new layout plans.....Just thinking out loud!
hansonfamilylines9x13II.png

hansonfamilylines.png

dadslayout031.png

dadslayout032.png

With my new layout project, I've tried to start with my railroad's "purpose" and let the track plan be driven by that.

Chris, I actually like the first track plan the best except for that three foot long removeable bridge. Things like that give me the willies. :eek: You could bring out the the benchwork about two feet over the desk, rearrange the industry tracks on the other end, and have enough room for a loop at either end so you wouldn't need the bridge. Riverrotter has a good point though. What is your railroad supposed to to and how does your track plan help the railroad accomplish its purpose?

Chris, I actually like the first track plan the best except for that three foot long removeable bridge. Things like that give me the willies. :eek: You could bring out the the benchwork about two feet over the desk, rearrange the industry tracks on the other end, and have enough room for a loop at either end so you wouldn't need the bridge. Riverrotter has a good point though. What is your railroad supposed to to and how does your track plan help the railroad accomplish its purpose?

Remember these are just random thoughts(plans) that pop in to my head and I'm tring to leave it to some one else to do with them as they please!

I don't mind Removable bridges, if their done RIGHT! I really wanted to maximize room. My train room is also my office and place to just hide:D I was thinking of a around the room with out a cluttered look! I done a plan with balloon tracks rather than the bridge and it made the room real small real fast. Trust me the bridge is a way better deal;)

I should have labled things better, so the Idea was more relevent! Its a UP RR type of thing. Some where in the mid west grain belt and all the industrys are supporting a Grain growing community. I like the first plan too and I like the 3rd on too...... I'm just playing around here nothing serious just messing around! Just Random thoughts from a brain that the sun has baked over the years!

I like a mix of the first and second.

You should come up with a random thought for a layout about the size of the thing I am working on now.

its about... oh a 2 foot wide L, 8 feet by 5.5 feet

I like a mix of the first and second.

You should come up with a random thought for a layout about the size of the thing I am working on now.

its about... oh a 2 foot wide L, 8 feet by 5.5 feet

ok, I'm game! 8 by 5'-6" L shape thats two foot wide? is that correct? what radii of curves? continous running? can I go wider than 2'? My current layout is 51"x64" and is 28" wide..... http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8278
Is this something your after?

Tell me where to go from here?
dansRR.png

roomsize.png

There you go, 2 feet wide all the way around (not much extra room in here).

Min radius can be 18, although I would like some 22"

I pretty much thought about switching layout, although, I may find a way to make a loop.

Also, I thought about the main line being across the back

roomsize.png

There you go, 2 feet wide all the way around (not much extra room in here).

Min radius can be 18, although I would like some 22"

I pretty much thought about switching layout, although, I may find a way to make a loop.

Also, I thought about the main line being across the back

Is the 89.5" total room width or isle width? second is this HO? or N?

does this look close to the room?
projectlayout.png

wheres the door and which way does it swing?

First random thought, 22" and 24" radius curves!
projectlayout01HOscale.png

Let me go tink some more!:D

I tinked more this is another random thought!
projectlayout2.png

Here's some thing diffrent! I had to use 18" radius here.......
projectlayout03.png

Back