Railroad Poll

Which roadname would YOU rather use for a layout?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other for me. The period I am modeling was a time of many roads passing nearby. NKP, Monon, Wabash, C&O, Pennsylvania, NYC. This collection gives me great latitude in the motive power I can run. And I love 'em all.

So, I guess this is a non-prototypical setup. So, I added NW. Besides, it's MY railroad, right?

I also like passenger trains ALOT!! I have the Hiawatha, The Zephyr, and other high profile trains and have reserved the Broadway Limited. They sometimes see track time also. Gotta love this hobby.

Bob

Well, I'm pretty sure that most people here know that I like SP, I think I might have said that a couple times on here.:rolleyes:
But you know the funny thing is, I don't really have a favorite railroad. I like CSX, Conrail, Chessie System, Norfolk Southern. Pretty much if its loud and on flanged rail's I like it. And yes, I still get a kick out of watching UP trains running through. I still miss the old tunnel motors, but the new 70ACE's and GE ES45's are starting to grow on me.;)

When I do build my layout, it will be Illinois Central based, but not strictly prototypical. For example, I really like SD-9's (which the IC didn't have), but I've already painted one up and numbered -- found a "gap" of ten numbers between the last GP-9 and the first GP-18, which I used. Planned era is late 1960's, before the merger with GM&O. I also like the N&W, so there will undoubtedly be an occasional N&W coal drag from time to time...

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Sorry, Scott... IIRC, the IC - GM&O merger was about 1972, so I plan to model circa 1969 - 1970. Of course, I may run some stuff from earlier or later periods, since I'm not going to go "100 percent prototypical".

Just something about a string of those N&W hoppers, with that "chunky" N&W lettering, that really catches my eye.

As an aside, a personal preference -- I really don't care for most of the mergers that I've seen in my lifetime. At the rate they're going, by the time I'm bouncing the grandkids on my knee, the only line that will be running will be "The Railroad"! :D

No, I know it won't go that far... hopefully... But I sure do miss the Illinois Central... and the Norfolk and Western... and the Pennsy... and the NYC... and the NKP... and the Monon... and the Great Northern... and the CB&Q... and the AT&SF... and the ACL... and the FEC... and on and on and on... :(

Regards,
Tom

Dennis, my first passenger car set was the Crescent!!! Something about that unit just grabs me. There is a guy in Michigan that detailed the cars(I bought them at a train show and still can't figure out how he cut the wood "paneling" that thin). The tops are "removable" to show the interior detail. They are absolutely AWESOME!! The interiors are completely done, complete with toilets!! One bathroom has a guy doing the "chore" reading a newspaper.

The price was a bit steep, but I can understand why, looking at the detail work done.

When I get back to the new house, I will take a few pics just for you. But, I'm not much of a photographer, even with an expensive camera like mine.

Bob

Other......by careful choices on industries, I switch between diesel era Milwaukee road (would love some electrics) and modern era MRL in Montana......neither made your list.

Poll??? Not a very bright question in my opinion.

I think it's a good question -- it sure has gotten a lot of folks involved! But it could have either been worded better (which MODERN railroad would you model), or have more choices for the answers -- either "A Fallen Flag", or list some specific "fallen flags" (in addition to the "Other" choice).

Regards,
Tom Stockton

i put down union pacific, because thats whats here. Although id do SP because there has been some patched Sp units go through here.

also id do the local also, which shares some line with UP so to have both would be np at all.

Other: Shortlines New Brunswick East Coast & Cape Breton & Central Nova Scotia
Freelanced: PEIR from 2005 to present

Other: Shortlines New Brunswick East Coast & Cape Breton & Central Nova Scotia
Freelanced: PEIR from 2005 to present

Hi Stephen very interesting. do you have any photos of your modeling. I guess you can see by my signature why my interest. I have the decals to do a couple of NBEC (it's feasible since they own the coal road in Sydney)
What are you using for the CB&CNS locos?

Cheers
Willis

Hello Willis,

I have a pair of Hobbycraft RS18's as 3627 & 3675, four Genesis SD45-2 for HATX fodder, a fleet of Roundhouse five-bay coal hoppers, 11 SD40's for CFMG/NBEC, five C424s, and another pile of RS18's for conversion to RS18u's. Pretty much everything is boxed up at the moment so no pics:(

Throw me in the Other category too...Milwaukee Road in the early 70's....and Jeff, once upon a time I thought it would be AWESOME to try and model Wash state...don't know how the heck I could configure something that magnitude without about six FULL sheets of plywood...but the ROADS...GN, NP, SP&S, UP, Milw Road...and if you wanted to 'cheat' a little, you could throw in SI...I remember seeing their rolling stock still floating around, but I think their power was gone by the time I was thinking of modeling trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back