Question about Stewart Hobbies F-Units

CurlSnout

Henna Gaijin
Greetings from Planet 10,

I'm considering purchasing one of Stewart Hobbies' F-units - specifically, Stewart Hobbies #5222 F3AB Set Phase II Chicago Burlington & Quincy #9962A/B (fact is, I'm having a hard time locating ANY HO-scale CB&Q F3 models, from any vendor).

I own several F-units, but so far none from Stewart Hobbies. I understand that these units come with "user-installed detail parts". Can someone who is familiar with these models give me some idea of what this entails (for example, few parts vs many; snap-on vs glue, etc.) and also maybe provide a general opinion regarding the overall quality of the Stewart Hobby F-units? I realize this is subjective, but I would appreciate input from others who have first-hand knowledge - this represents a sort-of expensive purchase for me.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated,

cs

I bought 8 Stewart F-units back in the early 1990's, and - even though they are short on micro-details (grabirons, etc.) - they are really sweet runners! I believe mine have Kato drives in them, I don't know if Stewart kept using those or not.

I'd go ahead and buy them, especially if CBQ F-units are as hard to find as you say they are.

Stewart F units are smooth performers. Like Ken said, they are short on detail, but that makes for an inexpensive project. I vote two thumbs up for Stewart. ;)

Interestingly, we're working on a CB&Q F3 set right now. The A unit just got Soundtraxx electronics installed. We still have to add the small details. We got these used at a trainshow but they look like new. The A is one of the older Kato drive units (we have both Kato and Buehler (sp?) drive units and they all run great). Strangely, the motor was bad in the A unit and required an new Kato HM5 motor to get it running. That's the only Stewart I've ever heard of with a problem.

Here's a couple of our Stewarts.
123176996.jpg

Thanks for the replies and helpful information. It looks like I have the choice between:

Stewart Hobbies CB&Q F3A/B #9962A/B - $125 (+ shipping $)

and

Athearn Genesis CB&Q F3A/B #9961A/B - $199 (+ shipping $)

Anybody want to express an opinion, one way or the other, regarding which might be the happier experience?

Thanks again,

cs

Thanks Grande Man! :D

As the others have said, Stewart units receive great compliments for smooth running. The 'user installed' detail parts are basically the horn and truck details...a simple task you will measure in minutes, not hours :)

I also have the set you originally listed (691-5222) for $120 + shipping.

http://www.sushob.com/product.php?productid=17163&cat=0&page=1

I'm also offering free standard USPS shipping (Parcel Post) on orders over $65 right now. You won't see it promoted anywhere on my site, but it will show up as a shipping option for $0.00 when you check out. ;)

I just submitted my order (for the set I originally listed - 691-5222) with sushob and I look forward to joining the ranks of satisfied Stewart runners. I took advantage of the free shipping; these days every dollar saved on one train goes toward another train.

Thanks everyone, for your input and help.

cs

I just submitted my order (for the set I originally listed - 691-5222) with sushob and I look forward to joining the ranks of satisfied Stewart runners. I took advantage of the free shipping; these days every dollar saved on one train goes toward another train.

Thanks everyone, for your input and help.

cs

Great news! Nate will take good care of you. Let us know what you think of the Stewarts when they arrive. BTW, Nate also carries the Cal-Scale detail kits for them. They are very nice parts. We did LGM's F9 set with Cal-Scale parts.

Thanks for the order! I'm catching up with some shipments that came in today, but I should have the CB&Q set ready to go out on Monday.

I don't have the Cal Scale parts listed on my website yet (though I eventually will), but the detail kits are available.

#190-519 Cal Scale Diesel Detail Kit F/FT A Unit
List Price: $12.50 Your Price: $9.34

#190-520 Cal Scale Diesel Detail Kit F/FT B Unit
List Price: $12.50 Your Price: $9.34

Do the Cal Scale detail kits come with documentation/instructions indicating what goes where and how to accomplish the detailing (i.e., required tools and procedures)? Can someone provide me with some idea of how involved the procedures are (I realize this is a vague request).

I would love to have locomotives sporting as much detail as (realistically) possible, but I have to confess to being a novice (I don't know my lift rings from my ladder grabs - but I'm learning). I don't want to ruin my new locomotive through botched attempts at clumsy surgery. And without knowing what is involved, I don't know whether or not I have the proper tools.

I've been searching the web for more information on the kits listed above (#s 190-519 and 190-520), and I can find links pointing to parts lists for the kits and vendors offering them for sale, but so far haven't found any documentation.

Thanks again,

cs

Do the Cal Scale detail kits come with documentation/instructions indicating what goes where and how to accomplish the detailing (i.e., required tools and procedures)? Can someone provide me with some idea of how involved the procedures are (I realize this is a vague request).

I would love to have locomotives sporting as much detail as (realistically) possible, but I have to confess to being a novice (I don't know my lift rings from my ladder grabs - but I'm learning). I don't want to ruin my new locomotive through botched attempts at clumsy surgery. And without knowing what is involved, I don't know whether or not I have the proper tools.

I've been searching the web for more information on the kits listed above (#s 190-519 and 190-520), and I can find links pointing to parts lists for the kits and vendors offering them for sale, but so far haven't found any documentation.

Thanks again,

cs

The Cal-Scale kits do come with instructions, but you'll still need some prototype knowledge as they are somewhat generic. The Stewart shells have "dimples" that allow you to precisely drill the holes for the grab irons. You'll need a had drill and bits (#74, if I remember correctly). I'd suggest MicroMark for your tooling needs. A magnifying flourescent lamp set up is handy too.

Detailing is a somewhat tedious project when you're new to it. I hated it at first but really enjoy it now.

The directions for the detail kits are simply a series of photographs depicting the parts mounted in the correct locations. This type of detailing does take some patience. In addition to the tools Grande Man suggested, I would also recommend a small pair of tweezers or the like to position the parts. Don't forget that the detail parts are undecorated, and will need to be painted to match the loco.

The directions for the detail kits are simply a series of photographs depicting the parts mounted in the correct locations.

Maybe that's why I like the Cal-Scale kits so much. I do well with pictures.:D

BTW, I need to order a couple of more kits soon. Can you handle such a small order for me?

Maybe that's why I like the Cal-Scale kits so much. I do well with pictures.:D

BTW, I need to order a couple of more kits soon. Can you handle such a small order for me?

Absolutely! I don't have a minimum order amount or anything like that. :)

I'm having a hard time locating ANY HO-scale CB&Q F3 models, from any vendor.
You're kidding right? In addition to the Stewarts others have been talking about, Precision Craft is having a big sale on the F3 passenger units in ABA. Genesis, BLI, Intermountain, and Proto-1000 all make the freight units.

Can someone who is familiar with these models give me some idea of what this entails (for example, few parts vs many; snap-on vs glue, etc.) and also maybe provide a general opinion regarding the overall quality of the Stewart Hobby F-units?
I run mine straight out of the box. Anytime I start adding details they get broken off by clumbsy people at operating sessions. The Stewart (both the original Kato and the current Buelher<sp?> drives) are in my opinion the finest drives on the market today. They are the closest thing to a trouble free unit I've come across. Two units will pull 65 cars up a 2% grade around a 36" curve (although slipping), but 55 with no slip). I can't even figure out how to measure the pulling power of three.

You're kidding right? In addition to the Stewarts others have been talking about, Precision Craft is having a big sale on the F3 passenger units in ABA. Genesis, BLI, Intermountain, and Proto-1000 all make the freight units.

Not kidding. I was looking for a passenger set. The Precision Craft set looks very nice and does seem to be out there in abundant supply, but I'm afraid it's beyond my grasp, economy-wise. I know that other manufacturerers produced CB&Q passenger sets, but the list of vendors I located who actually had/have units in stock and for sale was very short.

Ya know, the P1K F units are something that should be mentioned. The drives aren't up to Stewart level, but they are very good. The shells have molded in detail which isn't nearly as convincing as a custom detailed unit, but they can be improved.

Here's a P1K shell (this one is on a Stewart drive). The pics is small, but the grab irons have been highlighted and the unit weathered.
339793833_bc9cb58a16.jpg

While obviously not CB&Q, this is another P1K unit with the same "detailing" but a much better pic. As you can see, the highlighted grabs do enhance the model.
DSC05645_edited.JPG

Nice pics Eric I just bought a PK2 and it runs and looks very nice . I also recomend a little hand drill. It looks like an excti knive but it is a drill. very nice for doing some small detail work and you control how deep or how much you want to drill because it is good old man pwoer. I picked mine up at Sears and it is very handy indeed !!!!

Thanks for posting those photos, grande man. I'm still learning which manufacturers have produced which models and road names, and trying to get a sense of how the different makers rank with respect to aesthetic appeal (i.e., "looks" - detail level, fidelity to prototype, etc.) and "run-ability" (is that a word?). There is certainly ALOT more out there then when I was doing this as a high school student.

Anybody have any of the F-Units produced by InterMountain Railway and want to offer impressions/opinions?

Back