Question about sound/ price differences

Was just looking at some online hobby dealers, Blue Ridge Hobbies, 1st Place Hobbies, etc. Most of the Atlas engines with pre-installed DCC and sound were running around $175 and up. My local hobby shop, they run around $210 to $270. I looked on ebay, and found a ton of them on there advertised as new in the box. They had a Buy it Now price and shipping down in the $125 range. Alot were around $150 or so after shipping.

How are these guys able to sell them for so much less than the hobby shops, including the big ones online? I saw several with a starting bid around $70 with $10 s/h....no bids yet and only a day or so left. So they could probably be had for less than those BIN prices.

Also saw some Broadway Limited engines, pre-installed DCC and sound for around $135 including shipping. I've never had any experience with BL. How is the quality of their engines compared to Atlas. As is smoothness of running and detail? Also, how is the quality of the sound?

I'm still in the process of getting started on my layout, but plan to go DCC and figured I'd have 2-3 sound engines for this prices I saw in the hobby shops. If I can get them for some of the prices I saw on ebay though....I may end up with at least 10 or more with sound.

nsconductor, this is a matter of sells volume. Ebay sells are exactly that. Just sells with no service. They buy in higher volume than most local hobby shops so the price can be cheaper. The key to online sells and local is determining the shipping price plus the item as opposed to the local hobby shop price plus taxes. Look more at the buy it now options than the starting price for an auction. You will see that by the time a loco actually sells the final price maybe $10-$15 dollars cheaper than the local hobby shop. I buy from both my local hobby shop and online. If you buy a loco online always send a ton of emails asking what to do if you get the train damaged on arrival and how to send it back. Also, ask them if the train breaks in a week or so who is responsible? Can you send it back to the online dealer or do you have to send it back to the manufacturer? Does the loco come with factory warranty and will you get a sells receipt for proof of purchase. Most manufacturers will not take anything back without one. When you find a reputable online dealer stick with them. Internet sells are good but do take the time to buy from your local hobby shop and support them. They will be around to help you personally and discuss face to face any problems with trains and equipment you have.

In regards to Broadway Limited. They are great trains and you will not be disappointed. I have a Broadway Limited Blueline AC6000. This model to be exact. The road number in the image is not correct, but the loco is the same. Click on the link and you can read more about it.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/bli...csx631highditchltbluelinesounddccreadyho.aspx

AC600012forweb.1.jpg

I have had no problems with the train. Great sound, good pulling and runs smooth. I cannot compare to Atlas because I do not own any. You can see the list of trains I run in my signature. I can honestly say that I have no trouble with any of the brands below. Sure, some are cheaper and will not last as long but that is to be expected. Spectrums, Broadway Limited, Proto2000, Rivarossi, and MTH all use higher end motors than the standard trains you buy for $30-$45 bucks. Weight and torque are also big factors. Higher end trains pay more attention to detail than lower end trains. The main thing is buy what fits your budget and your needs.

I almost forgot. Here is a youtube video of my blueline so you can hear the sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyZzggmhYzk

Last edited by a moderator:
A good idea in comparing DCC/Sound engines is to look at completed auctions on Ebay.

Mudbug has a lot of good information too.

Good info guys! I've bought and sold alot on ebay over the years. Just didn't realize the markup was so high on these engines. I figured with the DCC soundboard already installed, it would be hard to sell it for much less than MSRP. I mean, take a $140 engine, add in a $90 sound DCC board, and you're right at $230. As for my local hobby shop, I do support them as much as possible. I'd say I'm usually about half and half as far as buying from them and buying online. Over the past 2 weeks I've bought 15 cars and 1 engine from the hobby shop. Bought some track and 2 cars online. When I go to buy my DCC system, I will likely try and get it where it's cheapest because it's so high. Planning on going with the Digitrax Super Empire Builder Xtra setup. Heard this was a pretty good system from the guys at the shop.

i've been researching some prices for Tsunami decoders. Did soundtraxx raise the prices on the Tsunami's? I used to be able to find them for around $90, not they all appear over $100.

ebay is cheep for the seller as there is no store front taxes, building costs etc... thats why they can sell things cheeper.

If you want good deals check the BLI website under the refubished deals. also look at factory direct trains for sales. I have bought most of my DCC/sound engines for $100 each. My rule is to support my LHS with everthing but locos and decoders. in the end I still spend more at the LHS and that helps keep his doors open.

My rule is to support my LHS with everthing but locos and decoders. in the end I still spend more at the LHS and that helps keep his doors open.

Same here! If everybody bought everything as cheap as possible, you'd soon have no LHS. And it would be an awful long wait for that one, small, critical item to show up in the mail!

The TSU-AT1000 is the standard board that will fit in all locos with a standard board such as Atlas, Athearn, and Kato. The only things it won't fit in are small switchers and newer Atlas locos with the sound chassis.

The more expensive TSU-1000 has a 9-pin JST connector, is shrink wrapped, and is slightly smaller. I wouldn't buy one of those unless space is a premium such as in a newer Atlas engine with the sound chassis. For a small switcher, I'd use one here if it fits, but if not, a TSU-750 will have to do.

The TSU-GN1000 is a drop in replacement for Genesis engines, but the AT board will work as well. The GN board is slightly thicker as it has board mounted capacitors while the AT board has a wired capacitor that you will need to find space for.

Was just looking at some online hobby dealers, Blue Ridge Hobbies, 1st Place Hobbies, etc. Most of the Atlas engines with pre-installed DCC and sound were running around $175 and up. My local hobby shop, they run around $210 to $270. I looked on ebay, and found a ton of them on there advertised as new in the box. They had a Buy it Now price and shipping down in the $125 range. Alot were around $150 or so after shipping.

How are these guys able to sell them for so much less than the hobby shops, including the big ones online? I saw several with a starting bid around $70 with $10 s/h....no bids yet and only a day or so left. So they could probably be had for less than those BIN prices.

Also saw some Broadway Limited engines, pre-installed DCC and sound for around $135 including shipping. I've never had any experience with BL. How is the quality of their engines compared to Atlas. As is smoothness of running and detail? Also, how is the quality of the sound?

I'm still in the process of getting started on my layout, but plan to go DCC and figured I'd have 2-3 sound engines for this prices I saw in the hobby shops. If I can get them for some of the prices I saw on ebay though....I may end up with at least 10 or more with sound.

Its endlessly debatable, but I think that most would agree that Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders are the best quality sound decoders available. I like the QSI decoders that are in Atlas Gold locomotives and the sound decoders in BLI Bluelines and in their Paragon2s, but I feel the Soundtraxx's ability to easily switch between horns and really customize its many pre-programmed sounds is above the features avail in the factory installed QSI's which require computer programming to change sound files.

I just ordered a Digitrax D164 decoder and will give that a try to see how it compares as it is 1/2 the cost of a tsunami but only loaded with generic sounds. Depending on that evaluation, Ill either buy another or use soundtraxx tsunamis exclusively for sound.

Good luck,

Brad

the only other non tsunami decoder i'de get would be the loksound GE FDL-16 decoder from Ulrich models. It is a custom sound for them. Its the only GE sound that has the sound of the compressor and air spitting noises.

...I just ordered a Digitrax D164 decoder and will give that a try to see how it compares as it is 1/2 the cost of a tsunami but only loaded with generic sounds. Depending on that evaluation, Ill either buy another or use soundtraxx tsunamis exclusively for sound.

Brad

One advantage to the DS164 is that on the Digitrax website, there are many different diesel sound files that can be downloaded, edited, and programmed into the decoder using either the PR-2 or PR-3 programmers. Another advantage is you don't need a programming booster to program the decoder on the programming track. The only weakness in the downloads is while there are many diesels, (at least the last time I checked), there is only one steam file, UP3985, the Challenger.

The thing is, if you want an editable sound decoder where you can make your own sound files, I'd go with Loksound. Loksound and Tsunami have 16 bit sound, and Digitrax is only 8-bit which means lower quality and less sounds can be played simultaneously.

The thing is, if you want an editable sound decoder where you can make your own sound files, I'd go with Loksound. Loksound and Tsunami have 16 bit sound, and Digitrax is only 8-bit which means lower quality and less sounds can be played simultaneously.

Good point. I forgot about that. I just install and program them for the LHS, I don't use them.

Back