Proto 2000 PS-2, my first involved kit build.

NIevo

Well I just received a set of 5 NP PS-2 covered hoppers I got off eBay for $35:D I didn't realize how much there was to the build on these so I thought I might as well document my first project of this magnitude, might be worth a few laughs...lol.

Here is what the kit looked like when it was all unpacked on the kitchen table. About 66 pieces in all:eek:

sept07301qf6.jpg

And this is why I do this while the wife is gone:eek:

sept07303hu4.jpg

Here is step one all completed. The brake cylinder, triple valve, hoses, and retainer valve all glued onto the bolster.

sept07307pb3.jpg

Well thats it for the first night. Only had about a half hour from the mailman getting here to the wife so I had to get the table cleared. I'll try to keep this page updated better then my layout page:D

You suck! 5 for $35!! I'm pissed and jealous at the same time. I've been looking for UNDECS and I can't find them for less then $20 a piece. Congrats on the score!

From my experience putting these together you'll need a good Xacto knife and a pin vise. The underside requires some shaving to get the triangle braces in place. I also had better luck drilling out the air hose attach holes on the side with a #78 bit. The jack pads always gave me fits too.

I built six in a row and then had to check myself into an insane asylum for awhile. After that I went to Accurail ACF hoppers. I've still got one more P2K PS LO left to build and looking for more.

Keep the pics coming. I'm anxious to see how the build goes.

Yeah, I lucked out on this one. Actually Im kicking myself for not getting more and just reselling them. I won the bid for 4 of them for $29 and he said I could have as many as I wanted for the same bid price, so about $7 each. Well the NP ones were the only ones that I was modelling so I just took all 5, he had about 12-14 more in different roadnames that I coulda nabbed.:mad:

I know what you mean about the underside brace. I actually got those done too but haven't got pics yet. I ended up having to take them back out and shave them down some more to get them to fit without bowing the middle.

Now I just need to get some paint in a matching color to touch up where the pieces were cut off the sprue.

Wow, those are a lot of parts. Were the kits marketed as RTR? It's sure a lot more work than I would want to do when there are covered hoppers on the market that look pretty darn good for a lot less work.

No, they are kit cars. I agree, there are some darn good looking RTR's anymore, but for $7 a car and the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself, I'm pretty happy. Got a Intermountain RTR BN grain car for $17 the other day, I'll post some pics of it with the next set.

You suck! 5 for $35!! I'm pissed and jealous at the same time. I've been looking for UNDECS and I can't find them for less then $20 a piece. Congrats on the score!

I live on eBay anymore so I'll keep my eye open. Any specific roadnames or just undec.?

I've built two of those myself - I don't think I'd want 3 more... I'm just not very good at all the small brake lines and chains and such. Too darn much work!

I've built 5 or 6 of those hoppers. A very nice kit to build IIRC. A little easier than the Intermountain cylindricals I was building around the same time. I know I paid WAY more than $7 bucks each too! I guess there are still some deals left on E-Bay. Congrats.

I've gotten a number of the kits, all for around $5 each. The key to it (for me so far, and it seems like NIevo got it too) is to buy them in lots. Alone, the kits sell for ~$7. RTR for $10+, mine have come in lots, I got 6 for $40.50 the last time around.

They are a mighty task to build though. Might I suggest some of the Plano service airline brackets.

Hare's Art & Hobby in Alexandria, Louisiana has a 4 pack of Proto 2000 covered hopper kits for around $40.

I think the real pain-in-the-butts are the 2 Bay (visually only looks like a single bay) Airslide hoppers!

Well here's my first update. Got the underside of the hopper all done. I didn't glue the trainline to the body yet as its so small and fragile I know I'd break it along the way.

sept07310cy9.jpg

Here is the first end cage done. Added the brake wheel, bell crank and brake step.

sept07312hd5.jpg

Here are the two pieces together.

sept07316eg0.jpg

Nice assembly job so far. All those little parts are hard to get in all those little holes. :) It's almost too bad those cars don't run upside down with the amount of work you put in the underside.

Well I got the first end together. Still have to add the grap irons, but Im saving that and the trainline till the very end as they are so fragile. Spent all day yesterday at a train show and work so didn't have alot of time to work on it.

sept07325id2.jpg

sept07324or1.jpg

Here's my other project, a Western Pacific Centerbeam Flat by McKean. Not to hard except for all those dang tie downs!

sept07326ud8.jpg

sept07327zk5.jpg

where did you get the Mckean model? I just did a google and found nothing on them. Is this an older company?

It is a older kit, they were also sold under the Front Range brand. Your best bet is to try eBay, thats were I found most of mine. Found a BN Front Range kit at a train show yesterday for $6 though!

Nobody makes a 62' Centerbeam flat for HO anymore. Walthers makes a 72' but those are pretty long for a smaller layout or alot of tighter radius logging layouts.

Had the last couple days off so I was able to get it finished! I took pictures along the way so there's alittle updating here.

Here I got the trucks and couplers installed. Easiest part of the build:D

sept07359yn7.jpg

This is showing the top of the hopper completed. All the latches are a great detail but, man are they small!!! I have small hands and I had a hard time dealing with them.

sept07362os1.jpg

This shows a almost complete car. All thats left are the grab irons.

sept07365st5.jpg

sept07364nj5.jpg

Back