Preferred DCC Systems

Which DCC Systems do you prefer for use in the club and at home? Why?

• MRC

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Digitrax

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • Lenz

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • NCE

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
Brad,

What kinds of things does one need to watch out for when adding sound? I'm just starting my N-scale layout, plan to go with a NCE DCC system, and would like to add sound at some point.

Dave,

I am no expert as Ive only been doing DCC for about 2 years. But over that time, Ive installed around 20 decoders. With that being said...

I would say the biggest problems your going to run into, particularly in N gauge, is that of space and trying to find a good place to put a speaker and its enclosure so that you can get good sound out of the locomotive and decoder and still get the shell on it and have it run well and look good. This is, for me, and I think most guys would agree, the biggest challenge you routinely run into when doing a sound install.

Installing decoders is pretty straightforward on most modern/new releases. Some of the older locos out there arent 'dcc ready' and can be more of a challenge. Ive really enjoyed it. My advice would be start out with a simple install, then try a sound install, then try a hardwire (non dcc ready) install. Try adding backup lights, custom ditch lights, rear ditch lights when your skills improve.

I also learned a huge amount off of many of the incredible modelers on this forum. There is a vast amount of info on here and I find myself using the 'search' function alot. The guys on here are outstanding and always to give help, constructive criticism, and pointers whenever you like them.

I have the NCE PowerCab system and love it. Very easy. Everybody's got their favorite DCC system, and I really like NCE.

Have fun,

Brad

Brad,

What kinds of things does one need to watch out for when adding sound? I'm just starting my N-scale layout, plan to go with a NCE DCC system, and would like to add sound at some point.

Watch out for MRC. Their decoders suck and they sound horrible :D

Thanks, Brad. Since I'm basically starting out new again after a 30+ yr hiatus, I plan to start off with at least one diesel already DCC equipped and I may only do sound when I get a DCC steam loco.

I've already gotten a lot of good advice since I joined the forum, so I know there is no shortage of knowledge and expertise here. I do seem to have a little trouble getting folks to comments on my design ideas though, but maybe I'm just not giving it enough time. LoL

That design looks pretty interesting. I prefer layouts with a nice, long mainline run. Not by any means a technical review, just an opinion.

I forgot to mention that for sound decoders I like Soundtraxx's Tsunami line. They sound great and are easy to install. Also they make alot of decoders for N scale for you, particularly geared toward the Kato line.

I have 3 QSI sound equipped decoders. 1 is an Atlas Gold GP40-2 and the sound is ok, a QSI-unversal format installed in an Amtrak P42 with a K5LA horn, and a Broadway Limited AC6000cw with factory BLI sound which i believe is QSI.

The one thing I dont like about QSI is that outside of the usual CV adjustments, they arent as infinitely changeable than with the Soundtraxx. With the Tsunami, you can choose 15 different horns, with the QSI you get the one you uploaded. Also the Tsunami has alot of different settings for the sounds of the prime mover and other sound effects. Soundtraxx describes it as putting your decoder in your own private sound booth to adjust it.

I have only one Digitrax sound decoder. It is alright, not great, but to its credit, it was only a $35 decoder and I left it to transmit the generic SD35 sounds.

I dont have any Eok LokSound decoders. I am sure they are very nice, but I am just not willing to shell out that kind of $ when my untrained ears cant make out any appreciable difference between it and the Soundtraxx Tsunami.

enjoy,

Brad

I've heard Tsunami is one of the best. Right now I've been looking at Bachmann stuff, but I'd like to get a Kato steam loco. If it's really rather easy to do the decoder install, I might just do that and maybe save a few dollars. I'm sure I'd get plenty of comments just asking which decoder to use with a specific Kato loco. :)

As for the design, I admit I don't know what I'm doing and I guess I should have mentioned that. :) Trouble is, once you do that, you generally get a bunch of folks designing what they would do with the space rather than making specific suggestions for to your design. I've been there in the past and didn't enjoy the experience. I know there are things others wouldn't do, and I accept that, but I simply want to know if there are technical or operational reasons some or all of my design won't work. My first design had an incline that was too steep. That I got, so I changed it. It was also too busy for almost everyone, so I changed that too, though I probably would still be using it if not for the incline problem, I actually liked the amusement park ride aspect. But, the latest design has 2 mainline runs, one over 50' and another over 20'. I like that too, especially for N-scale. And, I'm going to see if I can make some or most of it a dual-mainline if I decide to use FlexTrack. Anyway, enough of that in this thread, that's the kind of stuff I would like to discuss in my thread. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do yourself a favor and save up for the Kato. You wont be disappointed...

It's not a matter of saving, even though I don't have a large budget. It's more a matter of knowing what is a good value. I'll spend the money, within reason, to get good value. Ask though and you get a ton of opinions. My last loco probably cost all of $5.95 at Kay Bee Toys back in the mid-70's. :)

DoubleDaz wrote,
If it's really rather easy to do the decoder install, I might just do that and maybe save a few dollars

When you do the installation, let us know how it went. :)

When you do the installation, let us know how it went. :)

I think I'm still months from even buying a DCC system, much less attempting a decoder install. Even though I'm retired, we have some other issues to deal with, like my wife's recent knee replacement and a 2-month trip coming up in April. Once I nail down my layout plans though, I'll start the benchwork. When I start laying track, I'll buy a DCC system (mostly probably NCE) and start comparing DCC ready/equipped locos with the goal of getting the best Kato I can afford.

I'm a relative novice, so my opinions are not really 'informed.' The last time I was in the hobby, DCC did not exist. Since getting back into it, I've been hampered by not having a local shop where I can get questions answered. The best shop I've found so far is about 2 1/2 hours drive from here, and he's pushing MRC. I have no particular feelings about it but do actually prefer it slightly to the Digitrax Zephyr which I also own. It's easier to use, and the hand-held feature appeals to me as part of the standard unit. I did buy a hand-held throttle for the Zephyr, but it cost extra, so I'll give a slight nudge to MRC.

I would like to try an NEC unit sometime, but nobody local, nor any of the shops I go to regularly handles them.

Well, the Zephyr is a basic system that can be expanded. If you buy any Digitrax system above the Zephyr, you would get a separate throttle as well.

The MRC is OK as a basic system, but if you're looking to expand, try NCE or Digitrax.

I took me a little bit of work to figure out how to program different DCC locos, but I'm very happy with the digitrax zephyr unit. Between this unit, my DS64's the connection unit for JMRI, this thing works great.

I have found NCE to work well for small and large (La Mesa Model RR Club - San Diego) layouts. A group I operate with did a lot of research and selected NCE and we are happy with it. We are running tethered and wireless with no problems.

For Sound decoders Tsunami appears to be the best from my experience. Also, my LHS, with guys with more experience than I have, definitely prefer NCE & Tsunami.

I have the Power Cab which I am trying to get a froend to buy so I can upgrade to the Pro Cab when I expand my layout.

Our club uses Digitrax since we concentrate on public displays and want to be able to offer a visitor a chance to run their non-decoder locomotive. I have it at home as well and am pleased with its performance.

Right now I am using a MRC Command 2000. It works fine but would like be able to control all the locos with a hand-held, couple locos and control their sound.
My local HS pushes Prodigy advanced and is $360CAD. The next HS is an hour drive that likes Digitrax and hates Prodigy. But the digitrax is $550CAD plus power supply.

Right now I am using a MRC Command 2000. It works fine but would like be able to control all the locos with a hand-held, couple locos and control their sound.
My local HS pushes Prodigy advanced and is $360CAD. The next HS is an hour drive that likes Digitrax and hates Prodigy. But the digitrax is $550CAD plus power supply.

That would be the top of the line Super Chief or Super Empire Builder. How big is the layout? How many engines are you going to be running at once?

The room is 14' X 10' with two main lines. Right now I have 9 locos. If I have two locos coupled running on each main line that would = 4. Plus any switching being done is in another room that is 9' long.

I should have also asked, what does the majority of other modelers in the area use? No matter what system, if you go with what most modelers are using, you have a built in problem solving base that can be used for any help you made need.

But based on what you did say, it sounds like all you really need is a Digitrax Zephyr. Its around $150. (Haven't got one, but I do use the SC.) It can sometimes be had even cheaper.

Best thing is as your needs grow, so does the system. The Zephyr can be expanded to just about anything you ever will need. Extra walkaround throttles, wireless, signals, etc. Plus, like all Digitrax systems they are backward compatible with everything Digitrax has made up to this point.

Back