Parallel Track Distance

brubakes

When running two tracks parallel to one another what is the correct distance between the center line of each of the tracks?

I always use the distance of two switches (crossover) or a double crossover as my guide. At the club, we have the tracks spaced further in case one train derails, it won't affect the other train running on the parallel track.

I always use the distance of two switches (crossover) or a double crossover as my guide. At the club, we have the tracks spaced further in case one train derails, it won't affect the other train running on the parallel track.

Sounds like a good idea. Do yo know or have the specific measurement?

If you go to the NMRA website they have measurements for this as well as many other other useful measurements.

A little piece of advice. Although the NMRA might specify 2" track centers some switches like the Atlas 83 super switches end up being more, as mentioned, if used in a crossover pattern. Check your track pieces first. Of course, if you absolutely must have 2" centers, you can trim the Atals switches to make them fit.

I was playing around with a few things and spacing with both curves and straight track. 2" didn't seem like it was enough and 3" looked too far apart. I think I will be going with 2.5".

Back