Paint Booth Upgrade

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

NYC_George

George, Depending on the type of paints you are using I'd say. Anything that is flammable could cause an explosion hazard going through the vacuum which is not a sealed motor. You would still need to exhaust the fumes outside also. Using water based paints wouldn't cause any troubles though.
Jerome when I started the layout years ago I installed 2 inch PVC pipe around the room which gets exhausted to the wet/dry vac that resides in a ventilated structure out side the house. Isn't a wet/dry vac motor sealed, other wise the water would short out the motor? I'm using paints that are flammable. I guess I could give it a try and see what happens? If it's not workable I'll have to copy your method.

George

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Jerome when I started the layout years ago I installed 2 inch PVC pipe around the room which gets exhausted to the wet/dry vac that resides in a ventilated structure out side the house. Isn't a wet/dry vac motor sealed, other wise the water would short out the motor? I'm using paints that are flammable. I guess I could give it a try and see what happens? If it's not workable I'll have to copy your method.

George
George, you are correct. A wet/dry vacuum would be sealed. Shouldn't be a problem.

MikeGTW

Signalman, ESQ
Thanks to MikeGTW my paint booth got a much needed upgrade. Before it had a 20" box fan that would shoot the exhaust out of a window in the spare bedroom.
Now that we have a dedicated train room, I'm going to have it set in a permanent place. The exhaust motor Mike sent has a 2" fitting. After looking online at gas water heaters, I saw they use 2" PVC for the exhaust pipe.
So hear is the set up so far. I use 2 air filters before the blower motor, that way no wet paint ever gets through.
View attachment 43775View attachment 43776View attachment 43777View attachment 43778View attachment 43779View attachment 43780View attachment 43781
Jerome I forgot to check it but do you see that yellow cap ? that other round part may be open also and allow air to blow out into the room normally there is a rubber hose on it for water drain (condensing furnace) the other small one is vacumme

tootnkumin

Staff member
George, you are correct. A wet/dry vacuum would be sealed. Shouldn't be a problem.
For normal dust use, there is usually just a dust filter. For wet, that normally gets replaced by a foam filter to catch any solids and the intake to the motor/fan has a plastic ball in a cage that will float up as the container fills with fluid and blocks the intake.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.