Paint Booth Upgrade

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Thanks to MikeGTW my paint booth got a much needed upgrade. Before it had a 20" box fan that would shoot the exhaust out of a window in the spare bedroom.
Now that we have a dedicated train room, I'm going to have it set in a permanent place. The exhaust motor Mike sent has a 2" fitting. After looking online at gas water heaters, I saw they use 2" PVC for the exhaust pipe.
So hear is the set up so far. I use 2 air filters before the blower motor, that way no wet paint ever gets through.
20200201_120005.jpg
20200201_140707.jpg
20200201_144349.jpg
20200202_112729.jpg
20200202_112806.jpg
20200202_112822.jpg
20200202_112813.jpg

Burlington Bob

Looks great, Jerome! Have you had a chance to use it yet. I haven't had a chance to use mine yet and I'm curious if it will have a strong enough draft. I think it will, but I'm a total neophyte to airbrushing.

MikeGTW

Signalman, ESQ
Well now see you had it all figured out Mine is in my basement with a small squirral cage fan going to a dryer vent took a look at it thought about changing it to one of the furnace fans and got distracted and besides it looked like work

NYC_George

Jerome nice project and it's what I'm working on right now. I have a 2 inch line attached to 5hp shop vac outside the house which I use to keep the place clean. I was thinking about just hooking the paint box exhaust up to that when painting. Do you think there would be any problem with that?
George

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
George, Depending on the type of paints you are using I'd say. Anything that is flammable could cause an explosion hazard going through the vacuum which is not a sealed motor. You would still need to exhaust the fumes outside also. Using water based paints wouldn't cause any troubles though.

I base my opinion on 38 years working in the fuels industry. Everything we use is explosion proof and sealed. The gas water heater blower motor that Mike send me has a sealed blower unit separate from the motor. Exhausting gas fumes from the hot water heater still has some un-burned gases in it. Depending on the type of vacuum you have (wet/dry) would be a sealed unit. Hope that helps some.

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
wheeler, I think he's commenting on the redundancy of HOT water HEATER... if it's hot already, does it need a heater. Sounds like it's coming from the Department of Redundancy Department :D
Sorry, was reading it literally I guess. Dealing with idiots here at work this morning so my head isn't in a good place to catch humor I guess. But yes, I understand it now.

MikeGTW

Signalman, ESQ
Jerome went over to son's house last night drove about 25 mph roads were just ice
anyway he gives me another one it's a two speed what ? Tells me it's off a new two stage furnace hmmm

anyway the one's I get are off one of those hot air heater thingy's

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.