Organizing desk/workbench

Bristolman2012

After getting track somewhat laid and trains running , looking at my desk workbench decided it’s time to get things organized . I did make rolling stock coupler track , pivoting on a threaded rod to move out of the way when not needed and at a height that I can see wheel and track . What a mess on top / have more tools than I really need ! I Im thinking tools / parts for rolling stock . Plastic bins ?what does your bench look like ?
mike

My workbench is 18"x36", but I can only see 12"x14", the rest is covered with tools, paintbrushes often used paint bottles and a myriad of parts. I won't post a picture.
I do store parts in plastic bins. I don't always mark what's in them though!
08-02-19 001.JPG
08-02-19 003.001.JPG

I also have a pair of discarded file cabinets from work that I use to store Evergreen Styrene, surplus (yet to be used) switches, and the saved instruction sheets from structure kits. On them, I write down which paints I used on them so I can reference them if touch up is needed 10 years later. Very useful!
08-02-19 005.JPG

What do u use to catch the little parts that I drop 99% of the time ? Best liner / layer so parts don’t bounce off into oblivion ?
mike
Mike: Not Willie but. I gave up on trying to create a catch-all edge as stuff always seems to bounce over it. Took out the carpet so everything lands on the floor. Sure, have to flashlight around to find the errant parts, but I always seem to have 2P anyway, so 2 birds....

Later

What do u use to catch the little parts that I drop 99% of the time ? Best liner / layer so parts don’t bounce off into oblivion ?
mike
My floor is all laminate, even though stuff bounces I always am able to find it (so far). I am something of a neat freak so try to keep the floor very clean with very little there except my chair, air purifier, and a small home made storage container with several slots for parts and stuff. There is the benchwork legs also work table legs.

Stuff falls there all the time so no stranger to things getting away from me.

Dave LASM

mike
Like others, I just have a bare plywood floor, thus making it easier to find stuff. Yes, they do bounce. I also have a small rechargeable LED lamp to illuminate the floor when I do drop stuff. I generally find 99% including Kadee coupler springs.

I don’t have one now but I’m going to be getting another “bib” (or apron) that Velcro’s to the front edge of the desk.
It catches most stray bits and pieces but not the bouncy stuff as mentioned.

I’m going to try some type of catch basin on copper pipe , still giveable enough I can get my belly up close but catch those little buggers that get away . ( and that happens quite often ) .

After getting track somewhat laid and trains running , looking at my desk workbench decided it’s time to get things organized . I did make rolling stock coupler track , pivoting on a threaded rod to move out of the way when not needed and at a height that I can see wheel and track . What a mess on top / have more tools than I really need ! I am thinking tools / parts for rolling stock . Plastic bins ?what does your bench look like ?
mike
I have 3 big workbenches with a couple of smaller ones and a couple more temporary ones here in my basement. And storage shelves galore.
They all look like the aftermath of a bull moose getting turned loose inside a china cabinet, followed up with an F-6 tornado. :eek:
Funny thing is though, I still pretty much know where everything is at when needed.;) Well, okay - most of the time, maybe.🤪
It's my general, all-around model railroad and hobby/fix-it/build-it shop for anything and everything I care to drag down here and work on.
No doubt about it, my basement can best be described as a model railroad wasteland. 😁👍

After getting track somewhat laid and trains running , looking at my desk workbench decided it’s time to get things organized . I did make rolling stock coupler track , pivoting on a threaded rod to move out of the way when not needed and at a height that I can see wheel and track . What a mess on top / have more tools than I really need ! I Im thinking tools / parts for rolling stock . Plastic bins ?what does your bench look like ?
mike
I picked this workbench up by a dumpster, it is 4' wide and has a top shelf 1' wide, fits perfectly under layout and also acts as a support. It is made from square steel tubing and boards from Menards. My room is only about 11' x 12' so it is nice to work right there:

IMG_4501.JPG

my layout is about 40" high, and I have some drawers under the bench as well. Currently working on a project

IMG_4504.JPG

Thje rest of the room is pretty empty, how I like it. Working on a backdrop plan presently.

Dave LASM

Next job in process is I started suspended drawer under desk . Making it wide enough for tools and Ho rolling stock parts and anything else I can fit on there , will do divider inside of drawer after I get the drawer slides and mount base , but I think I’m making progress .
mike

mike
I stretch an old large terry cloth bath towel across my lap (feel like granny going on a buggy ride). Trick is to keep it stretched tightly.
If it sags a stray part will fall in your lap and roll away under your workbench. It's great for clear and really small parts - stretch the
towel tightly and thump the towel and the parts will bounce and become visible. Its also really handy when you need to wipe something
and your wipes are out of reach. I probably recover 98% of parts rolling off my bench.

dont parts get lost in terry cloth . I was thinking using white dish cloth ?
mike
For me the terry cloth seems to hold a part in the short fibers. I think the dish cloth might be too small. At least you have an idea or
two to try out. Trick is to bounce the cloth on your lap so the parts will jump up

U havent seen me try to get back up from floor after getting down with flashlight looking for the dropped parts . Going to try and avoid that senerio as much as possible if I can . Appreciate the ideas though . Thanks to all .
mike

well , happy to say drawer is installed and working well . Just wish ho hobby was as easy . Clutz when it comes to those small parts . Now all I have to do is organize parts and tools in drawer , but at least I will be removing the scattered stuff (some of ) that’s on top now . Onward .

I have 3 big workbenches with a couple of smaller ones and a couple more temporary ones here in my basement. And storage shelves galore.
They all look like the aftermath of a bull moose getting turned loose inside a china cabinet, followed up with an F-6 tornado. :eek:
Funny thing is though, I still pretty much know where everything is at when needed.;) Well, okay - most of the time, maybe.🤪
It's my general, all-around model railroad and hobby/fix-it/build-it shop for anything and everything I care to drag down here and work on.
No doubt about it, my basement can best be described as a model railroad wasteland. 😁👍
Ha, ha!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Geesh, y'all are only worried about your desktop(s). I have a whole shop to do. When we were on the road everything got piled into the shop to wait patiently. I try to get a little done each and everyday. Being frozen outside does not help as I don't wanna go to the dump. At least the TrainCave portion is pretty much empty.

As a side: are not desktops supposed to be cluttered? Proves that you are busy.

Later

Mines so cluttered can’t almost do anything except couplers because of pivot being above the desk .did get 60 percent of mess in drawer . Going to make another , have one for parts and the other for tools .onward !
mike

This is part of my workbench with the most useful item on it.

DSC00841.JPG

Just a cheap office type organizer which holds all my most used tools, Screwdrivers, strippers, pliers & cutters, pencils pens Etc.
Very useful and time saving not having to hunt for the tool required.

Back