Ordered My First

I've been drooling over the Blueline SD40-2's for quite awhile, and finally put my order in today (BNSF). :cool: It was pretty hard to pass up the great price on "Factory Direct Trains". This will be my first Blueline and from everything I've seen online, it should be a great addition to my layout. Now I just can't wait for it to get here!

They look ok, but I don't like how the prime mover sounds (sounds a lot like an EMD 567 first generation prime mover) in the loco and I don't like the chicken wire grills in the rear (most SD40-2s had corrugated grills)

Also, the Blueline SD40-2s (the older runs) may have an issue where you cannot program the engine on regular paged mode on the programming track. The software was upgraded afterwards to allow programming with paged mode, but the older stock will still have the problem. (BLI can upgrade the software for free, but you have to ship it back to them)

It's okay with me if it's not exactly prototypical. Heck, I'm sure when my layout is finished there will be several things that are not perfectly prototypical.

Finally Arrived

The Blueline SD40-2 finally arrived!

diburning, I see what you mean about the prime mover sounds. The loco sounds real good at idle and at low speed, but at the higher speeds it sounds a little off.

Overall, I'm very pleased. It has good detail, sound quality and runs very smooth. Programing was a breeze after I figured out how to install the decoder. I'm sure this will not be my last Blueline

Last edited by a moderator:

Back