IMG_3178.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3181.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3186.JPG

Dang! Nice pictures, Brad. That is a beautiful garden railroad woth some really unique bridges. Any idea how much mainline trackage they have? Who maintains the railroad. Looks like it wasn't cheap to build or keep going.

Nice shot of the 6900 and the 6023 also. Looks like someone is taking good care of those two beauties also. I can remember the 6900 in road service looking just that clean and shiny, back in the day when the UP still cared about their image and how their motive power looked. Long gone now, unfortunately. :(

that garden railroad looks like the display they put on around december at the NYC botanical gardens.

I keep wanting to go there and my Companys yard is only a few blocks from there. I drive for WN Morehouse which you take 75 south from 80 and Exit on F street and take it over the rail yard to Dahlman our yard is just at the corner of F and Dalhman. I see that Big boy every time I enter Omaha.

Wow, WoW, WoW,
That's the best looking rustic home-made structures outdoor layout that I've ever seen. That's a mouthfull. LOL
I kept all those photo's to use on my desktop. I'll chg. the pics everyday.
Love to visit that 1 day. FANTASTIC Photo's too.
Larry

Yes, WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! I love how all the bridges seem to be built from the tree trimmings also the buildings seem also to have matterials that came from the site as well! That's a real nice Park, I wouldn't mind working there! No Baseball fields or Soccer fields or football fields......just trains and nice landscape to work on! Where do fill out and application!

Chris, yes, it snows in Omaha - a lot! :) Since it's a botanical garden and nothing grows there in the winter, I imagine the staffing needs are pretty small once November rolls around.

They are always looking for voulenteers. You basically clean track and inform the public on all things railroad (prototype and model). The trains run in circles all day. The trains run all day from Memorial Day to Laborday and I think only on the weekends after that. Once the cold comes they move the trains and buildings inside for the holiday poinsetia display. Locomotives include Big Boy, Challanger, E9, and many other desiels.

Here is a pic from last winter:
img7632us9.jpg

img7642pl3.jpg

img7630my5.jpg

img7637lb8.jpg

Absolutely Incredible!
Thank you for the tour of such a magnificent display. I would be there from the morning opening until being forcibly removed at closing.:)

Brad, what scale is that. On page 1 I assumed it was G, but the indoor photos appear to be O?????? Great photos BTW!

The out door garden railroad is G scale. I assumed the inside one was the same? After looking at the photos I am not sure. Does G scale have track like that? The Poinsettia tree is 20+ feet tall so may be thats throwing off the scale of things?

Brad, from the track in the last picture, it looks like three rail Lionel O scale. I imagine taking up a G scale layout and moving it indoors is and then back out again is way too big an undertaking so they use O scale for the inside display. Very nice pictures and they did a beautiful job on the holiday decorations.

I have a friend here in Arcadia that has been trying to make up his mind for an Outdoor layout.
He's supposed to be over this weekend & I'm showing him all of these photo's & maybe that will change his mind. He likes the rustic stuff. His wife likes trains too, so, maybe these will help both of them to make up their minds.
He has a lot of property & 3 big ponds, so, we will see.

larry

I love the Botanical Gardens. I could sit and watch the trains run all day too. I might have to volunteer to clean the track one day (which it would probably take all day). It's good to see that they switch up what trains they run, I figured it wouldn't be as big as it was when I first went. They have storage/work shops that blend into the scenery that they keep the trains in. I would highly recommend anyone to go see. Pretty flowers at the gardens too!

Architectural Wonders of the World

Travel Abroad at Lauritzen Gardens This Summer!

Architectural Wonders of the World Exhibit
On Display to October, 2009

A favorite spot for many since its opening in summer 2007, the model railroad garden is a whimsical village of three-dimensional trestles, bridges and Omaha-area landmark replicas elaborately constructed from bark, vines, seeds, twigs and other natural materials. Seven G-scale model trains, twice the size of the more common O-gauge model trains, travel continuously through this miniature botanical world that is open annually from April through October.

Expanding the garden's enchantment beyond its borders this season are 13 of the world's most fascinating structures - architectural feats - that provide insight into mysterious civilizations of long ago. As you visit these structures, temporarily on display for this season's Architectural Wonders of the World exhibit, you will embark on a journey that imaginatively carries you to the far ends of the earth and well beyond Lauritzen Gardens' 100 acres.

All permanent and temporary structures, amazingly accurate in detail, were designed by Paul Busse and his crew at Applied Imagination in Alexandria, Ky.

The model railroad garden is maintained by not only garden horticultural staff but also dedicated volunteer engineers who keep the model trains running and have intriguing railroad and model train information to share. Enjoy your visit!

The Architectural Wonders of the World exhibit is made possible by a generous gift from the H. Lee and Carol Gendler Charitable Fund.

Open daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Open until 8 p.m. on Mondays and Tuesdays, May 11 through September 14

ARCHITECTURAL WONDERS OF THE WORLD
Boudhanath Stupa (Kathmandu, Nepal)

Eiffel Tower (Paris, France)

Great Pyramid of Khufu (Giza, Egypt)

Great Sphinx of Giza (Giza Plateau, Egypt)

Great Wall of China (China)

Hagia Sophia (Istanbul, Turkey)

Himeji Castle (Himeji, Japan)

Lighthouse of Alexandria (Alexandria, Egypt)

Machu Picchu (Peru)

Moai (Easter Island)

Petra (Arabah, Jordan)

Taj Mahal (Agra, India)

Tikal (Guatemala)

Brad, do you know who to contact to volunteer to run the trains? I wouldn't mind going out and cleaning track one day.

Not sure, but there is usually a voulenteer out there on the weekends you could talk to. The other thing, you might just call the gardens, I am sure they know who to contact.

Back