Northern steel--layout

If you are going to pour Envirotex for water you will need to paint at least the lower portion as the resin will melt any unprotected styrene. The photo is of the one of the ore docks on the Galveston club layout, ship is the Sylvan models ore carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought you might also get some ideas from this iron works. This one is totally scratched off the original blueprints, it is the Cranberry Iron Works on the "Tweetsie" circa 1899. Took a little over three months time to build and install.

Coolruehle Thank you for the link,i spent a few hours pouring over the pics and the stories. Thats a lot of reading when you click on the pics it takes you to the story.

Montanan The pics dont do it justice, it looks better in person and yes it is a great industry for a layout. Mine is going to be all steel related from the ore and coal docks to the mill and to the end producer, and everything in-between.

Mdcustom Wow, thanks for the pics and the inspiration. As for the water that is what i have been reading up on lately, on how to shadow the paint and to use mod podge for the water instead of the ready to use stuff.
I thought i over weathered :eek:
What gauge is that? the track looks like it might be narrow gauge.

cheers Ewan

Just a little update for those following along, i had thought about painting the ore dock about a week ago as i didint like the reddish colour.
Thanks to coolruehle for the goggle link,from looking at that site it reassured me to paint it.
Today was a little warmer -5 with the windchill, so i painted the dock the same colour as the BF and i must saw it doesnt look like a toy anymore. The colour is earth brown and with a little weathering it will look amazing.
I will take it outside tomorrow to take pics to see if that makes a difference in the quality of the pics.

cheers Ewan ;)

Iron-man: There are three different track gauges in the photos, standard guage is the left track under the materials shed, while the elevated pair there are 3' (which is what the Tweetsie is), the slag track is also 3' Tweetsie tractage. The straight tracks running on three sides of the casting floor are 20" guage for hand pushed flats which hold the 90 pound pigs. Note that where these tracks meet are small 5' long turntables that allowed the pigs to be stacked next to the standard guage load out track (no shown)

So i took pics of the ore dock after i painted it and it looks a lot better.The one pic is before and the the rest after it was painted.

cheers Ewan:rolleyes:

Glad I could help!

--snip--
Thanks to coolruehle for the goggle link,from looking at that site it reassured me to paint it.
--snip--
cheers Ewan ;)

Google Images is our friend.

So is Maps.Bing.com for great aerial views of different places, better than Google maps!

--Jon

Wanted to link those interested to this awesome aerial view of the former Bethlehem Steel plant taken last summer by a local aerial photographer:

http://flyinphilsflighthighlights.blogspot.com/2012/06/from-flight-on-saturday-june-9-2012.html

His page won't allow direct linking to the photo - there are two photos mid-page - scroll down and click the images to get a great view from above...

Aren't these direct links to those 2 photos?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-puuFUTGN1nE/T9UzBcGdFZI/AAAAAAAADlw/D3GnHOTxrX8/s1600/020.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M4pF6gPligY/T9UzBznpzNI/AAAAAAAADl4/G7ggGvKftJQ/s1600/021.jpg

Hi beiland I actually redd that thread from start to finish around christmas time, i saw in someones thread were they made reference to the steel forum? I searched all the way back to the beginning of the threads but couldnt find it, are you aware of it?

The pics you posted at the end, are they of our layout? I would like to see that in person.

cheers ironman

Hi beiland I actually redd that thread from start to finish around christmas time, i saw in someones thread were they made reference to the steel forum? I searched all the way back to the beginning of the threads but couldnt find it, are you aware of it?
Perhaps this is it?...I just googled steel mill forums,...there are some other references:
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/STEEL/

The pics you posted at the end, are they of our layout? I would like to see that in person.cheers ironman
Was that suppose to be 'your' rather than 'our' layout?

No, it is not mine. It was a couple of teaser photos from a batch I took a couple of weekends ago on a 'layout tour' in the Baltimore area (Aberdeen, Maryland actually). I'm going to post them all soon,...but I'm investigating the best photo hosting site to go with...I'm leaning towards Picasa.

BTW I was also looking thru the subject threads that talk about steel mills, and ran across yours here. I was still thinking about whether to post a reference to those pics here on your subject thread, as I did not want to distract from your personal project and planning. So let me know if you wish that I do or do not post that reference to someone else's steel mill on your subject thread...don't want to step on anyone's toes :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey beiland um no thats not it, it suposubly a thread on here somewhere. Do you mean aberdeen scotland?
I was born in arbroath, but haven't been home in along time. I have relatives that are big into trains. my older sister used to send them train stuff.

cheers ironman

Back