Northern steel--layout

I got a little something in the mail today for the mill, hope you like her.
I saw the same engine at our local show on the weekend for $114.00 plus tax, i got this for $42.00 including shipping from pennsylvania . Can you believe it, and our LHS are crying the blues.

Anyway she will look better with a coat of paint and decals, not quiet sure what to do with the theme yet. I was leaning towards bethleham colours.

Is there any mills that aren't covered so much.

Would like some thought and in put as i would like to do the rail traffic something obscure.

cheers EWAN

It is the single motor version, that is what it is showing on the parts break down. a that is maybe why there was such a price difference. I didnt know there where 2 versions, motor wise. Or were just getting screwed again, wouldn't be the first time.

I am working on the other package that came today, film at eleven.

cheers EWAN

No worries - you got the better of the two types! It is much easier to install a decoder in than the dual-motor version. I have a dual-motor and it's now a shelf queen, I don't feel like trying to figure out how to wire two motors on a single decoder (yeah I know it's been done, but it is a major PITA!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I never got a chance to get on line today as much of our city was out of power and there was all sorts of phone and internet disruptions.
We are getting hit by a norester right now, the weather station doesnt know how much snow we are going to get.

Sorry if this is of topic, you guys are like talking to family.

I will post some pics tomorrow of the mills new rides.

cheers Ewan

So these are the new rides i was talking about, there almost ready for the slag pit or the coal bunker. If you've seen my buildings you know they won't stay this way for long.
I should be laying track by the weekend, just have to finish the rolling mill.

cheers EWAN

So i got to weather the mill sections that you will see, the front wall only goes half way down and part of the roof will be removable to see the crane and the rollers a bit better. Hope you like, you guys said you like pics so here you go.

This build will be well photographed as i have had this camera well kind of collecting dust, so it is getting well used now.

cheers EWAN

So i finally got to finish the rolling mill, i am going to keep the roof off for now until the interior is done and then only part of the roof will be removable anyway.
The pics will be up next.

cheers Ewan

So there is 4 pics of the mill. The one shows were it will finally sit just in front of the electric furnace for quick shipments of molten metal.
The colour is not quiet right as the main colour was camo green with the rust hilights on top and then my dirty top coat.
I wish some one with more photog experience would chime in.

For pics i am not using flash and i just recently set up a giant work light for more light, but everything to me still looks orange. I think it might be the yellow insulation and plastic in the back ground bouncing the light.

Hope you like Ewan

Heres a few more to have a peak at as i know a pic is a thousand words. That yellow on the mill is actually rust orange and it is still quiet bright, but in the pics its yellow.
go figure.

Hope you like Ewan

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i finally got to do some more things done, first i finished the over head crane for the electric furnace and then i started my next project that is going to eat up some real-estate. I cant lay any track yet as i cant my road bed and the nearest train store is about 2hrs round trip, so that will have to what.

Hope you like the pics.

This is my next project, it will sit where it is with the ore boat in front and another dock with a crane in the for ground. I will have to extend the bench work here for the run up to the ore dock. Thats ok as i have 8ft before i hit the wall, who said track plans were carved in stone anyway, the bench work will probably be widened in this area as well.

Just a few more pics

cheers Ewan

Thank you for the kind complement, does it really show up that good?? I didnt think that it did, on my computer the pics looked kind of washed out. I have been using different types of lights to see if that was the problem.
Still working away on the ore dock, i yi i what a load of sanding to do.

cheers Ewan

WOW The furnace and the crane are both walthers kits, the furnace i bought 5 yrs ago for my last layout which was mostly passenger trains. I was going to add a large mill in another room, but it sadly was all torn out.
T he crane i just bought at a local show, its called the heavy overhead crane. I need a few more but they are hard to come by up here for some reason.

Thanks rico for the complements, you should see it in person, the pics i think don't do it justice. It looks better in person, the pics look washed out for some reason.

cheers Ewan

Just a quick question, has anyone seen one of these ore docks built? I was just wondering if it was repainted or just weathered on top of the plastic.
I like the colour, but i haven't weathered anything directly on the original plastic without priming first or adding a colour.
I might paint it a darker colour as the prototype photos i have show them a lot darker, it might just be a pain to paint.

Cheers Ewan

Just a quick question, has anyone seen one of these ore docks built? I was just wondering if it was repainted or just weathered on top of the plastic.
I like the colour, but i haven't weathered anything directly on the original plastic without priming first or adding a colour.
I might paint it a darker colour as the prototype photos i have show them a lot darker, it might just be a pain to paint.

Cheers Ewan
Just do a Google Image Search for the phrase "ore docks". You get a million photos.

Back