Norfolk Southern ? again

Dan's is a skillful key wording shop. They use "custom" and "rare" often. They do however have TONS of good stuff.

Some of the units appear to be weathered lightly. Some consider changing the road number to make them custom. Noticing a few are still sub-$70 which would be good if it holds.

Saw the light weathering, some just dry brushed and don't look so good IMO and others have some reasonable air brushing. My thing is when they noted "custom" it appears as if they have some more decals than usual or is that just me.

Did Kato have that many road #'s or were these purchased as un-decs and painted/decal work done to taste.

I beleive i would rather have BLI they seem to be more detailed than kato`s right out of the box but thats just me

Well custom or not... Kato's run beautifully and sure can handle quite a few cars on the drawbar... I'd pay $70 for a Kato any day. ;)

-Steve

just looking at this one in NS primer that would be a coustom paint job
same with this one

I have noticed a lot of "Custom" engines on EBay or "Rare" is just a few decals added or a diff. horn added or a number change. I have about 5 of the older Kato's & one engine will pull what it takes 2 of other brands. Mine are finely detailed, although I don't like plastic handrails. I do like the newer Kato engines because of the xtra added details.
I really don't think the prices that are on those diesels will stay that low. The prices on EBay have skyrocked in the last 3 months because of a growing economy. Sometimes you can find a better deal at your local or online hobbyshop. I look to see the prices on those diesels to double or even triple by the last bid, I might be wrong.

The prices on EBay have skyrocked in the last 3 months because of a growing economy"

i dont know about HO but in Nscale Norfolk Southern is as rare as
hen's teeth:eek:

Rare? If it is not referring to a grilled steak, then I want demonstrated characteristics and not mere verbiage.

Ebay prices

Use to be you could find some good deals on Ebay but it sems like to me the so called growing economy is not so growing and everybody is grasping at every dollar they can get out of somebody. look at the rolling stock prices, I would venture to say that 50 to 60% of what is there you can find at a local hobby shop of online for that price or in a lot of instances cheaper. And what is up with the shipping prices ? WOW! i saw a couple 3 or 4 that wanted 15 bucks to ship a loco or rolling stock there today! I dont want to get off on a rant here but gee whiz Ebay is getting out of control I think but thats just me.

Ebay prices

Use to be you could find some good deals on Ebay but it sems like to me the so called growing economy is not so growing and everybody is grasping at every dollar they can get out of somebody. look at the rolling stock prices, I would venture to say that 50 to 60% of what is there you can find at a local hobby shop of online for that price or in a lot of instances cheaper. And what is up with the shipping prices ? WOW! i saw a couple 3 or 4 that wanted 15 bucks to ship a loco or rolling stock there today! I dont want to get off on a rant here but gee whiz Ebay is getting out of control I think but thats just me.

10 & 15 bucks for shipping looks like a big rip off, but I started bidding on 1 bulkhead flatcar the other day before I realized he had a $21.50 shipping charge on a 99 cent sale.
I backed out of the deal right away & complained to the seller. He said that was what he charged flat rate for everything no matter what the price was. What made it even worse he was in the same state I'm in. I bought a Schnable car tuesday for $33.00 w/$4.00 shipping & a container crane for $25.00 w/no shipping charges. Go figure.

I know its rediculous sometimes thats why i really watch what i`m bidding on. if you dont watch they will get ya on the shipping charges. Me personally i wont even bid on anything if the shipping is over 5 to 8 bucks . I have shipped locos to the west coast and only paid ummmm i think the most was 8. 50 or so. Ebay should make everybody use the USPS for shipping to keep down costs ,they( the USPS) could use a bailout as well I`m sure

Well custom or not... Kato's run beautifully and sure can handle quite a few cars on the drawbar... I'd pay $70 for a Kato any day. ;)

-Steve

really $70 for a kato is a steal! they're great quality and precisely detailed, and to find them cheaper than an athearn is super rare

I think the older runs of Katos may not have ditch lights.

Ebay sellers like to put stuff in their titles like Norfolk Western Southern, or Southern Northern, to sell their Norfolk and Western or their Southern Railway items.

If its not "custom", it's either "rare" or "vintage".

If its not "custom", it's either "rare" or "vintage".

reminds me of looking for cars on ebay...

i guess technically you could call accumulated dust on the item as "custom weathering". that's why you gotta ask the seller, get a better description and photos, and don't be afraid to back off. always remember, buyer beware!

while i'm not trying to protect the crooked sellers, what you really need to do is just factor in the shipping cost into it. does it really matter if an item was 15 and free shipping or .99+13.99shipping? IMO no difference and i don't care about ebay crooks getting their cut. also you might be forgetting that it is not shipping but shiping + handling. and that handling, if performed by warehouse employee can cost money too.

Ebay should make everybody use the USPS for shipping to keep down costs ,they( the USPS) could use a bailout as well I`m sure
thats right, more competition stiffling regulations! what?!
its not a bailout, what USPS could really use is Big AXE. start by firing the slow and the arrogant. you hear that Mr Yogesh?(clerk at local office) stop day dreaming and start moving when there is huge line of people. any other place he would be fired immediately .
i'm not bent on "customer always right", as the matter of fact t i believe the opposite - customers at a times are arrogant pricks (i am sometimes) but i have this Chinese clerk at local office that treats me as if she owns the place. every time its like she doing me this favor by accepting the package and taking my money. i guess it is sort of acceptable when you visit cheep chineese collectibles and fake katana's store but here I pay her wages!
and don't even get me started on the getto girls in DT chicago facility :mad:

sorry for the rant, i get knee jerk reaction when i hear USPS.

First off the bailout crack was sarcasm! yeah i agree with you about the daydreaming , arrogance and just downright disregard for the customer . We have one here where I am that is a dickhead . office closes at 12:00 and she locked the door just as my wife reached for the door handle @ 11:30. Thats why we changed post offices went to the next town where you can also get your mail 24/7. It always seems to me you can go to the post office and get sothing shipped for half the price of anywhere else if you just weigh it and ship it is all i`m saying.

And for the handling thing thats just rubbish! i mostly buy from individuals as am I and I never charge a handling charge. they were good enough to but it fron me so i figure the handling thing is a cost of doing business but thats just me.

Back