Norfolk Southern ? again

as per e-bay policy a sale like this is illegal
" I realized he had a $21.50 shipping charge on a 99 cent sale"
the seller will have there account looked into or blocked....

First off the bailout crack was sarcasm!
somehow this went past me. i guess i'm imidiatley have blood in my eyes on mentioning of our beloved postal system :rolleyes:

as for the S&H. the thing is you pay for cost of running his business this way or another anyways. why do you feel better when this is hidden in the cost of product? if 21$ is good price i don't care if it is 21+free shipping or .99+20$ shipping. this maybe as illigal per ebay as they want. i'm not going to waste my time acting as police to help this greedy and unethical corporation make even more money.

... the thing is you pay for cost of running his business this way or another anyways. why do you feel better when this is hidden in the cost of product? if 21$ is good price i don't care if it is 21+free shipping or .99+20$ shipping. this maybe as illigal per ebay as they want. i'm not going to waste my time acting as police to help this greedy and unethical corporation make even more money.

I have to disagree. I refuse to buy from anyone, business or individual, who will not use the USPS, or the actual shipping fees. I have a friend who has an E-bay store, and he will only use the USPS. His S&H is generally below $12. I have bought and received over 50 items from E-bay in the past several years, and have never spent more than $15, and that was on a Bowser loco kit.

Many of the dealers and individuals use inflated S&H charges to get out of paying more fees to E-bay. I won't pay them.

i'am talking about shipping a 2 or 3 oz Nscale kato loco!! no way
the shipping should hit $12.00:mad:
What is even better is when i have to pick the package up at
the post office because the seller wants my sig. while i'am there i ask the postal clerk how much the shipping was...
most of the time it is that flat rate box $5.95 :mad: i guess i should
be happy to pay $6.00 for this moron's gas to drive to the post office

it is your right to disagree. however please provide reason why you disagree otherwise where is the discussion?

my answer to "shipping does not cost X!" is "don't look at shipping but rather at total cost". your answer?

Many of the dealers and individuals use inflated S&H charges to get out of paying more fees to E-bay. I won't pay them.
to clarify - so you not going to deal with that seller because it upsets you knowing ebay did not got paid?

Ebay collects fees for the listing and on the final sale value, but paypal collects fees on the entire balance.

as per e-bay policy a sale like this is illegal
" I realized he had a $21.50 shipping charge on a 99 cent sale"
the seller will have there account looked into or blocked....

Yes, but if you bid and win, you're obligated to pay. The only way you can get ebay to look into it is to report it without bidding on it.

it is your right to disagree. however please provide reason why you disagree otherwise where is the discussion?

my answer to "shipping does not cost X!" is "don't look at shipping but rather at total cost". your answer?

to clarify - so you not going to deal with that seller because it upsets you knowing ebay did not got paid?

Did you read what I wrote???? Where did I say that I was upset because E-bay wasn't getting more money????:confused::mad:

What I said was, I will not pay more than a reasonable shipping price. While my limit is $15 on shipping, I very, very rarely have to go even 1/2 that. You can not tell me that $20 shipping on a $1 item is reasonable. I have gotten $500 brass locos sent to me for less than half that $21. And that included insurance. It seems that by your formula of "total cost" I should have paid almost 20 times the price of the item to have it shipped!

There are still many, many dealers and individuals on E-bay that charge just the actual shipping costs. Enough that I still can choose not to pay those inflated shipping and handling charges. What the seller charges for shipping is the first thing I look at when deciding to bid on an item or not. If it's more than the actual shipping costs, I won't bid on the item.

I also do know what the total cost on most items should be. I worked part time in an LHS for over 15 years, and have worked with my friend who has an E-bay store for 6 more. I will not bid on an item that has gone over what the total value of an item is to me, (no matter how bad I want that item), neither will I pay more than a reasonable cost to ship that item to me.

Whether E-bay gets paid or not, and how much, isn't up to me. Thats between the seller and E-bay. I really don't care what amount of money E-bay gets. Again, they get that from the seller, not me. The seller however isn't going to gouge me because he doesn't want to pay his fees to E-bay.

I will not pay what I consider to be outrageous shipping. I stated my reasons here and in my prior post. They remain the same.

If you want to pay those kind of S&H charges, go right ahead. You obviously have a lot more money than I do.

If you want to pay those kind of S&H charges, go right ahead. You obviously have a lot more money than I do.
nice rant. however you saying ^^^ this makes me doubt that you understood what i had to say.

you mentioned item worth 500. i'll go with number and imagine an item i'd shop for.
if the price 500+free shpping - i'll get it as it is not over 500
if the price 480 + 20 shipping - i'll get it as it is not over 500
if the price is 350+150 shipping i will still get it as yet again it is not over 500 total that i allocated for the purchase.
based on your statement, you will get appalled by outrageous shipping and skip with the reasoning "it doesn't take 150$" to ship. no it doesn't cost that much, but it doesn't matter either since the only value that i care about is "out-the-door value" and how they brake it up is not of my consern.
hence your last comment is puzzling.

you mentioned item worth 500. i'll go with number and imagine an item i'd shop for.
if the price 500+free shpping - i'll get it as it is not over 500
if the price 480 + 20 shipping - i'll get it as it is not over 500
if the price is 350+150 shipping i will still get it as yet again it is not over 500 total that i allocated for the purchase.
based on your statement, you will get appalled by outrageous shipping and skip with the reasoning "it doesn't take 150$" to ship. no it doesn't cost that much, but it doesn't matter either since the only value that i care about is "out-the-door value" and how they brake it up is not of my consern.
hence your last comment is puzzling.

OK, lets put it this way. I always put a max amount of a bid that I am willing to pay, period. I won't bid again on that item. If I get outbid, then someone else was willing to to pay more for the item than I was. Good for them.

If I bid $500 on an item and won it for $250, you think that I should be willing to pay the extra $250 because the value was equal to what I was willing to pay. Just because that so called extra $250 was under what I valued the item at, doesn't mean I'm willing to give up the savings involved with the final bid because its still under my $500 limit. If I get a $500 item for $250, that gives me an extra $250 with which to get another item if I so choose.

Since you seem to think that I should be willing to part with that extra $250, all I can say is you do have more money than me. You keep missing the fact that I will only pay actual shipping, period, no matter what the final price is. Now I have said the same thing in three posts, and if you still don't understand my position, you just keep paying that $21 shipping on that $1 item. That will just keep on demonstrating what I said. You got more money than me. Understand now, Bunky?

You pay your charges and I'll pay mine. I will say no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
10 & 15 bucks for shipping looks like a big rip off, but I started bidding on 1 bulkhead flatcar the other day before I realized he had a $21.50 shipping charge on a 99 cent sale.
I backed out of the deal right away & complained to the seller. He said that was what he charged flat rate for everything no matter what the price was. What made it even worse he was in the same state I'm in. I bought a Schnable car tuesday for $33.00 w/$4.00 shipping & a container crane for $25.00 w/no shipping charges. Go figure.

I would file a complaint with Ebay with shipping charges like that. Overpriced shipping is against ebays policy.

I know what you guys mean about ebay stuff. Its insane what people want for this stuff and after you factor in shipping, no matter how high or low that is, its typically too much anyways compaired to retail.

I would file a complaint with Ebay with shipping charges like that. Overpriced shipping is against ebays policy.

I know what you guys mean about ebay stuff. Its insane what people want for this stuff and after you factor in shipping, no matter how high or low that is, its typically too much anyways compaired to retail.

Like I said before, if you bid and win, you pay. If you need to report excessive shipping charges, you have to do it without bidding on the item. I've asked this question on the eBay answers boards and was told what I am telling you now. A bid is a binding contract. If you see a shipping charge you don't agree with and you bid, you've basically signed it saying you will pay it.

The worst you can do is give them a bad star-rating review, or leave a negative feedback since they didn't spend a reasonable amount to ship it compared to the amount they charged you for shipping

Back