Next N Scale Layout ...

@Lynnb

No can do - it is too big to fit and pretty well secured to the bench work for it to be able to be moved without destroying it. I pretty much have only two choices - leave it where it is and try to add track work to it to make it apart of the new layout (redesign everything around it in other words) or rip it up and ensure the new layout has a place for me to replicate it to a certain extent.

Just so you know - the thing (test track) measures 6' X 3' on average.

Right now I am leaning toward tearing it up and rebuilding it in the new, at least in part.

@Lynnb

No can do - it is too big to fit and pretty well secured to the bench work for it to be able to be moved without destroying it. I pretty much have only two choices - leave it where it is and try to add track work to it to make it apart of the new layout (redesign everything around it in other words) or rip it up and ensure the new layout has a place for me to replicate it to a certain extent.

Just so you know - the thing (test track) measures 6' X 3' on average.

Right now I am leaning toward tearing it up and rebuilding it in the new, at least in part.
Yes I understand but wanted to see how it would look in the plan itself , when it comes to track work yes it would normally have to be nails pulled and feeder clipped ( been there ) . In your plan it looks like you have 3’ x6’ inside the loop which would accommodate a town as well even with only 2 lengths of track.

Okay - misunderstood your meaning. I'll take a look at things and see if I can't make it work , although it would have to be shortened a bit as the bottom right hand "leg" if you will is only 4' X 4' - but adapting it might work okay.

Where is the test track in accordance to the new second plan ? Can it not go in upper loop?

Attachments

• 0BB6647B-00F5-4B34-BCB2-FE955205A778.jpeg
    0BB6647B-00F5-4B34-BCB2-FE955205A778.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 49
That is pretty much where it sits Lynn - a little further to the right and not as far to the left BUT sits (almost flush) along the front edge of the bench work so I would need to incorporate the "front section of the test track" into the new plan - which was my initial thought.

I have plenty of room to the east to the northern and west of the test track as it sits now to add what the "new plan" shows. The only modifications that I can see would need to be made to the southern edge. I think??? I am still playing with things in SCARM.

Unfortunately the test track was never actually designed - I just threw track down and made it join up where ever so I can't go back and bring up the design to work on.

That is pretty much where it sits Lynn - a little further to the right and not as far to the left BUT sits (almost flush) along the front edge of the bench work so I would need to incorporate the "front section of the test track" into the new plan - which was my initial thought.

I have plenty of room to the east to the northern and west of the test track as it sits now to add what the "new plan" shows. The only modifications that I can see would need to be made to the southern edge. I think??? I am still playing with things in SCARM.

Unfortunately the test track was never actually designed - I just threw track down and made it join up where ever so I can't go back and bring up the design to work on.
Sounds like you may be able to remove everything but the test track and then simply add on the new plan? Can you take a detailed photo of the test track on the bench work? I don’t think we’re getting the full picture of what you need to do to keep the old test track where it is.

No prob Lynn - here is the test layout/track as it stands right now:

1rTOKNs.jpg

AXQ7Z4G.jpg

There is another 4' of benchwork at the bottom left hand corner of the first picture and then the 5' X 4' extension going of to the top right of the picture.

Should have done this in the first place ...

6mv3eQM.jpg

7gek1jX.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so the test track isn‘t just the track but also filled in with scenery base. Is the test track entire area anchored to the benchwork? I can see right away that the area I marked with x is going to be in the way with the new track, I think you may be able to save the area not marked off by the x’s. If you can detach from benchwork you could turn it . In reality you would be doing well only saving the water area and reattaching it , I’ve done this .

Attachments

• 21D2B8F7-2B10-4985-828B-5F9B2FDD909C.jpeg
    21D2B8F7-2B10-4985-828B-5F9B2FDD909C.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 44
Lynn, thanks mate but I think your trying to make what I have fit something I don't have. Let me put it this way - IF I decide to keep the "test track" then any further track work will need to fit in with it, to run off of it and back to it. If that is the case, the proposed track plans I posted become irrelevant.

If I decide to use one of the posted track plans, then the "test track" will go, it will be torn up completely.

So that is the nuts and guts of it as I see it. I create a track plan that incorporates the existing stuff OR I start from scratch and rip up the existing stuff completely.

Okay, regrettably I don't think I have any choice but to rip the test track up and start from scratch. When I threw the test track together, I wired it up for DC and not DCC. In other words, I only have three feeders providing power to all of the track work and that wont work for DCC, period. The main issue is the test track is built upon numerous layers of foam and a layer of ply wood, all in all about 3" thick and I really don't fancy having to drill through all of that then try to run feeders to each piece of flex.

So - the test track is out, and I am back looking and thinking about new track plans or using one of the ones already posted. Either way, it will be a new, from the ground up, layout.

@Iron Horseman

Two different layouts Horseman. The shed layout is in the shed while the above plans are for my indoor layout - where my old HO layout was years ago. The shed layout got built but never got to put in scenery - I didn't think it was worth the effort being out there.

I have two layout areas inside with this one and the one in the shed which is a purely summer effort.

This is the part of building a layout I hate - the design work. I can't seem to "drag myself" away from the same old kind of design, they are all pretty similar to one another and that (to me) gets a bit boring I think. Anyway, if you come up with some new radical idea hey - I am ALL EARS, believe me :)
That is what I was thinking. Both of these look very similar to the prior designs you liked and I thought finally settled on for the shed layout.

Just kind of random thoughts here, because I am opposite, I love doing the design process. I've designed sooooo many tracks that I've wanted to build and it is just not possible. One can only build so many things given limited time and resources. Plus like you once i've designed several I always have a hard time choosing between them.

My brain is going toward the concept of alternate route. More like the second. The first design's alternate root is more of a short cut rather than a route.

On the other hand the first one makes better use of the center of the layout space, while the second is more or less trains around the edge type set up.

Are you married to the 18" curves or would you be OK with 16.5" and 15"? Seems to me you could get more interesting "interweaving" if you were able to turn a bit sharper. How adverse are you to stacking loops?

Okay, regrettably I don't think I have any choice but to rip the test track up and start from scratch. When I threw the test track together, I wired it up for DC and not DCC. In other words, I only have three feeders providing power to all of the track work and that wont work for DCC, period. The main issue is the test track is built upon numerous layers of foam and a layer of ply wood, all in all about 3" thick and I really don't fancy having to drill through all of that then try to run feeders to each piece of flex.

So - the test track is out, and I am back looking and thinking about new track plans or using one of the ones already posted. Either way, it will be a new, from the ground up, layout.
That is probably good because, I think trying to encorporate the test track would be very limiting on what you could do with the reset.

That is what I was thinking. Both of these look very similar to the prior designs you liked and I thought finally settled on for the shed layout.

Just kind of random thoughts here, because I am opposite, I love doing the design process. I've designed sooooo many tracks that I've wanted to build and it is just not possible. One can only build so many things given limited time and resources. Plus like you once i've designed several I always have a hard time choosing between them.

Don't get me wrong Horseman - I actually enjoy the design side of things, it makes me sit back and think. The reason I "don't like it" is because each time I design something, I tend to come up with something I think is better and end up with X amount of designs with my liking something from each of them but (seemingly) incapable of taking all the things I like to create a single track plan.

My problem when it comes to design work is I get fixated on a Single plan and everything I try tends to be the same or very similar - I can't seem to walk away, come back and do something completely different. So, if you want to have a play around with the bench space then please - go right ahead, I certainly wont object. If I recall correctly, you have quite an eye when it comes to design :)
My brain is going toward the concept of alternate route. More like the second. The first design's alternate root is more of a short cut rather than a route.

On the other hand the first one makes better use of the center of the layout space, while the second is more or less trains around the edge type set up.

Are you married to the 18" curves or would you be OK with 16.5" and 15"? Seems to me you could get more interesting "interweaving" if you were able to turn a bit sharper. How adverse are you to stacking loops?

I certainly don't have a problem going to a 15" Radius (absolute minimum) . I don't think I am going to be running anything that will look awkward on that size radius. The largest diesel engine I will be running is probably my BLI AC6000, the largest Steam will be my 2-8-4 Berkshire and the largest piece of rolling stock will no doubt be my Micro Trains Heavy Weight Passenger Cars.

Stacking loops - meaning a Helix?? If so (or similar) ahh I'd really prefer not to to be upfront and honest.

Last edited:
In N scale is a 20” radius the same as an Ho scale 20” radius ?
Um, yep it is mate - identicle ;)

Basically, 20" radius is 20" radius whether it is on an N Scale, HO or Z scale layout ;)

Only thing that changes, radius wise, is the minimum radius needed to run your loco's rollingstock. For me the recommended is 15" (will run everything available) with an absolute minimum of 9.75" . For HO it is what a recommended 18" minimum but possibly 15" ... something like that from memory.

Back