Newbie questions!

its not that they are "bad", its more of the Botchmann locos (the basic DCC units/DCC ready ones) are not the greatest quality, one I had lasted only a few days (7 days 4 hours 3 minutes and 20 seconds...) to be exact and I wasn't too thrilled with it...and it was IMO poorly made (very) as one of the windows on it was cracked...and the "dcc" chip was burnt out when I set it to run dual DC/DCC on my DC track...so yea I was not too happy with it...it was my first DCC loco too that I bought just to have one up and running till I got a better one so I wasn't too mad about it....but it really depends on the build run...I think I just got a bad one from the factory tho...least thats what I chalk it up to ;)

I took the advice of Selector and Burlington Bob and got a Spectrum Loco along with my NCE system. It took me a while, but I upgraded my thinking that I needed to go beyond the simple DCC controllers and locos.

I do have to admit, howerver, I did buy one cheap DCC equipped loco just so I could have 2 operating until I can afford another decent loco. What is it about them that is bad? (I suppose I'll find out soon!)

I considered the Super Chief but know it will be a long time before I have enough track laid down to really run more than one loco at a time, so not worth the extra cost to me just for two knobs right now. Still in keeping with the idea of buying good reliable stuff to start with though.

Now that you have the control system and first locos past you, have you decided what to do about track? How big a layout are you thinking of and what is your timescale for getting it all put together?

I have a 13'x5' layout with the benchwork completed. I have a few scale drawings that I'm pondering. I want to get to running trains asap- so at least getting 2 main lines around the layout soldered and wired up (after I install the foam) and then start working on the tunnel and bridge main lines.

Layout drawing

Sounds like you have plenty of room to work with which is good. You are going with some sort of flex track, right?

I just got a Fedex notice on my shipment, should be here early next week!

My shipment arrived yesterday. I knew the electric/electronic aspects have really changed a bunch in the past 25 years, but wow what a difference. My initial impressions-

I managed to forget rail joiners so only got to test on a section of 39" flex track last night. But the FA2 diesel (non-Spectrum) runs far better than anything I had back then. And the 2-6-6-2 mallet is awesome smooth. Both have sound and this really is a very cool addition.

It only took a few minutes to get both locos working on the same section of track with the NCE Powercab and it looks like the control system will keep me busy for a long while. Trying to control multiple trains at once with a single controller looks like an accident ready to happen but I am a long way from doing that. Adding a second controller looks simple, and not having to wire up a bunch of different blocks with a ton of switches in order to be able to run multiple locos will make wiring a whole lot easier.

The layout design I am playing with currently has minimum 26" curves but the 2-6-6-2 works fine and looks better than I expected on curves down to 24". I wouldn't want to go smaller than that anyway just because my experience is that curving flex track any tighter makes getting it down smoothly that much more difficult. But for odd spots on the layout, looks like no problem.

I can't comment on how good this stuff is compared to other makes/brands currently on the market. But compared to the "dinosaur days" it really is awesome.

Very encouraged!

I have been learning to use my Super Chief system. I have 3 DCC locos (and I'll throw in one of my DC locos just because I can) and they all seem to run well.

I've been playing around with changing up CV's and its quite fun.

The annoying part is because they are Soundtraxx Decoders, CV readback doesn't work in PO programming mode, only when its on the programming track in PG. And since I don't have a programming track, i have to switch out the wires on my main to become my programming track!

The Spectrum 2-10-0 steam loco sounds fantastic.

I also received a Alco 2-6-0 with "Value Sound" and it sounds awesome as well, just not quite as loud as the Spectrum and way less CV's to tweak. However, the lighting on it blows the Spectrum out of the water! The lights are amazingly bright on it. The lights on my spectrum- on the front of the locomotive suck big time-its barely visible except when looking straight in front of it just inches away.

I threw them up on Youtube if anyone wants to see/hear them:

Spectrum 2-10-0

Alco 2-6-0

Trying to control multiple trains at once with a single controller looks like an accident ready to happen but I am a long way from doing that.

This is why I went with Digitrax. I already love the dual throttle knobs without having to recall.

The part I DON'T like is that you can only recall to the right throttle knob. (to my knowledge)

for this I have a simple solution, I just found two pieces of the bachmann rerail track and two bumpers (one for each end) to stop the locos from driving/rolling off when im programming, and I wrote on the pieces "programing only" so I know what they are for, that way I can keep my main track as is, and have a spot just for programing.

its simple and works, granted im limited when it comes to long locos like the cabforward and others like it, but I don't have any with DCC that big yet, and if needed Ill just grab an extra piece of track and toss it in and problem solved...

I have been learning to use my Super Chief system. I have 3 DCC locos (and I'll throw in one of my DC locos just because I can) and they all seem to run well.

I've been playing around with changing up CV's and its quite fun.

The annoying part is because they are Soundtraxx Decoders, CV readback doesn't work in PO programming mode, only when its on the programming track in PG. And since I don't have a programming track, i have to switch out the wires on my main to become my programming track!

The Spectrum 2-10-0 steam loco sounds fantastic.

I also received a Alco 2-6-0 with "Value Sound" and it sounds awesome as well, just not quite as loud as the Spectrum and way less CV's to tweak. However, the lighting on it blows the Spectrum out of the water! The lights are amazingly bright on it. The lights on my spectrum- on the front of the locomotive suck big time-its barely visible except when looking straight in front of it just inches away.

I threw them up on Youtube if anyone wants to see/hear them:

Spectrum 2-10-0

Alco 2-6-0

... And since I don't have a programming track, i have to switch out the wires on my main to become my programming track!

This is often overlooked. In my case, a dining car set-out track beside a depot or the lead to the lip of the turntable is gapped at the turnout and powered separately in a method I can describe if you are interested. It involves routing your power to the bus through a simple SPST toggle. That way, you don't ever have to lift a locomotive off the rails. You drive/place it initially on this separate track and flip the toggle to keep the rest of the layout off...no track power via the bus and feeders, so no other locos can be inadvertently programmed if you goof and do the next CV change in Paged or Blast Mode. Then you perform the desired programming on this isolated smallish track and flip the toggle to restore power to the rest of the layout once you are done.

I haven't played with CVs yet, in fact I just now loaded the Tsunami CD and took a first look. I am more interested in testing operating capabilities. But having sound is very cool.

I went by the only hobby store in town and the only rail joiners they had were code 80 N scale. But with a little adjustment they actually work OK with the Walthers code 83 track, at least for testing. I set up a pattern on the shop table with an accurate 24" curve and short easements and laid two sections of track down on the pattern with some heavy double-sided tape. Getting the ends of the flex track to line up through the curve was just as much fun as I remembered and I reminded myself to avoid doing that when putting down permanent track.

Anyway both of my locos run through the curve pulling a few cars without any problem and the run length is now 6+ feet which is a big improvement.

I set up a construct with the two engines. The little diesel in front of the big steam engine looks funny but they actually run fine together. Makes me want to go ahead and order a matching FB2 to go with my FA2. I also played with momentum adjustments, etc. So far the new tech all seems to work amazingly well.

Hopefully this weekend I will have time to build my test platform- planning on a 6x8 table with a cutout in the middle for access. I want to test performance on grades, try out a Walthers turnout with a tortoise, and play around with some of the new construction methods that I am reading about on the web. Foam wasn't an option years ago, and I never heard of gluing flex down with caulk until now. It was all about homasote and nails/spikes. I figure on a few months of playing around before I am ready to start building a real layout.

Except for the single controller (not a problem for me) I haven't found any downsides to the NCE system yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love those locomotives. I think I'm up to 3 now. Still haven't scored a Frisco with the dog house on the tender yet though.

Probably my biggest complaint with the Decapod is the tender isn't heavy enough to keep the wires down and the front truck doesn't sit on the track and sometimes shorts out my system on turnouts. ideas? I thought about weighting it but am nervous to dismantle it.

Wired up my bus today. its a 3 way split running to different parts of my layout.

Boy do I dislike tinning the ends of the wire! Soldering the track seemed easier than tinning (sp?)

Probably my biggest complaint with the Decapod is the tender isn't heavy enough to keep the wires down and the front truck doesn't sit on the track and sometimes shorts out my system on turnouts. ideas? I thought about weighting it but am nervous to dismantle it.
No, I've not had either of those problems. The Decapod (W&M with the fireball logo) is one I let my daughter use for Youth in Model Railroading exhibits because it tracks so well. We can put it on and basically forget it for hours. Now that I think about it though, I'm not certain I've ever even had the undecorated one out of the box. I got it to run at the club but that's when the club started having issues so I stopped going.

Back