Newbie questions!

I guess it depends on what one considers running locomotives at once. I am a firm believer in having one control for each train rolling on the layout at any given time. What they are talking about is getting one train moving with the controller and then switching channels to another locomotive and getting it rolling, etc. One then has to switch back and forth. In this regard all the DCC systems are the same, but it is also why one can add additional throttles.

I don't know if what you learned about the NCE power cab means it can have only two more throttles or if it just means it can only switch between three. My NCE is the PRO cab. I have not yet encountered any sort of limit with it. I've been at sessions where we have had over 24 trains plus running simultaneously.

As for the Bachmann vs Atlas sets I have no first hand experience with either. I have always trusted Atlas (45+ years now) in both HO and N scales. Bachmann in the last two decades has really stepped up their game especially with the Spectrum units. So I would be torn. Two loco's and a starter DCC system is pretty tempting. On the other hand while their EZ-track is easy and nickel silver it is NOT cheap and not nearly as flexible as normal Atlas track. If the Atlas set comes with Atlas "TruTrack" I find that even less flexible. Straight Atlas track without the built on roadbed still wins the sectional track contest every time. Don't know if this babbling is helping or not. I would not be afraid of the Bachmann set as I would have 20 years ago.

No this is good stuff. I am, after reading the replies, seriously just considering buying flextrack and piecing my system together instead of buying a starter set.
However, the wife said no to spending large amounts, so I have about $100 to get started until February (high spending limits on my birthday). I own 2 DC locos (to my knowledge lol).

If I were to, say, buy a DCC Compatible Power Pack in addition to the atlas flex track and terminal tracks, etc. what does that look like when I do buy the DCC system? The Bachmann power pack says DCC compatible, I have absolutely no idea what that means, and cannot find anywhere on the internet that explains it.

I don't mind learning to solder and stuff or even hooking up complicated electrical systems, that part is very alluring to me when thinking about building my set.

I guess my real question is: If I buy my system in parts, and start with that DC power pack (compatible with DCC), how hard will it be to upgrade to DCC in February?

If you would allow me to give my 2 cents worth............I would probably go with the Bachmann set with the two DCC locos, and use their set up for now. It has everything you need to get started now. You can always buy Atlas flex track and other related items as time goes by. Upgrades are always doable.

I am seriously just considering buying flextrack and piecing my system together instead of buying a starter set.
Piecing a system together is always the best way to get components that one wants without extra, throw-away pieces.

If I were to, buy a DCC Compatible Power Pack. ...what does that look like when I do buy the DCC system? The Bachmann power pack says DCC compatible, I have absolutely no idea what that means, and cannot find anywhere on the internet that explains it.
I don't know what that means either. Even the Bachmann site is unclear. All I can figure out is that it will power their DCC decoder equipped locos.

I guess my real question is: If I buy my system in parts, and start with that DC power pack (compatible with DCC), how hard will it be to upgrade to DCC in February?
I think it would be a "throw away". I don't see anyway that unit could be used with a normal DCC system. If it is just from now until February, I think it would be better to just wait and buy the DCC controller straight up. Otherwise you have spent the money for this, use it for two months, and spend more for basically duplicate things (train control).

On the other hand something like this could always be used to power accessories, but so could that $1.99 used power supply from the thrift store.

Piecing a system together is always the best way to get components that one wants without extra, throw-away pieces.

I don't know what that means either. Even the Bachmann site is unclear. All I can figure out is that it will power their DCC decoder equipped locos.

I think it would be a "throw away". I don't see anyway that unit could be used with a normal DCC system. If it is just from now until February, I think it would be better to just wait and buy the DCC controller straight up. Otherwise you have spent the money for this, use it for two months, and spend more for basically duplicate things (train control).

On the other hand something like this could always be used to power accessories, but so could that $1.99 used power supply from the thrift store.

I have pretty much taken your advice. Got some used track and a cheap DC controller on the way to "tide me over."

Now I'm looking at going straight into a DCC starter set.

NCE Powercab or Bachmann Dynamis?

My thoughts so far on these are this:
Dynamis-
I love that its wireless
I love that it has a huge display screen (compared to NCE)
I like that it can do alpha addressing
I like that it has a cool-looking throttle
I don't like that its infrared
I don't like that an upgrade in power is $200+
The guy at my LHS mentioned that the Dynamis doesn't have a huge sound range with upper level locos- is this true?

NCE-
I love that its 1 handed
I like that its relatively cheap to upgrade and add additional cabs (e.g. cab06) and UTP panels + about $125 for a 5a booster
Edit: I dislike that it has a small 2 line display
I hate that it is wired (this could be the deal breaker unless you guys convince me otherwise)

From what I've read on other posts and websites, People say that the Dynamis is limited and that the Powercab is full featured. I'm not really even sure what this means- I'm assuming its with features that I will either not ever use or that I don't understand. Edit: Also same power output on both.

At this point- I know nobody that owns/runs model railroads, so I have no intention of bringing my system over to another place.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm looking at going straight into a DCC starter set. ....

The guy at my LHS mentioned that the Dynamis doesn't have a huge sound range with upper level locos- is this true?
I don't know what he is talking about the sound of a loco is dependent on the decoder in the loco not the controller. Unless perhaps he means that there are fewer directly controllable sounds (number of directly accessible functions). On that note, I've had sound well DCC sound for years, I use F1 for bell, F3 for horn, and F4 for dynamic brakes. I let the throttle control the motive power wind-up-down, and brake squeal. I mean do you really want a F28 button to play a fake conductor voice saying "train is leaving the station" or some such silly thing?

NCE-I love that its 1 handed
? You can hold it in one hand but one must have the other hand to select the buttons. The only 1 handed throttle I know of is the old CVP 1300 throttles. They had an analog knob that could be rotated with the thumb of the hand holding it. Too bad they stopped making those.

I like that its relatively cheap to upgrade and add additional cabs (e.g. cab06) and UTP panels + about $125 for a 5a booster
Edit: I dislike that it has a small 2 line display
I hate that it is wired (this could be the deal breaker unless you guys convince me otherwise)
From there you would have to add the wireless receiver and get the Cab06R. NCE has the 2nd best wireless system 0n the market.

From what I've read on other posts and websites, People say that the Dynamis is limited and that the Powercab is full featured. I'm not really even sure what this means- I'm assuming its with features that I will either not ever use or that I don't understand. Edit: Also same power output on both.
Once again I am no help there. I've never used or even studied the Dynamis in depth, and my NCE is the PROcab which seems to be very different from the PowerCab.

I thought the Dynamis system had the capacity for only 10 locos. That's probably find for starting out in the hobby, but other systems have greater capacity. If it were me, I'd want something that will grow with me, as I get more into the hobby.

I don't know what a 'DCC compatable powerpack/transformer,' means either.

To answer one of your other questions:

If a loco is DCC Ready, that typically means that it doesn't come with a decoder. It probably also means it comes with the NMRA 8 pin connector. You don't always have to install the decoders youself, which can be very tricky sometimes. There are places/people that do decoder installations, full time.

I thought the Dynamis system had the capacity for only 10 locos. That's probably find for starting out in the hobby, but other systems have greater capacity. If it were me, I'd want something that will grow with me, as I get more into the hobby.

I think you are thinking about the Bachmann EZ Command system, which does 9 DCC + 1 DC/DCC - The Dynamis has 9,999 loco address options.

A few Dynamis Stats:
Advanced wireless infrared operation
2.5 amp power supply
128 speed steps
Full CV programming
Full NMRA conformance
9,999 locomotive addresses
Points and accessory control
Expandable modular design
Easy-to-use backlit LCD screen
Allows 40 consists of up to 5 locomotives each
Control of up to 40 locomotives at any one time (up to 21 functions per locomotive)
Suitable for all layouts from train sets to sophisticated railway systems
Joystick control for speed and on screen selection

Apple,

Thanks for the correction. I'm considering going DCC, but mainly considering NCE and MRC systems. The layout I'm building is HO, 26'x28-34'.

Just thought I'd give you all an update and see what you think - again thank you all for your help and sound advice.

I chose to go with the NCE power cab, SB3a 5amp booster, and Cab06 add on.

I decided that wireless wasn't as important to me, as long as I could add a walk-around option for my cabs (with some extra UTP panels)

I just ordered my first DCC Locomotive- the Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-0 Decapod (with tsunami sound) for $100 on ebay NIB. (I feel like this was a steal compared to modeltrainstuff.com and MSRP, etc.)

IF I had unlimited $, I would have went with the Digitrax Super Chief set, but the NCE 5amp booster and power source already put me $150 over what my wife was ok spending, not including the Cab06!

Edit: I might add that I realize that NCE is about to release the SB5 booster, but all of the new features are things I'm not planning on using (e.g. signaling, more than 4 cabs, etc.) I only plan on having 1 extra cab and 1 computer hook up (for which I need USB anyways because I'm a Mac guy)

I don't know what a 'DCC compatable powerpack/transformer,' means either.

I believe I found the answer to this.
The Digitrax Zephyr has jump ports for this:

Jump Ports for using DC power packs as additional throttles:
Use one or two smooth DC power packs as throttles to control DCC equipped locomotives.

So, essentially an extra controller that you can drop a DCC loco address into from the zephyr

Just thought I'd give you all an update and see what you think - again thank you all for your help and sound advice.

I chose to go with the NCE power cab, SB3a 5amp booster, and Cab06 add on.

I decided that wireless wasn't as important to me, as long as I could add a walk-around option for my cabs (with some extra UTP panels)

Edit: I might add that I realize that NCE is about to release the SB5 booster, but all of the new features are things I'm not planning on using (e.g. signaling, more than 4 cabs, etc.) I only plan on having 1 extra cab and 1 computer hook up (for which I need USB anyways because I'm a Mac guy)

This is exactly what I did. Do yourself a favor and wire in the LED they talk about so you can tell your track is powered. If you have more than one layout section, you may want to get a PSX circuit breaker and 'break up' the layout into districts so that when you get a short, the whole thing doesnt shut down.

Brad

This is exactly what I did. Do yourself a favor and wire in the LED they talk about so you can tell your track is powered. If you have more than one layout section, you may want to get a PSX circuit breaker and 'break up' the layout into districts so that when you get a short, the whole thing doesnt shut down.

Brad

I'll have to look into both of those. I think its the wiring part thats most daunting to me.

my suggestion is if your even thinking about DCC in the near future just spend the money (wisely) and get a good DCC/DC dontroler, stay away from the Bachmann (AKA Botchmann) DCC EZ-Command, yea it low cost (at the time I got it it was about $104ish) so for about $120 more (if I had known) I could have had my Digitrax DCC system that I just put down on...the Botchmann EX command was a big mistake I made...

as for the engines stay away from there bare bones basic DCC/DCC"ready" locos, nnot the greatest things out there either, only ones I have are UK locos and one American style GP20 i got in a trade.

my two DCC locos I have are a Hornby Class 31 (very stout runner by the way) and an Atlas Trainman series GP39-2 BNSF ph2 again very smoth, at the moment its lights do not work but I think thats because of the chip I am using so I need to either replace that with the right type or possibly reprogram it properly...

so some companies I have used for DCC and found good quality with as far as DC/DCC are Hornby, Atlas, Tyco (DC only, however a few will get converted to DCC soon) a few others I can remember right off my head that I think are good are Riverosi and Athearn.

Hope some of this info helps you out some!!

Last edited by a moderator:
my suggestion is if your even thinking about DCC in the near future just spend the money (wisely) and get a good DCC/DC dontroler, stay away from the Bachmann (AKA Botchmann) DCC EZ-Command, yea it low cost (at the time I got it it was about $104ish) so for about $120 more (if I had known) I could have had my Digitrax DCC system that I just put down on...the Botchmann EX command was a big mistake I made...

as for the engines stay away from there bare bones basic DCC/DCC"ready" locos, nnot the greatest things out there either, only ones I have are UK locos and one American style GP20 i got in a trade.

my two DCC locos I have are a Hornby Class 31 (very stout runner by the way) and an Atlas Trainman series GP39-2 BNSF ph2 again very smoth, at the moment its lights do not work but I think thats because of the chip I am using so I need to either replace that with the right type or possibly reprogram it properly...

so some companies I have used for DCC and found good quality with as far as DC/DCC are Hornby, Atlas, Tyco (DC only, however a few will get converted to DCC soon) a few others I can remember right off my head that I think are good are Riverosi and Athearn.

Hope some of this info helps you out some!!

I took the advice of Selector and Burlington Bob and got a Spectrum Loco along with my NCE system. It took me a while, but I upgraded my thinking that I needed to go beyond the simple DCC controllers and locos.

I do have to admit, howerver, I did buy one cheap DCC equipped loco just so I could have 2 operating until I can afford another decent loco. What is it about them that is bad? (I suppose I'll find out soon!)

Hey I am right there with you. After 25 years leave of absence I decided to pick up on model railroading again. This time I have plenty of room (13x24 finished basement area with adjoining hobby "construction" room already set up), a whole lot more money to work with, and 25 more years of experience in various hobbies that should come in handy.

I learned last time that I can build (and finish) a complex layout that really looks good. But also learned that cheap equipment, tight curves and turnouts, and excessive grades can make operation frustrating. But I was on a tight budget back then. Scratch building trestles and and structures was time-consuming but fun and inexpensive, coming up with money for a really nice loco was another thing entirely.

This time the end goal is an around-the-room style layout based on 50's/60's C&O and B&O lines. Not true-to-history but close enough to make sense to non-RR buffs and enough scenic variety to make things interesting. No mainline radius less than 24", easements into all mainline curves under 30" radius, minimum #8 main turnouts, and no grades over 2%. I've been all over the web during the past months catching up on the new tech and have my basic design completed on Xtrackcad. Wow this is a great free program (and easy for me to pick up on since I already know Autocad.) Didn't have anything like that "back then".

Anyway, to the point of the thread.. Like you I agonized over starting cheap with something like the Bachman Dynamis train set. But then thought better of it realizing that only maybe the loco and some of the cars were likely to make me happy for very long and the sectional track would quickly end up in the trash. So not really a good investment. I ended up coming to the exact same conclusions you did and ordered an NCE Powercab system, Bachmann FA7 Diesel with sound, and ran across a deal on a new Spectrum C&O 2-6-6-2 with sound that I couldn't resist. Both of these locos are supposed to be nice and make sense for my "theme". Also a few cars, bundle of code 83 flex track, a #8 Shinohara turnout and Tortoise to test, and other odd supplies that I know are needed to get me going. Now waiting for everything to arrive. The next few months will be dedicated to buying stuff, testing it on a small-scale trial layout and refining my plan. Then we'll see what happens next.

So I broke down and scratched the NCE idea. I wanted 2 operating throttle knobs, and I just couldn't pass it up. I snagged a 5amp Digitrax Super Chief for almost the same price as the Super Empire builders.

I also got a Spectrum Russian Decapod 2-10-0 that sounds amazing (at least with my DC power pack).

I get my Super Chief Today! So excited! now if I just had enough track to run more than one loco...

I considered the Super Chief but know it will be a long time before I have enough track laid down to really run more than one loco at a time, so not worth the extra cost to me just for two knobs right now. Still in keeping with the idea of buying good reliable stuff to start with though.

Now that you have the control system and first locos past you, have you decided what to do about track? How big a layout are you thinking of and what is your timescale for getting it all put together?

I have an MRC prodigy express which I have tested and works ok. I am leaning towards a digitrax system in the future because it looks more professional and has so many upgrade and expansion options. I found this photo and like the way this person set up the big meters for a positive visual display of power levels.

power1_zpsc68fa4d3.png

Back