Newbie help

watchbuff

I have an LGB set under the tree and its about 15 years old and has been trouble free. I dset it up and ran the train around the track a few times and it ran normally. After a few runs the train would nbot go faster than the slowest setting. When I dial up the transformer the transformer makes a "click" sound ad the train stops, then it starts to mover again presumably when the transformer "clicks" itself back on.\

I used a DC voltmeter and with the train off the track I got a range of 3- 20 volts. With the train on the track i could not get more than the 3 volts bfore the "click" and then no voltage reading until it clicked back on.

The kids really like the train and hopefully its a quick fix and as simple as a transformer and not an $engine$. The last thing I can afford is a new engime just before the holidays in this economy. I really want to make the kids happy.

Thanks in advance:confused:

If you have a local hobby shop that does trains, consider taking the power pack and engine there. They might take a quick look at it. It sounds like the breaker in the power pack is tripping which could be either the pack or the engine. It is promising that the engine will run slowly before tripping.
Also make sure nothing is jamming the gears and that they have some plastic safe oil/grease in them. If something is binding it up the result would be more current drawn while it tries to move and could cause the problem.
Good Luck

LGB train

Did you get your LGB train working? The other member had the right advice--a local hobby shop could tell you if its either the pack or the engine, and they should do this free of charge. If you don't have a local shop, my guess buying an inexpensive power pack could be your answer. I would suggest getting a pack at least 16 volts DC current @ .7 amps . more amperage is better, of course. MRC packs for HO scale have enough current to run a little green and red LGB 0-4-0 starter loco and shouldn't cost more than $40.

I have an LGB set under the tree and its about 15 years old and has been trouble free. I dset it up and ran the train around the track a few times and it ran normally. After a few runs the train would nbot go faster than the slowest setting. When I dial up the transformer the transformer makes a "click" sound ad the train stops, then it starts to mover again presumably when the transformer "clicks" itself back on.\

I used a DC voltmeter and with the train off the track I got a range of 3- 20 volts. With the train on the track i could not get more than the 3 volts bfore the "click" and then no voltage reading until it clicked back on.

The kids really like the train and hopefully its a quick fix and as simple as a transformer and not an $engine$. The last thing I can afford is a new engime just before the holidays in this economy. I really want to make the kids happy.

Thanks in advance:confused:

The strangest thing the other day.
The HO powerpack has the same output as the LGB one I have so decidedly the engine seemed to be the culprit when the new pack was used.

I tried something first though that seesm to have worked.
Bear with me:

I took an 18volt fuly fharged cordless drill battery and attached leads to it, the attached the leads to the pick ups on the engine. The one lead got real got and the engine ran slow. I quickly disconnected not to damage anything.
I tried again in the reverse polarity and the same thing started to occur then...out of the blue.. the motor picked up speed, and the leads stayed cool. I tried the opposite polarity again and it ran fine.

I tne used the LGB powerpack again on the track and the train has been running fine ever since....chuging away and smoking out of the stack like it should!

GO FIGURE!!!!

You probably had to get the mouse tail to force through the gears :D
I would still lube it with some plastic safe grease or oil.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Back