New York and Long Branch in HO

NY&LB

Hello everyone.

For the past year and a half I've been constructing a faithful ( I hope) HO version of the NY&LB RR (now known as the North Jersey Coast Line) in my basement. This commuter line was jointly run by the CNJ and PRR during my modeling period of the 1950s.

The last layout I built was in the mid 1970s, so this is something totally new to me and is a learning process, to say the least! I decided I would document the progress of the layout from the beginning for my own reference. Since then, I decided to post the progress of the layout on a web page as a reference for myself but more so as an inspiration for those contemplating on planning or building a layout who might be a bit apprehensive about jumping in. Hey, if I can do it, anyone probably could!:)

If you'd like to check out the progress, past and present, on the line, you can venture to the site here.

Thanks!

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Helix Question

First of all Jerry, very impressive layout and your construction talents are amazing. I love the LED lighting! I'm contemplating using that same Ashlin Design helix kit. Would you recommend it? Also how are your rolling stock and locos handling the tight radius? Very curious. Thanks.

Paul Z.

Paul,

Thanks for the compliments. The helix was easy to build, but I was a bit surprised to find what I thought were going to be plywood ramps (per the advertising) were actually made from MDF (medium density fiberboard). However, the construction design of the helix should prevent any sagging of the mdf quarter-rounds.

Consider also that even though the helix is advertised as a double track helix, that is nearly impossible with the fairly tight radius. The grade is around 2.8%... more than what is advertised.

If you can live with all of the above, it is a good helix and is easy to build, especially for anyone not wanting to build one from scratch. Would I buy another one? ... probably not. The helix I have on the layout now from Ashline was a good size for the space I had. My second helix at the other end will have a bit more room and will be built from scratch, and double-tracked with a bit of a lesser grade.

My diesels and rolling stock, so far, run fine on the helix. There is a bit of tweaking to be done with my longer passenger equipment and I have yet to test my 4-6-2 steam fleet. The results of that will be posted on the web site.
Hope this helps your decision!

Jerry

Awesome layout....the envy of a lot here I'm sure...including me. Great photo layout on your progress. Keep us posted...but in the meantime you take care of your wife. My wife had breast cancer so I know how this will take you away from the train. You be with her and help her all you can and hold her hand through this. The layout will be.....and so will we.

Thanks Jerry for the response. I was thinking that the Ashlin helix could only single track based on the small size. Again, fantastic layout.

Paul

NICE lighting! Gotta get some O' dat! Got an "lookup" site for the LEDs?

Don

These led lighting strips are popping up all over the internet now. Your most cost-effective course would be to get them directly from China. A whole 16 foot reel can be had on Ebay for under 30 bucks. Just make sure you get the lighting strips with 5050 leds (they're brighter). I also use the cool or daylight white leds.

You'll also need a power supply for them...12vdc and regulated. The higher the amp rating, the better. I use 12 amp power supplies I also got straight from China off Ebay at a good price. Just search for "led strip lighting" and "led power supply".

Jerry

NY&LB Hello!

Thanks for photos! It how to pass a course on breadboard model building.
I am very grateful to you for such councils and I consider you do the big work and it more than a house breadboard model. It is necessary in a museum.
Historical inquiries at the story about breadboard model building are very interesting!
I wasn't in your places ;-) but I trust in realness of a breadboard model.

The big work!

The good cellar has turned out!!!

These led lighting strips are popping up all over the internet now. Your most cost-effective course would be to get them directly from China. A whole 16 foot reel can be had on Ebay for under 30 bucks. Just make sure you get the lighting strips with 5050 leds (they're brighter). I also use the cool or daylight white leds.

You'll also need a power supply for them...12vdc and regulated. The higher the amp rating, the better. I use 12 amp power supplies I also got straight from China off Ebay at a good price. Just search for "led strip lighting" and "led power supply".

Jerry

Yeah. Noticed the 12V requirement while plugging around looking for leads waiting for your answer. Might cause a problem, but not insurmountable.

Now, how to "fit" the effect into my layout properly...... HMMMMMMM.

Don

I am really impressed with the layout and the photo diary of the progress. I keep wanting to take photos of mine at each step but then forget to do it.

Do you have a track plan you can share? I may have missed it on the site.

Great job. The bridge is really close to the real one. Don't for get the 7-11 at the west end of the bridge & Gold's on the other side of 35. Just for more realizism, when you put homes around the loop, make sure you have angry residences standing out by their fences yelling & cursing at the trains going by.
Remember, if you buy a house near RR tracks, there's a good chance a train will be by.

I am really impressed with the layout and the photo diary of the progress. I keep wanting to take photos of mine at each step but then forget to do it.

Do you have a track plan you can share? I may have missed it on the site.

Still working on getting a track plan published to the web site. I just don't have the time to learn the CAD program I have, so it will just be a good old fashioned paper and pencil plan scanned to the computer. It'll hopefully be uploaded in the next couple of weeks.

Jerry

Great job. The bridge is really close to the real one. Don't for get the 7-11 at the west end of the bridge & Gold's on the other side of 35. Just for more realizism, when you put homes around the loop, make sure you have angry residences standing out by their fences yelling & cursing at the trains going by.
Remember, if you buy a house near RR tracks, there's a good chance a train will be by.

Pretty funny. I was planning to place an irate future homeowner (30 years in the future) at the edge of the woods along the Bay Head Loop! It looks like the 7-11 and Golds will not come to pass since I'm modeling the 1950s.

How about Makin Manufacturing (concrete block), Rheingold Beer and the little shanty between the tracks and Route 35 that had the big fish sign on the roof? (almost as big as the building). If you remember those, you're a true Clamdigger!

Jerry

Fantastic layout and I love the photos of your progress. Will be neat to see i when its finished. Though I am sorry to hear of your wifes passing. Thoughts and prayers out to you and your family.

I'd like to thank all of my fellow modelers who showed their support for my wife and myself over the past several weeks. It means a lot to me and helped me get through this difficult time in my life.

My Mary is in Heaven now, but she is gently nudging me toward the basement to continue my work on the NY&LB line. She was my biggest fan, despite the countless trips to Home Depot where she would make snoring sounds while tagging along after me in the lumber dept., or when I would present her with modeling-related bills, sometimes beyond our means, which she would just say "if it makes you happy". God Bless her!

I'm ready to resume layout contruction and will also resume the updates on the web site in the next week. It's just me and our beagle Abigail now, but Mary will always be looking over my shoulder cheering me on. I plan to eventually dedicate the layout to her when it's finished.

Thanks again for all of your support my friends!

Jerry

Construction resumes

Hello all,

I've resumed construction on my NY&LB line after taking some time off to regroup and decide where to go next with the layout. Progress will pick up as summer winds down and I plan to get trains running on both decks this fall.

I also updated the web site which you can see here. Thanks everyone!

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:

Back