New York and Long Branch in HO

awesome work on the layout. I really like those Alco P5 brass electrics you got. And the bridge you built is incredible.

Jerry,

I have been following your progress and I must say that your layout is amazing. I am 62, grew up in Brooklyn and currently live in Morganville NJ.

When I was old enough to travel on my own in the mid 60s, I spent some quality time railfanning at South Amboy. Great to see your portrayal of the NY&LB, a railroad that I am interested in and one with elements I am hoping to include in my layout.

I saw that you have both BLI and MTH K4s, would like to hear your opinion of both. BLI has advertised another run of the K4s and I may venture down to the LHS on Arnold Ave to see if it's not too late to pre-order one.

Thanks for the updates
Joe

Jerry,

I have been following your progress and I must say that your layout is amazing. I am 62, grew up in Brooklyn and currently live in Morganville NJ.

When I was old enough to travel on my own in the mid 60s, I spent some quality time railfanning at South Amboy. Great to see your portrayal of the NY&LB, a railroad that I am interested in and one with elements I am hoping to include in my layout.

I saw that you have both BLI and MTH K4s, would like to hear your opinion of both. BLI has advertised another run of the K4s and I may venture down to the LHS on Arnold Ave to see if it's not too late to pre-order one.

Thanks for the updates
Joe

Thanks for the kind words Joe. It's amazing how many people from all over fondly remember the old NY&LB along the Jersey coast.

I like both the MTH and BLI K4s locomotives. The BLI locos seem to be bullet-proof and have given me practically no problems so far. I just wish they had the smoke option which the new BLI run will include.

The MTH locos are fantastic with the smoke effect and the slightly better detailing IMHO. However, I found that the MTH lead truck's spring is too weak which causes derailments on any track that is not perfect, especially turnouts. I was able to correct that by just replacing the truck spring with one a little stiffer.

I will probably pick up at least one of the new BLI Pacifics when they come out later this year.

Jerry

The Sylvania Ave overpass now has some land to go with it. I also detailed the bridge a bit more with some tie rods and bolt heads.

Work on the Shark River movable bridge has started and photos will post to the site as it progresses.

Jerry

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

That landmass is as hilly as the Jersey shore gets. :)

Everything is looking great. I love following this post.

That landmass is as hilly as the Jersey shore gets. :)

Everything is looking great. I love following this post.

Thanks Ron.

That little cut/fill is the first significant one reached heading north from Bay Head Junction. The next one is planned for just north of Allenhust Station at the very end of the first half of the layout which is ready for track but right now holding all kinds of stuff (like a shelf would, shame on me). This section will also feature an underpass which I'm still toying with how to accomplish, as well as another overpass, all within a space of about 7 feet.
Jerry

hello all...

It's been a while since I posted any updates on the forums, but I thought I would let anyone interseted know that my layout will be open for visits on Sunday October 26th, 2014 between 9am and 2pm.

This is in conjunction with the annual New Jersey Layout Design/Operations SIG and RPM Meet that weekend. Ifn anyone wants to stop by, just shoot me and email and I'll provide directions.

For those who haven't been following, the layout web site is at http://www.nyandlb.com

Jerry

Welcome back! The Timonium show is the same weekend, or I'd sign up for the meet. You're doing a great job modeling the NY&LB-look forward to more pictures in the future.

Back