New York and Long Branch in HO

Jerry,

So sorry about your wife.

Your layout is fantsitic. My soon to be Aunt and Uncle in law live about 1 mile from the Bay Head station. You've done a great job converting the NY&LB into a recongnizable layout.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to further updates!

Carl

Jerry,

I am new to this forum, so let me extend my belated condolences on the passing of your wife.

As a teenage rail enthusiast living in NYC in the 60s, I had the opportunity to railfan most of the fallen flag roads of that era. I enjoyed the CNJ and was able to visit the Communipaw Ave. engine house (times were different).

Being able to ride a PRR local from NYP to South Amboy, for a few dollars to view the engine change operations, was a highlight.

I have been living in the Matawan area for the last 20 years and prior to retiring, rode NJT to NYP, passing what remains of the South Amboy engine house, MU storage yard and coal piers, daily.

Your representation of the NY&LB and your commitment to authenticity is amazing and as a new modeller a little overwhelming. I applaud your dedication and ability and look foward to more updates.

Joe

Jerry,

I am new to this forum, so let me extend my belated condolences on the passing of your wife.

As a teenage rail enthusiast living in NYC in the 60s, I had the opportunity to railfan most of the fallen flag roads of that era. I enjoyed the CNJ and was able to visit the Communipaw Ave. engine house (times were different).

Being able to ride a PRR local from NYP to South Amboy, for a few dollars to view the engine change operations, was a highlight.

I have been living in the Matawan area for the last 20 years and prior to retiring, rode NJT to NYP, passing what remains of the South Amboy engine house, MU storage yard and coal piers, daily.

Your representation of the NY&LB and your commitment to authenticity is amazing and as a new modeller a little overwhelming. I applaud your dedication and ability and look foward to more updates.

Joe

Thanks Joe

I sure wish I had visited some of the long-gone CNJ and PRR facilities you mentioned. I still get up to South Amboy when I can and hunt around the old facilities there that are slowly disappearing.

My layout construction was screaming forward until my wife's untimely death. Now it's slowly picking up steam as I pick up the pieces of my life and move forward. The more encouragement I get from my fellow modelers, the more I'm inspired to push ahead. Thanks everyone! I've started to lay track on the upper level so look for an update by this weekend.
Jerry

Jerry,

How did Hurricane Irene treat the NY&LB.

Joe

The layout came through without a scratch. Just a tiny bit of water on the floor in one corner of the basement which is amazing considering we had over 6 inches of rain from the storm.
I was more concerned last week when we had the earthquake. I was expecting to see cracks but again the layout survived intact.

As for the real former NY&LB, just some trees and debris along the row in spots.

Jerry

Great news for both NY&LB properties.

We were lucky up here on the Marlboro, Matawan, Aberdeen border.

Power remained on and the sump pump kept working. Since I don't have a generator or battery back up I was sweating any loss of power. Friends in adjoining neighborhoods are still without power, with no restoration in sight.

Joe

Jerry,

Have you been to theTrain Room on Arnold Avenue or the Railroad Warehouse on rt 35in Pt. Pleasant. I went to The Model Railroad Shop in Piscataway today, great place for both new and used equipment.

I'm a new guy here and to model railroading. 1) I am so sorry about the loss of your wife and 2) if your site was meant to inspire new people-it just did. Thanks for posting your work.

-Tony

Hi everyone. Verizon pulled a fast one on me recently so I had to find a new web site host for my NY&LB construction site. You can find it at www.NYandLB.com. The old site is in limbo and I can't even delete it, let alone modify it! What a kick in the butt!

I'll admit that that I'm still trying to get back into the mrr groove but I have been doing some work on the layout. My days off have been spent taking care of the house and minding my college-age daughter instead of modeling work but that is gradually changing as I write this message.

I'm still working on debugging some track issues and at times feel like tearing apart what I've built. So far, cool heads have prevailed and the various issues have been resolved. Stay tuned.........

Jerry

The layout is looking great.
I am about to start a double deck layout, and I was wondering what your spacing was between the 2 decks? From track to track, and the depth of your upper level fascia.

Thanks

The layout is looking great.
I am about to start a double deck layout, and I was wondering what your spacing was between the 2 decks? From track to track, and the depth of your upper level fascia.

Thanks

Thanks

I'm 6'4" so I built the layout with my working height first in mind and the mostly lower height of future operators, other than myself, second.
The lower deck is 37 inches off the floor while the upper deck is 58 inches. Thats 21 inches between levels. The lower fascia is 8 inches while the upper one is 4 inches. Fortunately, I don't need to hide lighting fixtures under the upper level so the 4 inch fascia works great at hiding the supports, wiring etc.
If you're asking about my track spacing, it's at two inches on tangent track while on the curves it opens up to a little over 2.5 inches since I'm running a lot of passenger traffic.

Jerry

NY&LB; It looks as you spent as much time with the photos & the web site as you did the room & layout.

Actually, the photos and web site are the easy part. The layout is the hair-puller. But thanks for the compliment.

The web pages started as a personal log of the construction of the layout and it eventually grew into more once fellow modelers got wind of it. I plan to keep it going until I eventually finish the layout or tear it down. :eek:

Construction Update

Just a little update on the progress of my HO New York and Long Branch construction.

I finally installed the final section of track on the first half of the double-deck layout. This was a code 70 section of flex track in the Neptune Yard and I'm now starting the wiring and turnout control installations.

You can check out the latest construction log at my NY&LB web site. This is a new link since my old site has been shut down. Can't wait to start digging into some scenery work on the upper deck.

Jerry

Great layout Jerry! I grew up in Elizabeth (Elmora) but was born in Point Pleasant. I was going to model the CNJ in "N" scale and had accumulated CNJ and PRR engines & cars for 25 years but had never actually laid any track. (I was in the Navy for 23 years) As I got older (now 64) I realized that my eyesight and finger dexterity had deteriorated to the point that I am switching to HO and forgetting about a 4 track main line.
When I was a kid, we used to go down to Point Pleasant Beach every summer and one of my fist stops was at the station.
Tom

Hello fellow modelers. It's been a while since I last posted here but progress continues on my NY&LB layout.

Trains have been running over the completed half and track de-bugging has slowed down as most of the issues involving the trackwork have been resolved. I've now turned to the scenery on the upper level with much anticipation.

I'm beginning construction of the Shark River rolling lift bridge after just completing the Sylvania Avenue wood overpass. The Shark River Bridge will be similar to the completed Manasquan bridge shown below. I plan to finish up much of the upper level scenery before moving to the lower level.

You can visit my construction log at my NY&LB web site. Hope everyone is having a great summer!
IMG_1001.jpg

The Manasquan River rolling lift bridge
IMG_1011.jpg

The Sylvania Ave. wood overpass awaiting details and built-up land.

Back