New Layout

NZRMac

In Training Down Under.
Hi please critique, this is mainline only so far.

Coal mine in middle peninsula, (green track) round clockwise to lower picture, back under itself, into helix down to lower level (blue track) round peninsula and to lower picture, into industry ( port or something ) thru reverse loop and back up to coal mine. 15 45' hoppers and two SD40-2's X two trains.

layout1.JPG

Ken.

NZRMac said:
Coal mine in middle peninsula, (green track) round clockwise to lower picture, back under itself, into helix down to lower level (blue track) round peninsula and to lower picture, into industry ( port or something ) thru reverse loop and back up to coal mine.

Looks great to me! As one of your as-yet-unspecified industries, how about an electric power plant to consume the coal from your mine [inculding a rotary dumper of course]. I do have a few questions though. [I might have missed some posts you did between now and your “New Train Room & House” thread – so I apologize if some of these questions were already answered elsewhere.]

It looks like you have been given extra real-estate beyond the additional 13-ft wide room I saw in your initial posting. Is that top section [with the helix & yard] for staging only, or will these be visible areas with scenery?

The helix seems to be plenty broad enough - but how much height difference & how many loops [i.e., maximum grade] are you planning for? This could also determine the maximum elevation [off the floor] of your lower level, which in turn affects whether you will need removable lift-out sections instead of duckunders to accommodate any less-agile visitors.

That lower left-hand corner area looks mighty deep - Is there going to be a pop-out hole there, to enable access to your trains in 'emergency' situations?

All-in-all, it looks to be a spectacular layout! :cool:

You have a lot of space and few industries. What are your running sessions going to be like? This looks like a railroad to scenic the heck out of, turn your train on, get a beer, turn on the Colts, and look-over when the commercials aren't good.

Ken, the extra real estate is the garage ( I won't miss the 8 feet ) and probably unsceniced.

Power plant is a good idea, I have a rotary dumper.

Helix is 40 inches outside 37 inner, 40 inches off the floor and rises 10 about 2.5 loops, grade is 1.7 ish.

I'm thinking of changing to true round the walls ( no loop bottom left ) and coming back to the helix via a gate over the doorways ( top left )

Chip, I know I know!!!!! more industries, and I won't ask again till I've done it!!!!!

Ken.

Wow! It looks great Ken. I'm probably not the guy you want for a critique as I've never tackled a layout that size. One of these days... :D I'm glad you're getting so much space to work with. Have fun!!!

Hey Ken,

If you want some inspiration for additional industries for your pike - small ones to hang off your main line - then I recommend this link to
Jim Brewer's N&W Shenandoah Division HO layout: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rdaniels2/

The era is 1956 - ~20 years earlier than what you are doing - but it shows very close approximations of the types of lineside industries found along the N&W.

I was hanging out at Jim's every Thursday until late August, when my kids' back-to-school activities required more of my time. If you see an industry or scene you especially like, let me know and I can go over there and take some close-up shots of it with my digicam.

Check it out, and enjoy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
NZ Ken, it's looking good for you. Nothing like plenty of space to plan with. One thing that I would suggest for your coal mine area that many people overlook: Coal mines need fuel, tools, and parts. Lay yourself a track beside the coal tipple and place the appropriate buildings along it, i.e. fuel tank, storage building, and etc.

I can't really tell how your coal mine level runs, but it seems like a long way without some way to reverse your locomotive. Have you thought about a small "wye" somewhere on that level.

My suggestion for the next development phase would be to make a list of all the industries you would like to have, towns, cities, hobbo camps, locomotive servicing, rivers/creeks, and etc. Use this basic layout plan and see where you can logically place them. Adjust this track design to accommodate the placement of these facilities. Don't worry about it being perfect as you will probably change this around many times as you build your layout. My initial design has changed so many times that I have lost track...and it probably will continue to do so:).

Grandeman I've never tackled anything that big!! let along something this important!!;)

KenL I have that web site bookmarked already, it's fantastic, I need to study it real hard and nick some ideas!!

Thanks Rex a MINE of information as usual!! I've had a restart and will go once around on both levels, I will need a gate or two for room access doors, but I like it much better this time.

Ken.

NZ Ken, I forgot to emphasize to not get caught up in thinking your final design is final. This intimidation has held back so many that sometimes they never get started. Just try to make all your major adjustments before you add scenery or other complicated structures. Additions can be made any time.

:D As long as they make circular saws, chain saws, sledge hammers, and axes, you can modify your layout when ever and how ever you want to.:D

I realized after my earlier post on this thread, I hadn't really planned for enough lineside industries on my own layout. So now I've started adding turnouts at strategic locations. Haven't decided on exactly what industries will go where, but at least now the infrastructure is in place! :D [Glad I discovered this before I added all the scenery/structures...]

Grand idea KENL. That will sure save you some hassle later on. I did that to a few of my areas, but heck...you can't think of them all. :)

I'm having that classic conflict... not as many industries as I want, but maybe too many for the trackplan!

Fortunately I'm so far away from building the affected areas, I've got quite awhile to work it all out.

Back