New Layout, Suggestions Needed

I’m taking a guess to you’re referring to how dark of a black to use with your current lighting? Grab some sample cards to see which color suits your needs directly in the layout room.
lol right now my lighting is a couple incandescent bulbs here and there…. I found something 80+ color index, 6500k daylight, try em out and see if I like em before I purchase more…
Looking good.
Hopefully here in a couple weeks something more to look at than a couple pieces of wood 😉

Got the lighting wired up for the section I want to tackle first, gonna work on a little benchwork while I get used to em, make sure they are gonna do the job, then get the ceiling done… Figured I better post something, working 75 hours a week, hard to stay active at home, maybe if I let others know I got a little forward movement it will keep me going lol

Got the lighting wired up for the section I want to tackle first, gonna work on a little benchwork while I get used to em, make sure they are gonna do the job, then get the ceiling done… Figured I better post something, working 75 hours a week, hard to stay active at home, maybe if I let others know I got a little forward movement it will keep me going lol
A little at a time soon adds up to a lot done, keep it up. :)

Yea, working that many hours a week makes it tough to even want to do anything when you get home.

I applaud you for getting something done. Just keep plugging away!

IMG_1170.jpeg
IMG_1169.jpeg

Haven’t had any extra time really, but got the lower level benchwork done in one of the rooms anyway. Trying to avoid legs, a little more difficult to get the sturdiness needed than I thought it would be…

IMG_1177.jpeg
IMG_1176.jpeg
I know they are pretty crude, but good enough to get the gist of it…. Top design equals more prototypical railroad (if you ignore the loop lol), but bottom design offers more visual aspect and a bigger challenge with differing track elevations and such…. Anybody have an opinion on either? They are not to scale whatsoever…

View attachment 177887View attachment 177888I know they are pretty crude, but good enough to get the gist of it…. Top design equals more prototypical railroad (if you ignore the loop lol), but bottom design offers more visual aspect and a bigger challenge with differing track elevations and such…. Anybody have an opinion on either?
I like the second one, as you say, it's visually more impressive all round.

The second one also has prototypical features. Passing sidings that will challenge your mainline scheduling. Are you planning to do some switching as well or more mainline running?

The second one also has prototypical features. Passing sidings that will challenge your mainline scheduling. Are you planning to do some switching as well or more mainline running?
Gotta have some switching, love watching the trains roll, but a little action always needed lol

Cuz of space restriction min radius will be 24.5, max 30, 2.75 between centers.
Hoping the 24.5 radius will work for the helix. #s 4 and 6 turnouts will be used, again for space saving.
For me 2.75 seems a bit wide for spacing, All my modules are 2" center on straight and 2.25" in corners BUT my radii are larger so maybe 2.5" in corners. I would also avoid true #4 turnouts at all cost. I would recommend go min of #4.5 or Atlas #4.75s (their custom line #4s). That tiny bit larger makes a big difference.

#4 Custom Line turnouts is what I use, and only in the yard, 6s for mainline… Would be nice to save even that little bit of space between tracks if I can. Will set up a quick demo before track laying to see if I can get away with it. Will have an Amtrak service so has to clear the longer cars, unfortunately I have none atm, but will find something to work as a replacement.

Back