New Layout for LASM

Congratulations LASM!!!

That is a fantastic space! I bet June 1st will be like Christmas morning for you!

Thanks for sharing with us, I am so happy for you!

Looks fantastic. And I'm looking forward to your backdrop painting on the walls.

If you haven't already seen it, watch Mike Fifer's YouTube video explaining how he does his clouds. I've been experimenting with that and like the early results.

One thing I notice from your pictures -- does the room have hydronic heating? Or is that electric baseboard?

Hydronic heating is great (my former house had it) but once in a while the water pipe can break or burst and flood the floor. (That happened to my former roommate, otherwise known as my ex-wife, who kept the house with the hydronic heating.)

I'm not saying that's anything like a common event, but however slight the risk, it's one against which I would want some kind of contingency plan...especially in a layout room!

Best of luck with the move-in!

-- does the room have hydronic heating? Or is that electric baseboard?

Hydronic heating is great (my former house had it) but once in a while the water pipe can break or burst and flood the floor. (That happened to my former roommate, otherwise known as my ex-wife, who kept the house with the hydronic heating.)

Best of luck with the move-in!

I don't know if it is called hydronic but it is hot water pumped through the baseboards. The house is located on the hilltop so even the water from the basement runs downhill without the need for a sump pump. The drain in the basement will take care of everything even if we get a rainstorm and the power goes out.

We are super excited and even my wife is thinking up stuff for the train room.

lasm

I don't know if it is called hydronic but it is hot water pumped through the baseboards. The house is located on the hilltop so even the water from the basement runs downhill without the need for a sump pump. The drain in the basement will take care of everything even if we get a rainstorm and the power goes out.

lasm

That sounds great! I'm pretty sure what you describe falls under the category of hydronic heating, and it's a really good system in my opinion -- easy to zone in a house so that you only get heat where you need it. I don't know what sort of benchwork you're planning and whether any of it will be against the walls with the heating units, but if so, you just might want to think about how to construct it so that in the unlikely event of a pipe break, you'll minimize damage to the benchwork legs.

. I don't know what sort of benchwork you're planning and whether any of it will be against the walls with the heating units, but if so, you just might want to think about how to construct it so that in the unlikely event of a pipe break, you'll minimize damage to the benchwork legs.

My wife wanted me to buy real legs like table legs from Menards but I am determined to use 2 x 2's.

I am going to fabricate the benches separately and spray paint the bottoms outdoors, legs and underside, black. Also pre drill holes outside. I decided not to attach the benchwork to the wall, but leave a few inches space. The wall will be painted sky and clouds, and I will make separate sections of plywood of hills and background which I will paint and then attach to the benches, to give the illusion of depth; since it will be a few inches away from the sky.

fun,fun,fun. lasm

lasm

That's always a plus if you have her on board as well. Congrats and can't wait to see pictures of progress over the next few moths.

LASM, I hope I'm not too late with this comment... There was club in southern New Jersey that I visited a while back that had the hill for classification. I had never seen one before that, and so of course I asked a bunch of questions about it, and here are a few things that I can remember about it:
1) They had to go back and add the air blow because some cars would simply fly down the hill. To determine which cars needed how much air, they added a letter to the beginning of the car's number. This letter told the operator how much air was needed to keep a decent speed.
2) The layout they had used code 80 rail. The yard inside used code 100. This was part of the design because they were afraid of derailments. When cars would collide (couple) at higher speeds. Apparently this didn't work as well since they still went back and added the air blow.
3) The uncoupling magnet had to be moved up the hill a small amount. During construction and testing, they found that if the coupler was being pulled by the weight of the car looking downhill, the uncoupling rate went down quite a bit.
4) One thing I learned about the hill - it was really fun to watch it in operation. The amount of space they had for the yard alone was about the size of your entire layout, so the sheer size was impressive in itself.

I don't remember if they used an electromagnet or not, but I would think an electromagnet would be better. This way, when pulling cars out of the yard at slow speed there is no concern for cars falling back into the yard. Unless of course you can keep some speed when pulling a train out of the yard.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Good luck!

bklynman-- Never too late to comment. Although I wanted to get making the "hump" yard right away, we (the boss and me) decided to wait until we moved in, which is still a few weeks out. I bought all the switches and track already, though. Assembled some low profile switch stands which operate.

A friend of mine lived near one (real one) of these in St. Paul/Cottage grove and talked about it's operation. Did you watch the youtube video? I thought those cars moved kind of fast, too, but my slopes are intended to be more gradual; and I will mock it up and try it out before nailing it down. Putting some grass in between the tracks is definitely doable and will be easier for me to perform than the air gust.

I suspect some of my cars will work on it and some won't, or I may have to rework some trucks and couplers to get it fully operational.

ALL thanks for the comments!!!!!!! lasm

Assembled some low profile switch stands which operate.

Are those the Caboose Industries hand throws that look like real stands? Or are they operated *by* the turnout instead of the other way around?

Erik,

I bought Rix short switchstands to go in my hump yard, and they move (operate) automatically with the points:

Rix.jpg

Rix2.gif

I installed 5 of these so far and they have to be lined up perfectly but work great and look nice.

I also purchased some of High Level Caboose Industries, but I think they will only work manual; correct me if I am wrong.

204HighLevel.jpg

lasm

The HO layout of the New York Society of Model Engineers, in Carlstadt, NJ has an operating hump yard. If you check their website, they might have some video's too. Last time I was there in person, it was about 4 tracks wide.

Erik,

I also purchased some of High Level Caboose Industries, but I think they will only work manual; correct me if I am wrong.

lasm

That's correct -- essentially they're a more realistic ground throw. I've been debating whether I want to use them at least in some places, but I haven't made up my mind.

Erik, I am using mine in a couple spots where I will have easy access and on spurs that I don't use that often. They look really cool and have a little gear mechanism so the lanterns turn when you move the lever.

The instructions are terrible, but I got a better idea of how to put them together from their web site. Still, they are lame on their schematics; wheras the Rix product gave an excellent explanation of assembly.

That youtube video is impressive and I'm really looking forward to the birth of this layout. Great space you got there!

Nice space you're gonna have! Sounds like you've got quite a bit of work cut out for you with the hump yard. Sounds like it will be neat tho once completed!

Back