New GAP railroad

I thought it looked kind of familiar. Doing lights for a structure that large and open is a pain. A friend of mine built one that's somewhat similar and used a half round translucent plastic on the bottom of the beam and ran the lights and wires inside of it. Looked like a pretty good imitation of fluorescent lights when he was done.

When I 1st wired the lites I wired them wrong. I did them in series which didn't work. I had to rip out my nice wire in a tube & do it right. That left wires sticking up above the strip. I should have wired up 4 more sets to make it real bright inside. But, when I started taking photo's I'm glad I didn't. The soft lite looks a lot better. The cover over the lites would have been a good addition to the structure. Maybe the next one. LOL

Did some Aerial shots of the layout today. Hadn't done any for about 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last 4 until I find a new project to work on.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry, my whole layout is about the size of one of your islands. :) That's a lot of track to keep up with. Is that the Tombstone Courthouse I spy in your downtown? I always loved that kit. Your air cleaner skyscrapers are always such a hoot to see. Looks just like downtown Houston. :D

Yep, Jim, that's what that Courthouse is. I added that big white skyscraper on the left w/the blue insert about 2 weeks ago. Those fans are cheap at yard sales & 90% of them are in good shape as far as the outside appearance. The insides are always the culprits & I usually do away w/the fan part & insert a piece of colored plastic. I have a lot of gear head motors out of'm. I figure I have a total of $100.00 in 20 skyscrapers.

Larry you have a sweet layout!!

Love the Coal and Gravel Mine!!

How did you make that curved bridge near the Gravel Mine and Power Plant?

Josh, Those roads are old slot Car tracks. You're not the only one that has asked that question many times. LOL The rails are plastic edging off of WM shelves in the fabric/Craft dept.

Thats a neat idea!! I like it. Im going to try and make some curved bridges casting them out of plaster, we will see how it goes lol

Back