New GAP railroad

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Decided to put all future photo's of the layout under this topic, since it's all new & will have all the construction pictures lined up by sections from now on, whatever that means.:) All of the below pictures are the start of Downtown. Still have a lot to do.
Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more of Downtown & a new giant bridge that I am scratchbuilding. I may make some changes to the bridge to make it look more in scale.

The good old Tombstone Courthouse. I haven't seen that model in a while. You've got some nice looking buildings so far but one question - why all the air cleaners in the background?

Nice work painting that corrugated metal siding! That must have been a pain.

I like the Aircleaners, they look like modern skyscrapers. Do they all work too? Your train room would have the best air quality around! :)

Jim & Fred, There's only 1 air cleaner for skyscrapers. The rest are tower Fans. 5 of them still work & I still turn them on w/a remote control. The rest have colored plexiglass inside to look like tinted glass. All of them have doors & awnings at the base. I got most of them from WM because they can't return them for credit. I paid $5.00 for each one working or not. I figured they looked like tall modern skyscrapers & they were cheap. The ones I see advertised in the catalogs run from $150.00 to $700.00 each & are custom made. I use a lot of found items for a lot of scratchbuilt structures.
Later on as I finish more area's you will see a lot of the warehouses & buildings I have made from diff. plastics & lexan.
The overpass is made from old slot car tracks filled in w/wallboard mudd & the railings are made from shelving edge plastic & the poles are made from 1/2" sch.40 PVC pipe. I still have to paint the lines on the blacktop. I make all my sidewalks from plastic sign material. The bases of all my buildings are also from plastic sign material.

Larry

Trees, Flowers & Cars

Here's some photo's of some more work to downtown. Added some scenery, automobiles, parking slots & repainted all the roads & parking area's.

Some more street & above level pics. This is all for awhile. Got a lot of street lines & more signs to add.

Wow! Now I know where all the 1:87 vehicles at Wally World have gone! :) That auto mall is interesting. It looks like maybe it started out life as something like a small aquarium? Very creative whatever it used to be.

Jim, The Auto mall is a plastic sign holder from Walmart. It sits on top of a 4way fixture & then they slide the price placards down from the top between the sandwiched plexiglass. I turned it upside down, added a 1/4" plastic roof(more scrap sign material), some shelf edge plastic molding around the roof, & some plastic shelf edgeing around the base. The edge around the base is glued on, but the building itself is not, so I can change the vehicles inside every once in a while.

Larry

Larry, I love it when modelers get found objects like that and turn it into something useful on the layout. Your mind's eye is better than mine because I never would have thought of using it for something like an auto mall.

On the Right Track

This area of downtown is almost finished. have to add more shrubs, tree's & lots of people. The rails won't get any ballast until I get done w/the whole layout. I added about 8 more buildings since the last photo's.

Trucks & Semi's & lots of Cars

This is a very cluttered area w/vehicles until I get some more sections finished & then some of these will be moved to those area's.

Coming along very nicely, especially the roads. Is that fire station a kit or did you scratch build it? It kind of looks like one of those German kits but not exactly. I need to think about a new fire station sine I have three engines and one bay. :)

Great idea with the fans, What about making them more permanent by connecting the three black ones with some tubing like the petronas towers?
petronas-towers.jpg
just a thought...

Back