Need Suggestion on installing a bridge

jetmech

I have all my tracked layed and I am installing a bridge over a river.
My question is, Does any one have an suggestions on how to build supports to hold the bridge up?
My lay out is in N scale and 1950 era. I was thinking a stone pattern would work.
My river is cut into 1" foam board.
I have had no luck in finding supports to purchase.
I would welcome any sugestions or thoughts you might have on this subject.

Thank You
Todd

How long is the bridge, either in inches or scale feet? To some extent, that dictates the type of bridge you would use. If it's 60 or less scale feet, you can use a simple plate girder bridge. Longer spans would require truss type bridges or stone or concrete viaducts.

All bridges need abutments to hold up the ends. As Chip said, there's a large selection of different bridge abutments at Walthers. First, decide on the type of bridge and then get abutments appropriate to the type of bridge and the shore terrain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure about this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a wooden bridge over a river (when low to the river and it is rushing water) be a covered bridge? or do I have the wrong idea?

Maxi,
Are you thinking of a covered bridge like this:

fisher_500_2_p9070174.jpg

Or a wood truss bridge like this?

compbri.gif

Wood covered bridges were used by railroads in the 19th century, primarily in the northeast United States. While not rare, they were also not common. In the days before iron came into common use for bridges, a wood truss bridge like the one in the second picture was in common use almost everywhere in the country where a wood trestle wasn't needed. As you can see, it does have a lot of wood but it's not covered.

Yes, Jim, I was referring to the first picture, actually I was planning to make one for my layout, over the river, but I guess the wooden trestle that I made will be enough. Here's a picture of the one I made, I wish I had more time to do them as they are really challenging, I bought this book some times ago "Model Railroad, Bridges & Trestles" of Kalmbach, and it really gives U good details and plans. So about 7 yrs ago I got a bucket full of wood, which is normally used for desk edges, made my own bench saw from a hand drill and a 2" rotary saw with shaft, and started cutting wood :) and these are some of the results, I hope I can make more of them :)

woodenTrestle2.jpg

woodenTrestle3.jpg

Bridge_sm.jpg

They still need detailing and weathering.

I have all my tracked layed and I am installing a bridge over a river.
My question is, Does any one have an suggestions on how to build supports to hold the bridge up?
My lay out is in N scale and 1950 era. I was thinking a stone pattern would work.
My river is cut into 1" foam board.
I have had no luck in finding supports to purchase.
I would welcome any sugestions or thoughts you might have on this subject.

Thank You
Todd

I was told to use modelling clay . Sculpty III. You can cut , shape it, then bake it. It gets hard as stone. You can get at craft stores. I bought mine at AC Moore in grey.

Very cool pictures everyone!
NYSW F45:then carve out the shape of the stone(s)
That is exactly what I did too in N scale and it is NOT difficult at all...O.K it will take some time but after all it will look great!

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice bridge work, everyone! Here is an example of an abutment that is carved from a small block of extruded foam, the blue stuff from Dow.

One I had shaped it, both for looks and so that it would support the rails at grade, I set it in place with acryclic latex caulk...the entire span on which this bridge sits crosses my operating pit and is surfaced with the same foam. Once it was set, I mixed a couple of colours, maybe three, of acrylic paint and added some plaster of Paris to give it some body and so that the texture would be more like cement when it dried. I cut the joint lines for the form planking way too deeply (live and learn), and the were done with an insufficiently sharp blade. However, overlooking that, it still looks quite good. The shadowing makes it appear as if it is two pedestals...sort of...but it is one big block.

IMG_1593r.jpg

Here's a pic of my HO bridge. I made the rock foundations from painted florists foam with grooves cut to form the individual blocks and the bents are wooden coffee stirrers.
Doc

Bridge Abutments

Hi JetMech
Maybe this will help. I made these abutments out of wooden ties. Photo below.

wooden_bridge.jpg

NYC_George

George has a good idea. Railroad tie retaining walls with rubble fill were a common type of bridge abutment used until well into the middle of the last century. This was especially true with small wood trestles like the one that George built since many railroads viewed these as "temporary" until they could be replaced by fill or concrete and tie abutments were cheap to build. They are also a relief from the common stone and concrete abutments seen on so many models. Good job on that bridge, George.

Back