Need my first decoder

Just got back from a train show north of me and I bought my first DCC quick plug equipped locomotive. (Athearn AC4400 Chicago and Northwestern #8826)

Now the question is, what decoder do you guys recomend? To help out a little, my dad just bought his first DCC controller and is going to switch from a dc layout to a dcc layout.

The DCC controller he bought was the Bachman E-Z command controller.
So again what decoder would you recomend to get to give me the best resuts from this locomotive when we get my dad's layout converted to DCC?

Chad

Your Dad's DCC is low end so just about anything you get will have more capability than your Dad's system can handle. A lot will depend on what will fit and whether or not you want sound (you do but it costs a lot more). I like NCE for a good low cost decoder.

Edit: It's NCE--I don't know where NCD came from.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I like QSI for sound decoders. :) Lots of choices out there and most are equally good. One I think most of us here would say to avoid is the MRC line although the MRC Brilliance line is an improvement over their earlier sound decoders and worth a look (and listen) if cost is a factor. .

Josh, I've always been impressed with the QSI sound system in my BLI units and the QSI Revolution is going to give the Tsunami a run for the money. I heard one a few days ago at a local club. One of the guys had gotten a production sample and it was nice! not only is the sound outstanding but you can select a bunch of different engines, bells, and horns. The decoder itself is really high end, with every type of speed step supported and more light options than you can shake a stick at. The steam one is supposed to be even better! :)

Awhile back there was a thread that someone posted and I read, it listed all sorts of decoders and prices...anyone know where that thread is located? Can't seem to find it now...

By the way I was also wondering if this loco i got DCC quick plug equipped locomotive, (Athearn AC4400 Chicago and Northwestern #8826) was a good deal? I don't think it was. I picked it up at the train show for 85.00. I see them on ebay for 35 to 60.

Chad, I can't find any thread like you describe either. Between www.tonystrainexchange.com and www.litchfieldstation.com you will find just about every decoder available with prices. Using prices from an older thread is probably not going to be helpful since prices change constantly, mostly to the lower side but sometimes higher.

$85 for the AC4400 is not the cheapest you could have gotten it for but you're also not paying shipping so it's probably close enough. I've overpaid a bit for a number of things I just had to have so don't beat yourself up over it.

I found that the following had decent prices on the universal QSI:
http://dccinstallsandsales.com/
http://dcchobbysupply.com/

Looks like I'll still need the Quantum Programmer to replace the horn sound files. QSI does not release individual sounds like ESU does for Loksound, however their descriptions seem to indicate that you can cut & paste the sounds, so I can get a K3 with my Dash 9/AC4400 GE 7FDL16, but they come with a S3BJ, or M3, only the Dash 7/8 model comes with the K3. Not sure how much different the engine sound is, but I would not chance the engine sound over a horn sound!

I been wondering how you install Sound decoders to a NMRA quick plug. I think all Tsunami's are hard wired aren't they?

I been wondering how you install Sound decoders to a NMRA quick plug. I think all Tsunami's are hard wired aren't they?

I think so.

Digitrax's sound decoders are nice. There are some that are easy to install. All you need is a digitrax motor decoder with a sound expansion on it. Plug in the motor decoder, plug in the sound decoder, then you're good to go!

Also, Digitrax has a new sound programmer at a lower price than their earlier programmers. You can connect it to your pc or loconet. It has 2 pads for you to screw-in wire a test track (you can test the sounds without the motor running) and you can also program the CVs before you put it on your layout.

I found that the following had decent prices on the universal QSI:
http://dccinstallsandsales.com/
http://dcchobbysupply.com/

Looks like I'll still need the Quantum Programmer to replace the horn sound files. QSI does not release individual sounds like ESU does for Loksound, however their descriptions seem to indicate that you can cut & paste the sounds, so I can get a K3 with my Dash 9/AC4400 GE 7FDL16, but they come with a S3BJ, or M3, only the Dash 7/8 model comes with the K3. Not sure how much different the engine sound is, but I would not chance the engine sound over a horn sound!

From what I have read, the Revolution - U (universal) is NOT shipping yet. I think there's a note at Tony's that says they got in a jam with a supplier (supplier went under and they had to find a new source) and it may be a while till it does ship.
The Revolution - A (lightboard) is shipping, although it looks like it might be hit or miss on being in stock. I usually buy from Litchfield Station. Last time I looked they had them in stock.
This place also says they have them:
http://www.ulrichmodels.biz/servlet/Page?template=dcc-sound

I haven't actually seen anywhere that says you can buy a Revolution with steam sounds yet either. I have a brass 4-8-2 that I intend on putting in a QSI Revolution. I see no reason to spend the extra bucks on the universal, though. I'm going to get a lightboard style, wire it, then SHRINK WRAP it. Instant universal. Not that much difference in the size, most locos have plenty room for the light board.

The Programmer looks like it may be $80 spent fairly well. I am hoping to get one for Christmas.

I have downloaded some of the software and sound files from the QSI site and it looks pretty interesting. For the Revolution, you can change any of the sounds you like and leave the rest. For example, you can pick from a BUNCH of horns, and leave the motor and other stuff they way it was. Right now, I don't think it will allow you to upload your own recordings of a horn, but I could be wrong. The latest version of software has added a "User Sound". I was assuming it to be for radio chatter or whatever, but I guess why couldn't you put your own horn recording.

If you check out the JMRI Decoder Pro site, it tells you how to use the QSI programmer with JMRI Decoder Pro. By doing this, you can tweak CVs for ANY decoder. You can't add or change sounds on other brands of decoders, but just being able to manage CVs with the same hardware interface seems like a plus to me.

Back