Need help with digital camera.

NIevo

Well my wife has been talking about getting into photography for awhile now and I'd like to suprise here and get a nice digital camera for her. I really don't even know where to start as there are so many choices out there. I can't really afford a uber expensive one but would like one that wasn't outdated within a year. Here are a couple I was looking at in the upper ranges of price. Are either one of these better then the other or is there another one that would better suit her needs for the price?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos400d.asp?dontcount=1
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d80.asp?dontcount=1

Canon, Nikon, which is better - this is a lifelong debate subject. I'm sure either one will so just fine. Some cameras have different features than others, but if you are new to photography you won't know which features you want/need.

And for your info, ALL digital cameras are outdated within a year. Just like computers, there is always a new model in the wings. The Canon 400D in your first link is a top one in their amateur line, a new SXi is coming out shortly with more goodies. Same as the Nikon one, there is an D60 coming out before too long as well. No use in waiting, as there will always be a better one coming out shortly!

I'll echo Bob's advice. I bought a Kodak 4600 five years ago. It was top of the consumer line then - 4 megapixels, 10x optical zoom, a real Schneider glass lens, and it had manual settigs for everything. It cost $800. I can buy the same camera in it's current incarnation with 9 megapixels, a beter lens, and it's an SLR for about $350. No matter how long you wait, there will always be another camera (or computer or almost any electronic device) just about to be released for about 25% less than you just paid for the latest thing. :)

Since Wife is just starting out and it's not clear if/how much she'll actually use the camera, I'd go with something very basic like the Nikon D40. Plus, you'll need to budget for a durable case, extra lenses, and accessories.

Outdated in a year? Nonsense. Of course there will always be newer/better/more expensive cameras on the market. But they won't necessarily take better pictures or make anyone a better photographer.

Good Luck!
-Bob

I would choose whichever one takes better macro photos. If you can't tell the difference, then I'd choose the cheaper of the two. I cannot imagine you would be unhappy with the Canon even though it is less.

Remember, there is a lot more to photography than going out and throwing money at a camera. A good photographer can take good photos with almost anything. It is in seeing the photo and knowing your equipment. In short, either would probably be more than you need, and if you aren't happy with your first results, look to improving your technique, not buying a "better" camera.

Good luck, and let us see some of your efforts.

I have a Fuji S3000 that was $239.00 about 3 years ago & I love it. It's real easy to use & I have 2 chips for it. I bought a cheap soft camera case when I bought the camera That holds all the xtra's.
My next camera will be the Fuji S700 which is a 8.5 MP w/a 10X lens. Right now the camera is about $289.00 at WM. I'm also looking at a new video camera about the same price.

Larry

Just because

Here is my camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_k100d.asp

I find a 6 meg sensor more than adequate for the size of prints I do.
I like the AA battery feature, no proprietary batteries, get AA's anywhere.
In camera anti shake, so the feature works with ANY lens Pentax made.
Lens' are a good price. As mentioned above, anti shake is in the camera, not the lens, and the camera will accept ANY 35mm lens made for Pentax.

The K100D had some of the best reviews for it's price class, but it seems you are either a Pentaxian, or your not. Just to let you know there are other brands out there! There are some pix on this site I took with mine if you search my threads, or here are some outdoor shots with the camera and standard kit lens.

http://www.vaxxine.com/tomspage/photo.htm

dpreview is the best spot for research, your on the right track (no pun)!

Tom

i've got 2 dslr's and numerous lenses. Bought 95% of the stuff thru bhphoto.com.
here's my stuff.
Bagofgoodies.jpg

Camerastuffboxlineup.png

I fail to see how parading all of the photo equipment one has or suggesting the Canon 5D has anything at all to do with the original poster's question whether a Canon 400D or Nikon D80 would be suitble for his wife as an introductory camera.

Pick either one, they will do just fine.

Ditto what Bob said! One question to ask yourself would be: What is she planning on photographing? One camera with one lens is not good at all types of photography. Also, what model will fit her hands and be comfortable for her to use? I would suggest that you go with her to a camera store (electronics store??? Circuit City comes to mind), have her pick up and hold different cameras and see how they feel to her. Is this going to be a "serious" Hobby or a "I just want to take photos" type of thing? Maybe an EOS is what she needs, and maybe a point and shoot would be better............

Personally I love my Cannon Digital Rebel XT, but it isn't the "right" one for everybody.

The best camera depends a lot on what kind of photography she plans to do. If she aspires to being a serious photographer then maybe those single-lens reflex types are what she needs, but most people are a lot more casual. If you have a camera that weighs a pound and a half, the urge to leave it at home can be pretty much overwhelming! Whereas if it's something you can slip into a pocket and hardly know you have it, then you're actually going to carry the thing and have it when you want it. When I got my second digital camera (having essentially worn the first one out through excessive casual use--but it took me 6 years even so) I went for the largest zoom range I could get and still have an easily carried unit, and I think that was smart. There are times when you want to pull in something far away, and times you want to take in a scene. Forget ultra-high resolution unless she'll want to print things out to large size: for display on a screen or posting on the Internet, they'll all give her as many pixels as anyone can ever see.

I was also disappointed in the very smallest cameras. I tried them out in Circuit City and when I held them up to my eye and operated the controls, it was as if I was tinkering with a piece of jewelry. Everything was just too small to feel right! Maybe a woman's hands would feel more in scale with a little camera, but I just had the feeling that it would never be comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree what John P said re a larger camera. Perhaps a DSLR might be too much for someone starting out. While I like using my Canon 400D, hauling it around with my lenses, flash and other stuff isn't practical much of the time.

That's why my "walkaround" camera these days is a Canon Powershot S5. It has a 12X zoom, all the manual and automatic controls, pop up flash, movie mode, 8 megapixels, White Balance, macro and super macro, face recognition, and a large swiveling LCD on the back. I can do almost as much with it as with the DSLR, so it suits most of my casual needs. A lot cheaper too! Many other camera manufacturers have similar ones, they might be more suitable. They can be left on A - Auto, or P for Program and the camera will make all of the choices. Use these settings until the basics are worked out, and then try some of the other setting such as aperture and shutter priority.

I fail to see how parading all of the photo equipment one has or suggesting the Canon 5D has anything at all to do with the original poster's question . . .
maybe you need glasses? :D

NIevo said:
. . . or is there another one that would better suit her needs for the price?"

good used 5d's can be had very reasonable.
no need to deal w/ crop factors.
to me it's worth it . . . so i shared my thoughts w/ the OP. no biggie!
didnt mean to offend your delicate sensibilities. :)

The best piece of camera equipment you can purchase right now is a book on composition and basic techniques. I can take better photographs then most in this forum using my 1953 Leica IIIF or my 1970 Minotla SRT 101. Both great cameras. These days digital is the thing. I have a Cannon A520 Powershot that I have taken many great railroad pictures with as well as a ton of Scubadiving pictures and videos with the camera. It has also been with me on no less then five bicycle tours.
The two cameras in your original post would be fine for what ever you want to do. Simple things like the rule of 9's will go a lot farther for better photographs then the most expensive camera you could ever purchase.
Practice, practice, practice. A lot easier in this age of digital photography. Thats what makes a photographer!

jim

The best piece of camera equipment you can purchase right now is a book on composition and basic techniques. I can take better photographs then most in this forum using my 1953 Leica IIIF or my 1970 Minotla SRT 101. Both great cameras. These days digital is the thing. I have a Cannon A520 Powershot that I have taken many great railroad pictures with as well as a ton of Scubadiving pictures and videos with the camera. It has also been with me on no less then five bicycle tours.
The two cameras in your original post would be fine for what ever you want to do. Simple things like the rule of 9's will go a lot farther for better photographs then the most expensive camera you could ever purchase.
Practice, practice, practice. A lot easier in this age of digital photography. Thats what makes a photographer!

jim

Any good books out there?

I personally haven't cracked one in awhile. Most of the stuff I own is probably out of print. The concepts never change though. Take a trip down to the local library. They will undoubtedly have several. I know Ansel Adams had a really good series of books. His landscape work was out of this world.

Jim

The best piece of camera equipment you can purchase right now is a book on composition and basic techniques. I can take better photographs then most in this forum using my 1953 Leica IIIF or my 1970 Minotla SRT 101.
jim

Perhaps you could share some of your phtos with us and prove what you've said?

Hi NIevo,
As a former pro photographer it all boils down to what you/your wife want to spend at present, the type of photography the camera is basically intended for and if there are future plans to progress to a more pro status in the use of it? All the afore mentioned is assuming you will have only one camera.

While interchangeable lenses are nice in some respects a fixed lens camera that offer a long built in OPTICAL telephoto such as the Fuji S700 or possibly the S8000fd gives you a whole lot of bang for the buck and aleviates the chance of getting dust etc on the sensor due to the fixed lens!

The S700 can be purchased from several reputable sources for about $200.00or less but you have to be careful who you deal with if buying mailorder.

Also the S700 has a built in Macro function and do many of the other fixed lens camera which is a nice benefit along with the ability of doing video should you/your wife want too. Also a small camera like the S700 is a lot less bulky to work with and carry around making it a lot more convienent.

I don't know where your/her priorities are as far a camera putchase are but it pays to give it some thought before purchasing.

Good luck,

David

Back