Need Advice on HO buildings

Nuttman

I am planning a new HO layout and need some advice on buildings.
On researching I have found some that I really like, but do not know the quality of the kits. The Branchline and Walthers kits look very nice and reflect the time period that I am modeling, but others like City Classics seem to have some nice ones too. Any recommendations or opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Walthers has by far the largest selection of buildings, most of good quality. City Classics has some very nice transition era buildings. Pikestuff has more modern steel buildings like fire stations and warehouses. Atlas has been coming out with some really nice residential structures. Intermountain structures are good if you want some wood buildings but they require some experience to build. American Model Builders is in much the same class, with nice wooden buildings but they are not easy to build for a newcomer. Don't overlook the Woodland Scenics built-up structures. Instant gratification and outstanding construction and detail.

I'd suggest you come up with a list of the buildings that appeal to you and we can give you some information about value, realism, and ease of construction. There really aren't many companies that making bad structures, just some that look better and are easier to build than others.

I have about 50% of Walthers on my layout, but for super detail, but are a lot more expensive is Faller, Vollmer & Kibri. I have quite a few Faller buildings on my layout also. Between the 3 Faller is the cheapest.

Larry

Let me pass on some structure advice given my by a couple MMRs:
If it is plastic, paint it.
If it is wood, stain it.
If it is older than three days, weather it.:eek:

I have a number of these building kits and pre assembled by Woodland Scenics available under, 'For Sale & Wanted to Buy'.

Kindly review my listings, I'll always try to give you the best deal!

Darn, this is one time I wish I didn't have all my buildings already done. I've been really impressed by the Woodland Scenics ready built structures. The workmanship, painting, and detail is outstanding. The price may seem a little high but, by the time you get the glue, paint, and details, it's not much less than buying the assembled structure. I know that I'd have to work hard to make a building as good as the WS ones I've seen and I consider myself a a fair to middlin structure builder.

Back