NCE Smart Booster is Trash

hamltnblue

I've now gone through 2 of them. The first one had faulty protection circuits that tripped if running 2 engines. The LHS confirmed and replaced with a new one. The second one ran fine for about 2 months. Last night I powered it up and the track circuit is dead. The controller powers up but the indicating LED for the track circuit just lightly flickers red like there is a short. Removed the wiring to the track and it doest the same. I hooked my Power Cab to the track and it works like a champ. Guess it's time to find an alternative. Any suggestions?

My guess either, they had one crappy run and you happened to get a few, or you're over powering it.

Well it's definitely not overpowered. Was running a single engine on it, then disconnected the track totally. The Power Cab runs it fine. I might consider going to another manufacturer at this point. I don't like the look of digitrax but I've seen enough good reviews.

I've had problem free digitrax operation for 5 years, one on a large club layout, and the Zephyr on my home layout. It's almost as easy as using an old MRC throttle. :) No reason to look elsewhere, I know I'm not the biggest fan of MRC or NCE, I've used both and I don't like their non-ergonomic control methods and unusual interface.

hamltnblue

Would suggest that you contact NCE and send it back for a replacement. they have been good about that.

Bob

Thanks Bob.
Normally I would but it's the second time around which tells me it's probably a design goof. I opened it up and noted that nothing is burned. They also rely on firmwareware based short circuit protection which is why they suggest using light bulbs for additional protection. There is also no obvious transient protection present. This could be fixed with a couple of PTZ's and transorbs.
The procab has been great. I think I'll save a few bucks and invest in a digitrax set-up and use the procab for a program track.

Thanks
Jim

You know, I've read here and on other forums about "my digitrax has done this, and my nce did that", and I can honestly say that my system has never let me down.
As for decoders, I'll never buy another digicrap ever again, but nce makes reliable ones. I'll buy Lenz, TCS, NCE and mrc ones. But, this is just me.:cool:
A friend of mine bought a dh165a0 along with the soundbug, and after 10 mins of running, the soundbug burn up. He trashed the decoder and soundbug.

I've read this post several times and just don't quite follow.
I agree, normally whatever brand we happen to like and purchase is "the best". But here, it's almost as if you are looking for and excuse/reason to switch brands.
Why you wouldn't call or email NCE totally escapes me. The biggest majority of model rr suppliers that I've ever dealt with are helpful and responsive.

And the comment about design flaw? I miss that completely. The product has been out around a year or so. Perhaps you purchased the first 2 that NCE sold? Pehaps NCE marketed the booster with absolutely no testing?

Both plausible answers to me...:confused:

What is the voltage of the transformer you are using? The SB3 requires a 15-16 volt ac transformer and no larger than a 24 VAC transformer or damage could result. If you have burned out two it may be your power supply.

Larry

The problem wasn't the transformer. I wound up trashing the booster and switched to the 5 amp procab shortly after my last post. I was going to switch to digitrax and my LHS talked me out of it. The reason I gave up on the booster is that I looked at the circuitry. Very poor design that relies on electronic short detection with no PTC's or other thermal protection. NCE also recognizes the problem and recommends using AUTO break lights for protection. The procab has been running for over 2 months trouble free and I'm happy with it. I stand by with my original post that the smart booster is trash.

My RR club has NCE and we never had any problems. We have 6 NCE boosters and they work like a champ. As for decoders, I got 2 Digitrax's decoders in 2 SD60M's and I had nothing but problems with it. To be honest, there hand-held controller looks like something made from Tyco. Funky, cheap buttons, cheap displays.

Back