My switching layout build

CSXPAID

Hello all,

I decided to start a building a switching layout that can be taken down easily in my apartment ( I got the landlords permission but I told them I just wanted to hang a shelf!!! I didnt totally lie).

Any way the specs are 18" x 9' hollow core door with 2" polystyrene with 3/16" masonite fascia hung 52" from the ground on 48" double row shelf standards with 14" shelf brackets. the backdrop is aluminum trim coil.

I have had the shelf made waiting to go up for about a month now I finally mounted the standards today and I am pleased with results so far!

I have a trackplan in mind but that might change!!

I will post all updates in this thread which some may happen slow or fast it just depends how much the 1:1 scale railroad wants to work me!!

Im excited to start this process, and my fiance is excited to paint clouds on the backdrop and do scenery!!!

The pics with the buildings and trains were just temporary I was seeing how things looked

hope you enjoy!!!!

DEVLYN

100_1156.png

100_1157.png

100_1158.png

100_1159.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! This is almost exactly what I'm doing with my HO shelf layout except I'm using 1/2-inch extruded foam for the backdrop. I have looked at aluminum flashing as an alternative though. You'll need a good metal primer before you paint the sky on the backdrop.

Got a trackplan to post?

Nice! This is almost exactly what I'm doing with my HO shelf layout except I'm using 1/2-inch extruded foam for the backdrop. I have looked at aluminum flashing as an alternative though. You'll need a good metal primer before you paint the sky on the backdrop.

Got a trackplan to post?

He's right on the primer. Some paints won't stick to untreated aluminum. (use to be in autobody, there is a treatment you can use but forget the name) I like what you have going so far and it's like what I am building also. My widest spot is 27" with no less than 16" on a wrap around the room shelf. Keep pictures coming!

Hey guys I had the day off work today so I hung the light fixture modules, also prepped and primed the backdrop!! Maybe today my fiance will paint some clouds after I paint the sky!

100_1160.jpg

100_1162.jpg

For those that asked about a track plan this is what I was thinking not sure though I might change it!!

the image is upside down but it is right side up for the layout if that makes any sense

andrews-home-layout-2006_jpg.jpg

More to come......

DEVLYN

Looks good! Might want to make that switch lead (lower right hand side as posted) long enough to fit at least your longest engine plus your longest car if possible.

Looks good! Might want to make that switch lead (lower right hand side as posted) long enough to fit at least your longest engine plus your longest car if possible.

Already took that into consideration the above plan if you noticed is 8' long my benchwork is 9' so the lead will be a little longer!!!

Thanks again,

DEVLYN

good evening everyone,

had a productive weekend I got the facsia's painted and also the backdrop! After doing some sample clouds they just turned out to cartoon like so I decided on a cloudless sky I will figure out how to use some photoediting software so I can add real clouds when I take photos

100_1167.png

100_1166.png

Thats probably all the updates until train show season

Devlyn,

Very nice start. The back drop and lighting look great. I look forward to seeing more construction photos.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
good evening everyone,

had a productive weekend I got the facsia's painted and also the backdrop! After doing some sample clouds they just turned out to cartoon like so I decided on a cloudless sky I will figure out how to use some photoediting software so I can add real clouds when I take photos

100_1167.png

100_1166.png

Thats probably all the updates until train show season

I agree with you. It's hard in the summer to get down to do layout things. I scuba dive and have the camaro in car shows and need to keep up with yard work as well as general things my wife wants. Please keep adding to this string title so everyone can follow.

Larry

Heres an update on the layout. After holding the switching layout design contest ( thanks to everyone who participated) I got alot of great ideas! I sat down with a pen and paper and a good friend and we came up with something I am very happy with! Heres what we came up with a main track down the middle for interchange cars a runaround on either side of the main 9 feet of main on the actual layout and 3' feet on a removable cassette. The industries are a general motors plant and parts facilities the main industry is the auto assembly plant with loading docks capable of holding 6-8 cars this is all I have room for now later on in life this will be added to a larger layout!!

track is micro engineering code 83 flex and #6 switches, and 2 walthers code 83 three-ways

Painted the foam a nice earthtone color. Even my fiance got into it. It still looked great even though she had a couple glasses of wine

100_1606.png

Mockup of the trackplan, to see what works and does not

100_1607.png

100_1608.png

100_1609.png

100_1610.png

100_1611.png

100_1612.png

100_1613.png

More to come later!!

DEVLYN

Oh ya, I remember this thread. Looking really good. I like the color of the earth tone color you painted over the pink foam.

Well done so far, keep us updated.

DEVLYN, I just gotta ask this.......... ;) What are the cigarette packs doing on the loading dock at the factory???

Looks like a good start. :) What kind of locomotive is that? I've never seen one like it.

Looks like a good start. :) What kind of locomotive is that? I've never seen one like it.

its an emd bl-2 its an ugly locomotive but neat. It one of those engines that you love or you hate the look of, there is really no in between I think it great

DEVLYN, I just gotta ask this.......... ;) What are the cigarette packs doing on the loading dock at the factory???

well the loading dock is not loading autos as of yet but the mockup dock holds packs of cigs well!!!;)

My dad saw them in the pics also and he said those are way out of scale for HO

he also said how do the little people load those things into boxcars?:D

Hes a goof ball!!!!

Actually I just forgot to move them for the pics

DEVLYN

Back