My switching layout build

Regarding the ugly loco, I'm with you on it being fugly enough to be a really cool item. You can probably pack a dozen more-common units onto this layout and that ugly duckling will start more conversations than all the others. I imagine it's role being that of the oldest, most weathered unit in the yard, where it stays and performs switching tasks only 'these days' for the more modern rigs that pass through. Sure, the yard could get something smaller and more efficient, but "Ol' Wanda" (so named cuz she was prone to derailment out on the roads decades ago) just won't die and the staff refuses to shoot the old grey mare! :cool:

Oops...sorry! That face sparked the imagination a bit! :D

Regarding the ugly loco, I'm with you on it being fugly enough to be a really cool item. You can probably pack a dozen more-common units onto this layout and that ugly duckling will start more conversations than all the others. I imagine it's role being that of the oldest, most weathered unit in the yard, where it stays and performs switching tasks only 'these days' for the more modern rigs that pass through. Sure, the yard could get something smaller and more efficient, but "Ol' Wanda" (so named cuz she was prone to derailment out on the roads decades ago) just won't die and the staff refuses to shoot the old grey mare! :cool:

Oops...sorry! That face sparked the imagination a bit! :D

That is quite an imagination I have some vivid pictures in my head!!!:D

The only problem is the railroad Im modeling is the pere marquette/ C&O in 1947-48 so the BL-2 would have been brand new then when it arrived on the property in june or july of 48 after the PM merged with the C&O! The PM actually ordered the engines in 47 with a PM style paint scheme only to merge with the C&O after the order was placed the paint scheme remained the same but it never wore Pere Marquette lettering!

BL stands for branch line which it was ordered for areas on the PM that had 65 and less pound rail. The engines pretty much stayed in Michigan and believe it or not although alot larger than an EMD switcher called an NW-2 it was 30 tons lighter

Later,

DEVLYN

Very nice work Devlyn, I agree with Tankist it looks classy!
Keep the pics coming!
Using the three way switches and running the track at an angle was a good idea, bought a little more run.
Great looking fiance too by the way, and she helps out... nice! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work Devlyn, I agree with Tankist it looks classy!
Keep the pics coming!
Using the three way switches and running the track at an angle was a good idea, bought a little more run.
Great looking fiance too by the way, and she helps out... nice! :)

Thank you for the kind words

One question: When you have your rolling stock at the front of the layout is it well lit? In other words, is the front view well lit?

Or is it back lit, thus shading things for the observer? Moving the lighting forward a bit will be easier now rather than later.

(My 4x10 is right below the fluorescent lights and I have the shadow issue. Lesson learned for next time.)

One question: When you have your rolling stock at the front of the layout is it well lit? In other words, is the front view well lit?

Or is it back lit, thus shading things for the observer? Moving the lighting forward a bit will be easier now rather than later.

(My 4x10 is right below the fluorescent lights and I have the shadow issue. Lesson learned for next time.)

thanks I will consider that, but the layout is pretty narrow and they are backlit a bit but not to awful bad

but I will really look into it

Better to fix it now. It may gnaw at you as time goes by. Or decide to accept it.

Right now you are just thrilled to have something built. (Been there. Now some things are bugging me.)

Got a little more progress done on the layout. Roadbed layed, secured, and painted!!

100_1632.jpg

100_1640.jpg

Later,

DEVLYN

Last edited by a moderator:
He's right on the primer. Some paints won't stick to untreated aluminum. (use to be in autobody, there is a treatment you can use but forget the name) I like what you have going so far and it's like what I am building also. My widest spot is 27" with no less than 16" on a wrap around the room shelf. Keep pictures coming!

I think the treatment is called alodine. It's available here:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/alodine1201.php

There prices seem OK, some places I saw wanted $80/gallon.

Cheers,
Ken

I painted the aluminum with a zinser primer after scuffing the heck out of it i hung it on the layout with no issues of flaking still looks good too

I know its been about a year since my last update but I am going to make it a point to share more!!

I started my chevrolet plant with loading dock a few weeks ago so far its been a fun project. The end door is animated and the loading dock holds 8 40ft. cars or 6 50ft. cars. the building is a low relief structure the illusion is frame flats/gons go in the building and brand new cars come out

52 dpm wall pieces make the structure with a whole bunch of styrene inside

the loading dock is scratch built out of polystyrene foam covered in styrene sheet

Still alot of painting to do but its a start

100_1891.jpg

100_1890.jpg

100_1892.jpg

100_1893.jpg

100_1889.jpg

100_1886.jpg

100_1887.jpg

100_1885.jpg

100_1881.jpg

100_1897.jpg

100_1896.jpg