My new Layout

Well guys sorry to say but I've drawn the curtain on this show, started tearing down the layout yesterday so no more pics will be posted.
Well, I have to say I'm sorry for whatever has happened. Has to be pretty sudden and dramatic to cause one to be flinging plaster mountains on a model railroad one day and tearing it down only a few days later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the move is for the better for you. Hopefully things will go well and you'll be able to have a larger and better layout in the future. You were just really starting to make a lot of progress. At least you weren't further along.

I like many model railroaders, have started layouts only to find out after a lot of work was put into the project, that the layout didn't meet my expectations or it needed to be moved for what ever the reason. My current layout is near completion, but I plan to add another section to it next fall. Many times I considered start anew, but continued on.

The best part of starting over is now having the experience of building other layouts and having new ideas and skill sets. New is usually always better in the world of model railroading.

Lynn, I enjoyed watching the progress on your layout and look forward to a new beginning.

Greg

One thing about going to another layout, the buildings are usually already done! And the rolling stock.

It's that track and scenery. It seems that there are always areas for improvement in those categories.

Thanks guys, its all good here . For the time being I will not be persueing a new layout but will drop in once in a while to check in.

Glad to know, hope you get pass the thinking stage very very soon.
Shouldn't be a problem. Hard to explain, I needed the second smaller room for something else ( the room I had just started on the big mountain) . I had thought I was done with working on this hobby and realized I had tore it down that really I was not done but more perhaps overwhelmed.There were some large structures that were difficult to fit in so they have been permanently removed from any future layout , this included some structures that I didnt like the finished results or the way they were constructed through the plans.
Basicly the plan from my last layout was worked and reworked many times over from previous layouts and had much of what I wanted and much of what I thought I wanted , that plan will be condenced and bit and things I thought I wanted removed which will probably include the wharf scene.

This has been a fantastic read for me. Thanks for all the tips etc. Sorry to see it end so abruptly. Good luck with your new endeavour.

Basicly the plan from my last layout was worked and reworked many times over from previous layouts and had much of what I wanted and much of what I thought I wanted , that plan will be condenced and bit and things I thought I wanted removed which will probably include the wharf scene.

Where are the pics of the wharf scene, if you could help me find them.??
Thanks, Brian

Lynn,

Darn, I was expecting to see everything in order and running smoothly - this was huge surprise! I really hope that things aren't so over whelming that you are giving up on layouts, I love reading what you are doing and "stealing ideas" from you. This is really sad but am sure your next one will be even better and looking forward to following it as well.

Thanks guys , it was fun and Tony yes a bit overwhelming. I am considering building something in the smaller room but kind of hard to build something meaningful in such a small area.

Lynn , I hope you can find a plan that will suit your space and needs , I really enjoy watching your build and I learned a ton from it .

Hi Jim after trying to get a plan idea in a small room I decided to go backto the original room with the plan I had before adding a room, stranger things have happened. This also means starting over from scratch, all my large diorammas I had given away which in a way is a blessing because there will be so much more open space.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOOO much to DO even on a 4x8 it can be absolutely overwhelming! IF you let it! Track, scenery, electronics, rolling stock maintenance, loco "hiccups" MISCELLANIOUS!

WHERE to START? "strokes for folks" as usual, it DEPENDS on "what you want to see" first, trains, or scenery.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see trains running through scenery, but as anyone who has done this for any length of time will tell you, "ya can't have it ALL, all at once!" Choices and priorities are as different as the layouts that require them. Whatever it is, I say GO for it!

so when does the build thread start? :) Glad to hear that it sounds like things will work out for you.
It'll be a bit before I get a start on, still have motorcycles to put away and garage to cleanup and then basement to rearrange. I`ll have to figure something out for backdrop and how to protect the nice new carpet squares I put down. My wife seems pretty easy going with it, her only question was will I be putting a big hole in the wall again, hense the old opening to the old addition.

Back