My first layout HO scale

Thank you both montanan and Tony

- Tony, first welcome back, nice to see you. I've read somewhere that some people build their layouts in modules (buildings, mountains, even lakes, etc.). But in my case, it was due to a mistake and it was the only solution. It's definitely one way of working on a layout.

Later

Just finish working on 12 feet of mountain in my workshop and installed it on my layout
Now I need to do the finishing touch such as the joints between the module and the layout

View attachment 50405

View attachment 50403

View attachment 50404

View attachment 50406

I have one more section to do, it's a small one, just 14 inches long. Then I'll need to finish the joint between all three sections of the mountain.
I don't particularly like the trees as they seem fake, but until I can do my own, these will have to do.

I'm also working on 2 videos, one is a how I made these modular mountains and the other is on my Canadian Pacific fleet of diesel locomotives (13 different ones ranging from 1943 and 1968)

Later

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed with the above - it does look GREAT! I too like the container yard and fences. What I DON'T like is how darn clean it all is - no one has a layout that clean and tidy and organized! :D

Thanks everyone, here's a better picture of my container yard

View attachment 50412

Agreed with the above - it does look GREAT! I too like the container yard and fences. What I DON'T like is how darn clean it all is - no one has a layout that clean and tidy and organized! :D

That's because I've got a cleaning crew that comes in twice a week just to clean my layout.....LOL

I like the paint job on those earlier CP locos, I've got a Red MP15AC with the Golden Beaver scheme and like that too, but the earlier is more attractive. A bit like our local QR which used to be in blue and gray but is now in the state sporting colors of maroon and yellow.

I was having fun taking new pictures of my layout and wanted to share them with you. Sorry, the pictures are a bit to big, but enjoy and don't hesitate to comment, I promise to not get upset.

The first 3 pictures is an overview of the entire Phase I of my layout

June152015%20001.jpg

June152015%20018.jpg

June152015%20019.jpg

The next 2 pictures shows my box car freight yard

June152015%20017.jpg

June152015%20024.jpg

Freight yard viewed from the container yard access road

June152015%20034.jpg

The container yard office building and storage shack

June152015%20026.jpg

View from the staging area looking at the container yard

June152015%20033.jpg

The freight office is being worked on, was waiting for the glue to dry and wanted to see what it would look like.

Like I said, any comments or even suggestions are welcome.

Later

Your layout is looking very very good Hawke - everything fits together very well in my opinion. I do envy you having so much room though, especially in the first phase of your layout.

PS: really like the ballast work you have done as well.

Really looking good Hawk. Great pictures. Glad to see the progress. Waiting for more updates.

Well done ............................................Chet

As promised, here's a video I made of the making of my modular mountain cliffs, enjoy

[video=youtube;6UwTrJOQNas]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UwTrJOQNas[/video]

As usual any comments are welcomed
Thanks

Smartly done, sturdy looking, awesome details. Y'all are settin the bar mighty high!

That two level action is sweet!

The video is awesome. I am in hopes of putting that same technique to play on my layout. I've got the first section of rock/cliff face drying right now. I used drywall plaster instead of Plaster of Paris just because that's what I happen to have on hand. Still looking pretty good, though, just gonna take forever (like, a week) to fully dry.

Thanks new guy, much appreciated

Hey KB02, thanks, I used drywall plaster on the base of my container yard and it took almost 2 weeks to dry. OK, It was 3/8" thick that's why and since then I've been using plaster of Paris

Hawke,

Great video. I have a couple questions:

1. What is the paint that you are using that you dilute 16:1 brand? acrylic? enamel? what are you diluting it with?

2. What is the grass that you are using. Is that something from Woodland Scenics?

3. The small metal ring that you used to "sprinkle" the grass... did you make that or is that something from Woodland Scenics.

4. What mixture are you spraying out of the spray bottle. Is that a water and something mix?

Again great video...I really like the tin foil technique that you used.

Thanks Chet, greatly appreciated

Hawke,
Great video. I have a couple questions:
1. What is the paint that you are using that you dilute 16:1 brand? acrylic? enamel? what are you diluting it with?
2. What is the grass that you are using. Is that something from Woodland Scenics?
3. The small metal ring that you used to "sprinkle" the grass... did you make that or is that something from Woodland Scenics.
4. What mixture are you spraying out of the spray bottle. Is that a water and something mix?
Again great video...I really like the tin foil technique that you used.

Thanks a lot
1) I bought the Woodland scenic kit of 8 acrylic paint to learn what type of colors to use, than I used the cheap acrylic paint you find at a dollar store to make as close as possible to the ones in the kit.
2) Yes woodland scenic Fine Turf earth, soil and burned grass. (I think I do mention it in the video)
3) Would you believe it a small drain filter use in plumbing.
4) It's only water to keep the grass down and then I add the 50/50 mixture (water/white glue).

Thanks new guy, much appreciated

Hey KB02, thanks, I used drywall plaster on the base of my container yard and it took almost 2 weeks to dry. OK, It was 3/8" thick that's why and since then I've been using plaster of Paris

Great work Hawke. I don't know what drywall stuff or PoP you use but I buy the powder with either a 20 or 45 minute set time and mix it myself. Granted the drying time will depend on the thickness but I don't think I have ever waited for more than 24 hours for something to dry, unless it was "out of date" powder and probably would never have dried.

Actually, using 20 minute set time, I was playing around with making some "molds" of rock faces for the G Gauge. The PoP was about an inch thick and that took 24 hours to dry to a point where it was handle-able. The thing that caused it to take that long (I think) was because I did it and left it outside so the night dampness got into it.

Back