My beginner HO layout, 4 x 6 in my garage

Scott,

I really like that locomotive, it looks great and I'm glad you worked out the issue you were having with it. The layout looks good too, I like all the details you have added to it. Keep the updates coming!

Steve

Steve,
I think that is the way I am going, I can only run one train at a time anyway. I am adding some passenger service to it, I already had a small passenger station. I really like the look of steam, it has a great history. What a great time that must have been.

Thanks
Scott

Oh Scott, another diesel man lost to the charisma of the steam locomotive?

Steamers are cool, I have to admit, but they are relegated to Christmas duty on my layouts. I don't even own an HO steam locomotive. I have heard Bachmann's Spectrum series is good, but not their bottom line steamers. Take that for what it is worth.

One train is more then enough!

Great looking locomotive, thanks for sharing it with us.

Louis,
Sorry about that, I thought it would be a nice change for me. The diesel stuff I had was from different railroads and nothing matched. I going with Southern Pacific now, well once I get the decals on the locomotive. It is all a work in progress. Thanks for looking.

Scott

Thanks lasm,
I know the coal tower is not a high end model, I tried to do the best I could with my skill level. I think overall it came out pretty good. I really like the locomotive, it runs real nice, I want to wheather it but I am a little nervous about it. I don't have an airbrush, so I will have to experiment with a junk diesel I have laying around. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks again for looking.

Scott

Louis,
Sorry about that, I thought it would be a nice change for me. The diesel stuff I had was from different railroads and nothing matched. I going with Southern Pacific now, well once I get the decals on the locomotive. It is all a work in progress. Thanks for looking.

Scott

No need to be sorry, I am happy for you!

I want to wheather it but I am a little nervous about it. I don't have an airbrush, so I will have to experiment with a junk diesel I have laying around. If you have any suggestions please let me know. .

Scott

You can do a pretty good job with weathering powders or chalk. I used a packet purchased from Bars Mills contained 4 weathering powders, one black and three rust colors. They are messy so you have to keep them away from the children!!

lasm

Thanks lasm, I will check those out. Looks like I am going to start decals pretty soon, I am practicing right now with the decals I will not need. Looks like the practice stuff is going pretty good.

Thanks
Scott

Hey everyone,
Just thought I would post some pics of an idea I had. Like most you guys, I do not have a lot of money to invest in our hobby, so I thought I would scratch build a structure out of materials that I had. I know you are going to laugh at me but I used matchsticks as support beams for the walls and roof. I also used strips of cereal box to look like wood planks. I glued the strips to the matchsticks and then sealed it with some clear matte. I then sprayed it with primer and mixed some white paint with some mod podge and painted it on with a brush. After it had dried, I painted it with white paint agian using a brush. The shingles on the roof are strips os sandpaper that I cut out and made small slits in each strip. I glued those to the roof and put some weathering on it. I had a door and small window left over from some kits, so I used those. Over all I think it turned out ok, it added a small structure to the layout and it was almost free. I know it is not perfect, but for me it works. Thanks for looking. wells1.jpgwells2.jpgwells3.jpgwells4.jpg

Thanks Jeff. I thought I would try it out and if it looked really bad at least it did not cost anything but my time. Thanks again for looking.

Scott

Lynn,
This is my first layout, doing it on very little money. My wife said I needed a hobby after I had to go on disability in December. It's small and simple but at least I can sit in the garage and tinker with stuff. Might try to make some more cereal box stuff, we will see how it works out. Thanks for looking.

Scott

Cool building Scott, turned out great and looks weathered. It will look nice on the layout now that your running steam.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nicely done, Scott. Did you cut the cereal box into thin strips for the planks, or did you just scribe a solid piece? LASM has posted about making scratchbuilding materials for roofs and siding out of cereal box cardboard (laminating two layers).

UPDATE: My bad, if I had read a little more closely my question was answered!

I am curious whether you cut the strips with a hobby knife and a straight edge, or if you used some other method, such as a paper cutter that is sold for scrap-booking.

This really is a nice piece of work, Scott. Thank you for sharing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back