Modeltrainsweathered changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahem...That's my car that the boys have been talking about. I've been weathering equipment for, oh, 40 years now, long before some of those guys were born. The use of highlighters is just one more tool in a large basket of things I use. Now, Mr. Head, the car was dull-coted before I weathered the car and afterwards. You apparently think that the folks at MTW are the only ones not stupid enough to test a technique on a junker car before trying it. Your posts were not lighthearted, they were mean. Why not spend a buck for some highlighters and see if they work rather than lumping this along with instant weathering in a can?

My objection to MTW is the self-appointed "experts". I've seen some your work. Mr. Head. Some of it is very good. Some of it is crap, and people there should say so. But, as long as you are one of the anointed, they save their venom for the newbie who needs to be taught a lesson. You say you are not a 'weathering god" but a review of your posts at MTW sure make you look like one. I'd be happy to go head to head with you on any weathering job you wanted to do but you're not worth the time. I say good riddance. At least those few who are still left next year will have to pay for the privilege of abusing one another. Oh, and when it comes answers about people asking for criticism, try some of those smart ass answers on your wife when she asks you about a new dress. With your attitude, I suspect you're already divorced or soon will be. It's call being civilized, something a lot of you folks haven't learned.

ok, you seem like you know a hell of a lot more than the rest of us, so why don't you go sign up at mtw and become an 'expert'? seriously... i'll even pay for your first year's subscription... you are here touting your 'over 40 years' of experience, put it to good use and teach us that may not be as experienced as yourself how to do it correctly... i mean, i've only been doing it for 5 years or so and i'm always learning new stuff...

i find it interesting that what you are talking junk about mtw for the same type of behavior you just exhibited on my latest car and are doing to me right now in this thread...

i never said anything about YOU... i spoke only about your technique... you on the other hand took the opposite approach... yeah, i'm a smart ass and i like being that way but i never said anything about you or your marital status or whatever... your comments seem just a tad hypocritical for some reason...

maybe we all should keep in mind that what we are talking about are toys... are we really going to get this worked up over toys?

if you want to throw down in some sort of weathering challenge, i'm all for it... i'll let you pick anything you want to do... i may even use high lighters if you'd like...

jeremy

ok, you seem like you know a hell of a lot more than the rest of us, so why don't you go sign up at mtw and become an 'expert'? seriously... i'll even pay for your first year's subscription... you are here touting your 'over 40 years' of experience, put it to good use and teach us that may not be as experienced as yourself how to do it correctly... i mean, i've only been doing it for 5 years or so and i'm always learning new stuff...

i find it interesting that what you are talking junk about mtw for the same type of behavior you just exhibited on my latest car and are doing to me right now in this thread...

i never said anything about YOU... i spoke only about your technique... you on the other hand took the opposite approach... yeah, i'm a smart ass and i like being that way but i never said anything about you or your marital status or whatever... your comments seem just a tad hypocritical for some reason...

maybe we all should keep in mind that what we are talking about are toys... are we really going to get this worked up over toys?

if you want to throw down in some sort of weathering challenge, i'm all for it... i'll let you pick anything you want to do... i may even use high lighters if you'd like...

jeremy

One of these days you'll wish you were not so proud of that, but my guess is your only like that on the computer correct??

Also regarding UP2CSX's post in your other thread about the car you weatherd, he was just saying to you what gets said to alot of people on MTW. Yes I am a member there, have I ever posted there nope will I prolly not.

Why you ask, sure i like critisisim and all it helps build technique, but I dont feel i should have to sit there and read somone being an asshole about it.

thats my outlook on this whole thing. You got rivetcounters will call em in every hobby to where what ever the subject model may be. Its a freaking hobby for crying out loud OMG. Some people take this crap way to seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these days you'll wish you were not so proud of that, but my guess is your only like that on the computer correct??

Also regarding UP2CSX's post in your other thread about the car you weatherd, he was just saying to you what gets said to alot of people on MTW. Yes I am a member there, have I ever posted there nope will I prolly not.

Why you ask, sure i like critisisim and all it helps build technique, but I dont feel i should have to sit there and read somone being an asshole about it.

thats my outlook on this whole thing. You got rivetcounters will call em in every hobby to where what ever the subject model may be. Its a freaking hobby for crying out loud OMG. Some people take this crap way to seriously.

nope... im like that all the time... if you can't see the humor in life you just end up being a crabby-assed old man that no one want's to be around...

and if you aren't going to post or comment, why be a member? and upwhatever posted his thoughts on my car and i'm still here... i didn't cry in my cheerios or whine or complain... in fact i asked him for more opinions... and if everyone on this board agreed with him and said so, i'd still be here... do you all see my point?

and yeah, i think we agree on your last point...

jeremy

ohhh man, i stopped reading this thread after my last reply, i can see i opened up a whole can of worms here by my original post on the first page of this thread LOL

Mr. Cable, you have been a member here for two years with 10 posts and ask why people lurk at MTW and don't post. I think it's the pot calling the kettle black. Why would I want to sign up at MTW and take the self-admitted smart ass comments of people like you? The folks here are more than willing to give constructive suggestions when I post weathered cars, not suggest it should be thrown in a bottle or the method, obviously one you've never tried, is just a search for instant gratification. As to your marital status, my experience is that guys who are not only smart asses but are proud of it rarely have a successful relationship with the opposite sex.

As I said before, you and MTW are not worth the time, any more than the picture you posted. It's actually a nice car but that's exactly the "advice" I'd get at MTW.

This is the last message I'll post on this subject.

I, too, have been in the hobby longer than some of these young turks have been sucking air. The best weathering job I have EVER seen was a gondola done using no airbrush, just enough paint to highlight, and a "rattle can" to seal it all. It was done by a man by the name of John Parkinson. He used all natural material and the job was, in a word, AMAZING. Far better than ANYTHING I've seen on MTW.

It is my feeling that if we were to take away the airbrush from some of these self proclaimed "experts", they would have no idea where to even start. Weathering is a lost art since the airbrush has gained popularity. And some of the jobs I've seen lately, using the airbrush, are quite gaudy.

I think it, the airbrush, has also perpetuated the failure of some of those using it to remember to use the CAPS key, too.

Bob

Bob

I, too, have been in the hobby longer than some of these young turks have been sucking air. The best weathering job I have EVER seen was a gondola done using no airbrush, just enough paint to highlight, and a "rattle can" to seal it all. It was done by a man by the name of John Parkinson. He used all natural material and the job was, in a word, AMAZING. Far better than ANYTHING I've seen on MTW.

It is my feeling that if we were to take away the airbrush from some of these self proclaimed "experts", they would have no idea where to even start. Weathering is a lost art since the airbrush has gained popularity. And some of the jobs I've seen lately, using the airbrush, are quite gaudy.

I think it, the airbrush, has also perpetuated the failure of some of those using it to remember to use the CAPS key, too.

Bob

Bob

I USE AN AIRBRUSH TO SEAL MY CAR WITH A MIX OF DULL-COTE... THAT'S IT...

look i found my caps key... :D anyway, all i use are small brushes... everything on that car was brushed on... i'm absolutely horrible with an airbrush...

jeremy

Mr. Cable, you have been a member here for two years with 10 posts and ask why people lurk at MTW and don't post. I think it's the pot calling the kettle black. Why would I want to sign up at MTW and take the self-admitted smart ass comments of people like you? The folks here are more than willing to give constructive suggestions when I post weathered cars, not suggest it should be thrown in a bottle or the method, obviously one you've never tried, is just a search for instant gratification. As to your marital status, my experience is that guys who are not only smart asses but are proud of it rarely have a successful relationship with the opposite sex.

As I said before, you and MTW are not worth the time, any more than the picture you posted. It's actually a nice car but that's exactly the "advice" I'd get at MTW.

This is the last message I'll post on this subject.

all i do right now is weather cars... if i were to be interested in the other aspects of the hobby i'm sure i would have interacted a bit more... this seems like a fine forum to be a member of and it's hard to be active in a forum like this when your sole motivation is hardcore weathering...

you're really taking to heart my liquor bottle comment aren't you? well, if it makes you feel any better, i can accept and admit that i may have just dismissed out of hand your method without investigating it further... you're right, i should have gone and tried it myself before down playing it's effectiveness... but i have a question for you... on your thread where you posted your method, the lettering looks pink... is that supposed to be that way? because most of the faded cars i've seen, the color fades but the white stays white... were you following a proto pic at all? i guess you could color the car but not the lettering and it would look nice...

as far as a search for instant gratification, yeah, something as simple as coloring your car with hi-liters seems rather quick and easy and a search for instant gratification... and no, i didn't say it should be put in a bottle...

i find it interesting that you seem to be making blanket statements regarding me and everyone else at MTW when it seems you've never been there...

should i take your hostility towards me and form some blanket theory that everyone at this forum is the same way you are? i could take your lead as far as my status with the opposite sex and make all kinds of assumptions about you and your lack of whatever, wherever or whenever but unlike you i don't work that way...

so no dice on the free MTW subscription? that's too bad... should i make assumptions there too?

anyway,
jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back