model railroad planning

Yeah Chip, I know. Just thought I would toss another one. I would bet that I read a stack 3 feet high of books and surfed 100's of sites before starting my design. Heck, I didn't even know a forum existed until I was under way for a year.

Chip & bnsfmodeler, I'll draw up the plan with the island coming from the sides, as I agree 18" is TIGHT.

bnsfmodeler, we're not trying to be mean or anything, but we don't want you to be annoyed right after you spend the money to build this guy cause its to tight, or something...

hey guys thanks again, and i read the new manuel that you posted, it helped some. It got me thinking what kinda mrr i should build in my space, now that i read that, do you guys think its possible to do a double deck layout?? BUT I STILL WANNA SEE THE DESIGN THATS ONE DECK WITH THE PININSULA. Also later on today ill post another one o drew thats around the walls with a yard on one side, and in the middle it has a 2ft wide pininsula, on the pininsula, i will have around 5 industries, 2 holding tracks, it will be stub ended. Thanks

thanks
regards

Two things. 18" is not enough. Oh it will be okay most of the time, then you or a fat frend is going to do some serious damage when you aren't thinking.

LMAO, I have min-36" isle width and you get two grown men in there, that seems like 18"....

well, just to lets you guys know, im only 13.....
so 18'' is plenty room for me, because i only have 2 other friends that would do operating sessions with me, soo 18'' wont be too tight at all, because we would have 2 mainline operaters and 1 yard and 1 industrial operater. So we would all be in different area at different times.

thanks
regards

So you have a space 10 x 15 and it will take approximately 50 hours/sq to build so figuring you work on it 15 hours per week, so you'll finish it when your 19 or so providing you don't get interested in partying or girls.

You think there's a chance you'll grow any between now and then?

BNSF, your trying to stuff TOO much into a small space. Double decking wouldn't solve a thing, you still have the issue. Be happy with the around the walls for the time being. Heck when I was your age, I was greatful to find room for 4x8 sheet.
You have the chance to do what we all suggested and use the middle for a yard, thus avoiding the tight clearance. Doesn't matter your age, we are all speaking from experience on this one. If you had any operational experience, it will tell you 2 things
1.) More ISN'T better
2.) Isle space is PRECIOUS
Just because you are young, doesn't mean 18" will work. It just means you don't want to limit yourself down. Sometimes being pulled back by the reigns is a GOOD thing. Learning to start smaller lets you learn the complex nature in track design. You learn what WILL and what WON'T fit into an area.
You seriously don't need to rush into anything.

Start by building some 2'x4'or8' modules out of 1x4's get the benchwork done, then go from there. Narrow the layout over the door entry, since you have to have a duck under, leave it no wider than 8" or so. Less here is a great thing.
If you make your center area a yard and no turnaround loop, then you get isle 24" isle, which while they are TIGHT, they are better then 18". This will give you a YARD and the ability to run trains around, also giving you a yard lead to switch from too.

Take these things you are hearing here and apply them. You are starting to sound like you want an EMPIRE is a shoebox and that won't fly and most will simply lose their patients with you. Just my experience.

ok CIOR thanks, i have designed a around the walls layout that i like better, ill post it here. But i changed it a little bit. On the 24'' center thing, it will be just one big industrial area, it will have 5 industries, and 2 holding tracks. It will also serve as an interchange with the Union Pacific Railroad. And at the entrance like i told you will be about 15'' wide, as it will be along that side of the room. On the oppisite side of the room, will be the yard, 5 tracks, with a 3 track engine servicing, storage area, and right after you exit the yard, there will be a hole in the wall, where it will go to the other room, where there will be a 8'' wide peice of wood. There i will have a 3 track staging yard. ill post the trackplan below.

HERE IT IS
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6471&stc=1&d=1179027694

hope this helps

thanks in advance
regards

i live in southern california, so its around 85-90 degrees in the summer, it gets sround 50-55 degrees in the winter, and somewhere in between 60-75 degrees in the fall and the other seasons. hope this helps

hello again, alco locomotive, the building is insulated, and yes it does have a window that i will eventually put an air unit in.

CIOR, i live in california

jbaakko, please keep working on that layout, i would really like to see what i can really fit into my space, seeing that you model the same railroad i do, you would know what to include, and the radii to use and whatnot

thanks again to all of you guys youve been an EXTREMELY BIG help.
regards

Then why in your email did you say you lived in Cincinnati? You have me confused now.

BNSF, the plan you drew seems to be a good start and quite a jump in improvement over your first. The use of the WYE at the peninsula is very good. John Armstrong has that in one of his plans. Why not go with it and if you have a better idea as you go along...make the change.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
BNSF,

I recommend you download the Atlas "Right Track Software," which is a CAD program that will let you design your own layout <http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm>. RTS is a pretty elementary model RR CAD program, so it should't take you long to learn it. But it will be extremely helpful for you to visualize what will fit in your given amount of space.

If you really want/need the center peninsula, I think it's do-able with a 24" outside track radius and 22" inside track radius. You can use 16" wide shelving all around the walls and for the peninsula, which will give you 2' of space on either side of the peninsula. Or you could adjust as necessary to make the peninsula wider or narrower to your liking, but in any case, please stick with the 2' aisle space (you'll thank yourself later).

Also, you should keep your track centers separated (that is, distance between centers of parallel tracks) by a minimum of 1-13/16" on straights and 2-1/8" on curves. With that information and your other constraints, and with the RTS software, you are well on your way to a good start.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex: i might want to switch the location of the yard and industrial pininsula so it would be the yard on the pininsula, and the industries along the mainline

And for the atlas free trackplan thing, i have already downloaded that, but have switched to rd planet so i can run trains on the layout i design, thanks anyways

thanks again
regards:)

Back