Model photo......

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Old 97

Hogger
This is one of my best model photos I've been able to produce.
The Engine, tender and boxcar were placed on a small winter diorama that I built.
The "steam" was produced by using the old cotton ball trick. :D
I made the trees from some weeds that were dried and trimmed to the desired shape.
Snow is just standard baby powder.

Last edited by a moderator:

sushob

Entrepreneurial Teen
Wow! Quite truthfully I wouldn't have know it was a model if you hadn't said so. Some may argue that the trees clutter the scene, but I feel they make it that much more realistic.

How exactly does the cotton ball trick work? It appears as though some is suspended in mid-air...do you just drop it while taking the photo, or is it actually held there by something?

Old 97

Hogger
Nate,
Thanks for the kind words.
The "cotton" trick works by stretching a cotton ball to form a cloud.
I used a Q-tip in the stack and spread the cotton ball over that.
The cotton higher up in the trees is just placed on the tree branches. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Yes I have to agree the smoke adds a very nice effect and the the trees add texture ( if that's the right word) to the scene. One little question is that a car buried in the snow under the trees, looks kind of like a wheel well there?
Cheers Willis

Old 97

Hogger
You are CORRECT!!!

CBCNSfan said:
One little question is that a car buried in the snow under the trees, looks kind of like a wheel well there?
Cheers Willis
Willis,

You are correct.
There is indeed a car buried in the snow. :D
It was to give the impression of an old field car that had run it's last field
and had then been abandoned when it would run no more. ;)

Mike. :D

CP9302

Very nice shot. I you added one more boxcar to hide the couplers, you wouldn't be able to tell it was a model. I like the forground trees too, nice touch.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.