Model photo......

Old 97

Hogger
This is one of my best model photos I've been able to produce.
The Engine, tender and boxcar were placed on a small winter diorama that I built.
The "steam" was produced by using the old cotton ball trick. :D
I made the trees from some weeds that were dried and trimmed to the desired shape.
Snow is just standard baby powder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Quite truthfully I wouldn't have know it was a model if you hadn't said so. Some may argue that the trees clutter the scene, but I feel they make it that much more realistic.

How exactly does the cotton ball trick work? It appears as though some is suspended in mid-air...do you just drop it while taking the photo, or is it actually held there by something?

Nate,
Thanks for the kind words.
The "cotton" trick works by stretching a cotton ball to form a cloud.
I used a Q-tip in the stack and spread the cotton ball over that.
The cotton higher up in the trees is just placed on the tree branches. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have to agree the smoke adds a very nice effect and the the trees add texture ( if that's the right word) to the scene. One little question is that a car buried in the snow under the trees, looks kind of like a wheel well there?
Cheers Willis

You are CORRECT!!!

CBCNSfan said:
One little question is that a car buried in the snow under the trees, looks kind of like a wheel well there?
Cheers Willis

Willis,

You are correct.
There is indeed a car buried in the snow. :D
It was to give the impression of an old field car that had run it's last field
and had then been abandoned when it would run no more. ;)

Mike. :D

Very nice shot. I you added one more boxcar to hide the couplers, you wouldn't be able to tell it was a model. I like the forground trees too, nice touch.

Back