Merry Christmas! I mean... Its WPF time! 2-3-4 Nov. 2007

BNSF dude

BNSF foamer
Sadly At the moment no pictures to post but I have done some extra Detailing to my Atheran Kodachrome SF GP40X so it doesn't look so dry compared to my BLI SD40-2, all I did was add some hoses to the pilots of the '40X

I'm still finishing up my UP GP-7 so I'll post some pics tomorrow. Here's an old one of the P&N 70 tonner spotting a car on the downtown spur:

SpotingatFlintPaintMedium.jpg

Working on several projects this week. Did get handrails painted on SD45, don't know why Bachman put white on them???

Finally, I got something ready in time for posting on wpf. These photos are of the "REAL" muscle power of railroads. arh! arh! arh! (Next time, the diseasels)
Hope you enjoy. I am very proud of this stable.:)

From left to right:
Lionel Challenger, QSI decoder
BLI Class A, QSI decoder
PCM Y6b, Loksound decoder
PCM Y6b, Loksound decoder
Spectrum Mountain, Tsunami
Spectrum Consolidation, Tsunami
Spectrum Shay, Tsunami
Missing from Photo is BLI 2-8-2 that is having a transplant.

Steam_Power_1.jpg

Steam_Power_2.jpg

Steam_Power_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Working on several projects this week. Did get handrails painted on SD45, don't know why Bachman put white on them???
Probably because its a common mis-conception that all units had contrasting color hand rail ends? Or is it just that Santa Fe HAD to be different.

Did you know they only owned ONE GP40, until the 10 GP40X's?
http://atsf.railfan.net/gp40/

Wost part of the GP40:
On January 28, 1988, the 2964 was working in Southern California when it was destroyed in a firey collision at Pico Rivera, CA. Santa Fe's only GP40 had worked for the railroad just four years.

On the Santa Fe subject, Did you know one Caboose & one unit (think it was a 45-2, or 40-2) made it into FULL SPSF garb. I've only seen ONE known picture of the full SPSF unit, and it sold for upwards of $500 on eBay. Both were Santa Fe vintage.

Caboose, after a little patching.
http://atsf.railfan.net/sfkodcrm/i999088.htm

I finished detailing my CSX SD80MAC and have started painting it. It is going to be CSX 0804. Pics to come later this weekend.

-Smoke
P.S. It actually is 0804!!
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=18135
Now that is cool, is it going to be sold, or kept?

I've been working on my town side of the layout. Here is my attempt at sidewalks. They're not finished yet. On the hill side, the forestation continues. Ever notice how you can add a dozen trees and not notice?

PB020035.png

PB020026.png

PB020029.png

PB020023.png

quite a forrest youve got going there, I know waht you mean though add 5 more and wonder where they have gone !!!!

John
RJR

I still have the whole back side to do. I neglect that side because I have to go under the layout to get pictures. My room is really small!

Went to the Farnworth model railway show today, and saw a steam double header on way home

1. CP n scale modular set up, this was around 35ft long
10-08-07025.jpg

2. modern british engine servicing yard, all loco's had DCC sound
10-08-07013-3.jpg

10-08-07015-3.jpg

4. a small place in switzerland, this was in a very dark corner and none of the pics would turn out right
10-08-07012-1.jpg

5. g scale, very interesting scenary
10-08-07017-2.jpg

and an n scale scene by a lady who makes all the models in it, right down to n scale rats
10-08-07020-1.jpg

this was a 1950's layout yard, could not get near the front so i settled for a rear shot
10-08-07021-5.jpg

Probably because its a common mis-conception that all units had contrasting color hand rail ends? Or is it just that Santa Fe HAD to be different.

Josh, you lost me on this one. Santa Fe, along with a slew of other railroads, do have contrastng safety colors on handrails. Actually, I think the railroads that don't have contrasting safety colors are in the minority. The question was why don't model manufacturers who claim to be making accurate copies of a prototype paint the handrails correctly? I just went through this with my P2K UP GP-7. The UP also uses white safety paint on their handrails yet I had to wiggle them around and try not slop paint on the rest of the model to get them painted correctly. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to get these details right, especially on a $235 locomotive.

Jim, take a look at most Santa Fe units, the rails are all Yellow. I.E. No white handrail ends.
http://www.locophotos.com/Search.ph...SearchCity=&SearchState=&Order=&Search=Search

Josh,
You missed my point. I never claimed that the Santa Fe uses white as their contrasting safety color. As you say, it was mostly yellow, but they did paint the handrails a contrasting safety color. I said it was white on the UP. My point was why can't manufacturers get these right on their models, especially expensive models? It galls me to have to paint handrails and grab irons the correct contrasting safey color and not mess up the exisiting paint job, especially since it seems that manufacturers use colors that are all but impossible to match if you slip up.

And this is the steam special we saw on the way home, here 45407 and 76709 are slowing for a curve
th_10-08-07045.jpg

Steve, those were some great pictures. I wonder what that guy in that water is doing, exactly? :) I'm interested in that next picture that has the car (or locomotive, can't tell) labeled "Police". Is that from a prototype and, if so, what is it used for. The SP used some old cabooses labeled "Railroad Police" as rider cars on high security trains but I've never seen this in the UK before. It sure must be interesting making up a train in that yard. I wonder how many operator postitions they have?
[Edit] Just watched that G scale video. You can do a lot more realistic things in G scale I guess. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex, it's apparent that you have too many steam locomotives. I only have one lonely 4-8-4 and it needs a buddy. Don't you think that Southern Crescent green model would be the perfect one for a long term loan to keep UP 4-8-4 happy? Seriously, those are some nice locomotives. I can't wait to see the diesel lineup.

Corey, that slab/sidewalk didn't come out bad at all. I agree that the expansion joints are a little deep though - I think your HO scale pedestrians would be filing a bunch if law suits. :) If you can sand it so the expansion joints are not as deep, it would look better. You can even sand it flat and use a fine tip black marker for the expansion joints ans they will look fine. Yes, indeed, I know what you mean by trees. I've planted hundreds of them so far and I can't even tell if I ass five more. I think that means I have enough trees.:D

Jim, the Police train was one of around a dozen which were given fancy paint jobs, this was to highlight to trespassers that the rail police were about, others were painted in long lost paint jobs from the 60's to 80's to add a touch of colour,
Rex Way to many kettles there ;)

Back