Mantua pacific to hudson converstion

Maybe a little bit more than that @Smudge617 not too much though. From the looks of the pictures he needs to change out the Tender and remove a few little bits from the Pacific. Doesn't appear to be too much involved, at least not from looking at the pictures:

HUDSON

FA9odrc.jpg

PACIFIC
WVmFzN1.jpg

Maybe a little bit more than that @Smudge617 not too much though. From the looks of the pictures he needs to change out the Tender and remove a few little bits from the Pacific. Doesn't appear to be too much involved, at least not from looking at the pictures:

HUDSON

FA9odrc.jpg

PACIFIC
WVmFzN1.jpg
Yeah I know, but Ken's reply was a bit cryptic to say the least, just wanted a bit more info really

Oh I knew what you were saying Smudge, didn't mean to infer that you were being serious :) I thought it was a bit short on info as well which is why I posted the pics for the OP to look at - for what they maybe worth. :)

Oh I knew what you were saying Smudge, didn't mean to infer that you were being serious :) I thought it was a bit short on info as well which is why I posted the pics for the OP to look at - for what they maybe worth. :)
I understand by looking at the foto's there are quite a few changes, hope this helps the OP.

Three parts to the story.
1. You have to find a two axle trailing truck. You might be able to find one from another engine or you might have to buy a brass one from one of the detail companies (Cal Scale or PIA).
2. You have to make room under the firebox to fit the truck. That may entail removing details that interfere with the truck and possibly even grinding away some of the frame to clear the truck.
3. A way to attach the truck to the engine. Many times those trucks are attached to models with a "drawbar", a flat piece of brass, attached to the top of the truck and then to the bottom of engine. The truck has to swing side to side to allow it to negotiate cures and has to rotate. Plus being able to move up and down a bit will allow it to negotiate rough track and changes in grade.

Your main and only headache will be finding a Mantua four-wheel (2-axle) trailing truck. The only thing you have to do is remove the 2-wheel truck and install the new one. (Caution: don't let the pan-head screw get away from you!). You should not have to cut away any material under the firebox. The choice of tender and any other details will be up to you.

Back