Making wire trunks more realistic

rbwhale

I'm making a bunch of conifers for my N scale layout using the twisted wire with rope fibers method. I'm happy with the way the foliage looks but the trunks are another matter.

Is there an easy to apply sculpting compound that I can cover the twisted wire with to make the trunks look more like trunks? I will not need much, so expense is not really an issue, but there are so many kinds on sale at the art store that I'm not sure which one will do the job.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, rbwhale

After making hundreds of trees I noticed they evolve with practice.

First and easiest is sheet rock compound, which could be spread on with fingers, then painted.

Stronger and better would be hydrocal, which is stronger than above but you have to mix powder and water.

Wrapping with tape may work, but not as easy to paint. Maybe some type of paper tape.

A two part epoxy will work, but is messy.

Lastly, dipping or spreading a sticky glue, then dipping in fine sand or finely ground real tree bark may provide the best results. Also can be painted. Yellow contact cement comes to mind.

Let us know what works for you!

Dave LASM

I have done wire armature trees using melted candle wax in a pot. Worked ok and can be shaped more to look like bark then anything else I have tried.

I have also applied hot glue to the wire armatures. Worked out well but expensive with the cost of glue sticks, maybe 2 trees per stick.

TomO

I'm going to be making a lot (deciduous, not conifers) in the next few whatevers. I have lots of bare armatures from years ago, and I usually cover them in liquid latex, but the idea of dipping them in wax? That sounds interesting and I'm going to give it a try.

I'm going to be making a lot (deciduous, not conifers) in the next few whatevers. I have lots of bare armatures from years ago, and I usually cover them in liquid latex, but the idea of dipping them in wax? That sounds interesting and I'm going to give it a try.
What kind of liquid latex did you use?

Realized wood filler or plastic wood may be ideal.

Cheap, paintable, strong, easy to use, fast setting.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 111
  • wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 119
Try searching for "boomer dioramas trees" he's got some great youtube tutorials on making trees.

I've played with applying modpodge and then dusting with sawdust while wet.

Try searching for "boomer dioramas trees" he's got some great youtube tutorials on making trees.

I've played with applying modpodge and then dusting with sawdust while wet.
I tried Mod Podge, but it drips of off the trunk and takes the sawdust with it. I wonder if there are thicker versions.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.

@rbwhale brush it on really thin. I've had it flake off when I have it to thick. I haven't finished a tree myself yet but. Boomer seems to have some extensive experience.

@rbwhale brush it on really thin. I've had it flake off when I have it to thick. I haven't finished a tree myself yet but. Boomer seems to have some extensive experience.
That makes sense. I just dipped in in the bottle and watched it drip off. Doh! But that gave me an idea: I was watching a ad video on Plasti-Dip, the stuff you can put on tool handles for a better grip. It comes in a shade of dark gray (Gun Metal Gray they call it) and it seems to stick much better when pulled out slowly per the instructions. I'm going to give that a try and I will report back on the results/mess/calamity or whatever::oops:.
Thanks
rb whale

rbwhale:
I did those such a long time ago I have no idea. But I recently picked up some more from Jo-Ann called 'Mold Builder' by Castin' Craft (for a different project - making molds). It seems to be the same stuff I used years ago, smells like it, too. I haven't tried that one yet, but I can't see why it won't work. It's a one-pound jar, which makes a lot of trees. I thin it with water to make it easier to brush on. The first stuff I used back in the previous century was green, then I got some white stuff, and now this is white, too. Wish I had a picture of a completed tree, but I threw out all the old ones; all I have left is uncoated armatures al the moment. But here is a picture of some old trees coated with latex and painted.
IMG_1890.JPG

I guess I'll have to coat some and try it out. I have tried Plasti-Dip, but to me it was a pain so I gave up on it. I just paint the trunks with a realistic color before adding the foliage.

I'm a little late to this thread, but I've also done wire trees for the first time recently. Here's the stuff I used to fill in the wire frames:
PXL_20220314_004520271.jpg

I chose it mostly because it was on sale on Michaels, I think it was $3.99-ish?

I came across this thread searching the word "sawdust" in an attempt to learn about making grass. BUT.. now I need to make a few more trees and try dipping the wet craft paste in sawdust, sounds like a great way to make it more realistic.

I really appreciate all the suggestion you guys have submitted. I tried several, but none seemed to work but then, when I asked myself "what would a really lazy guy do?", the answer came to me. I purchased a pack of Plastruct 4 mm plastic tubes, cut them into N scale lengths, grooved them along their lengths with a fine tooth hacksaw blade painted them grey, applied a black wash to highlight the grooves, and dry brushed some brown streaks which seem to be a feature of the Oregon conifers.

Here's the result. It's not perfect but it will do for the 100 or so more I have to make. Thanks again, everyone.
Trunk 3.jpg

Back