Make your own ship decking for depot platform.

tccarson

I was anxious to finish my Craigellachie (The CPR Last Spike) depot, when I realized that I didn't have enough material to finish the platform. The Craigellachie depot is a fairly simple structure, so I wanted to dress it up a little with some ship decking material for a more realistic looking platform. I rummaged through all of my scrap boxes but didn't have enough material, so I decided to make my own. I wanted to share the results. Here is a picture of what I came up with. If anyone is interested I can post a short tutorial on making the laminated decking.
scled_lumber_platform.jpg
TC
ScaleModelPlans.com

I would be interested in your tutorial TC, mine would be because I've been looking at a method to make the decking for ITTX flat cars
03-ITTX9658851_zpspnn3hw3r.png

I just finished the tutorial. It's a short one. I didn't have my camera ready so I used my phone. I would have liked a few more photos, but I was anxious to get the project done. Here is the link: https://www.scalemodelplans.com/smp/tutorials/deck_boards.html

I used balsa and black construction paper. Balsa is softer, so gives a more worn/weathered look. Basswood should leave a more defined look. I'd be interested in seeing the results if you go ahead with it. If you need any help feel free to ask.

TC

Back