Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

The two Decoder Buddy's arrived this morning, one is destined for my Bachmann MO-PAC GE 830-7

I bought two just in case I blow the first one. 😀

1704477656819.jpeg

why these types of decoders Smudge and not the smaller digitrax type?
You're thinking of the wire type, I could have, they would fit, but for the price of something like a Digitrax126PS I can get 2 Decoder-Buddys, and as I have 3X21-pin 4-function decoders doing nothing, why not use them instead of buying yet another decoder.
And as there's more than enough room in the Bachmann GE 830 for one I might as well.

You're thinking of the wire type, I could have, they would fit, but for the price of something like a Digitrax126PS I can get 2 Decoder-Buddys, and as I have 3X21-pin 4-function decoders doing nothing, why not use them instead of buying yet another decoder.
And as there's more than enough room in the Bachmann GE 830 for one I might as well.
Okay, wasn’t sure

Okay, wasn’t sure
While I've been on vacation I've found a load of electronic stuff I forgot I had, I'm just trying to use stuff up with minimal (or no) extra cost. The 21-pin I found don't play well with the more up-market stuff like Genisis or ScaleTrains, which is why I replaced them.

Good morning, it’s 12:10am in Wisconsin as I start typing this. Made it through the mega snow event that actually has lived up to the hype of the last 3 days. A good day over all as even the mail delivery person made it to the mailbox and front porch today

While I am adjusting my model eras I’ve been searching for 6 axle diesels to expand the fleet. I like Soundtraxx Tsunami2 decoders and Genesis diesels. I have decided on 2 eras, 2010 and 2020. These will fit the early time frame
IMG_3830.jpeg
IMG_3825.jpeg
IMG_3824.jpeg

Intermodal also showed today in a big way

IMG_3823.jpeg
IMG_3822.jpeg

These were so very inexpensive on EBay I knew they were knockoffs and I believe I am correct. Normally I refuse to deal with knockoffs but a weathering client kept bugging as the Walters Scenemaster and Atlas container would be 4x the $$$ I spend on the containers. If these 2 Well cars from Evemodels are not knock offs from Walthers cars I’m not sure what is. Manufactured in China but the company is based in the UK and Germany per the packaging. Decent cars at 50% of the cost other brands‘ cars. Brake line detailing is minimal but that’s about it. The car looks right and with weathering, better wheels and couplers (normal upgrades) will not be a distraction amongst the better intermodal fleet

IMG_3821.jpeg

Finally arriving today was some name brand intermodal equipment
IMG_3829.jpeg
IMG_3819.jpeg
IMG_3820.jpeg

See told u it was a good day!

Good morning, it’s 12:10am in Wisconsin as I start typing this. Made it through the mega snow event that actually has lived up to the hype of the last 3 days. A good day over all as even the mail delivery person made it to the mailbox and front porch today

While I am adjusting my model eras I’ve been searching for 6 axle diesels to expand the fleet. I like Soundtraxx Tsunami2 decoders and Genesis diesels. I have decided on 2 eras, 2010 and 2020. These will fit the early time frame
View attachment 179310View attachment 179311View attachment 179312

Intermodal also showed today in a big way

View attachment 179313View attachment 179314
These were so very inexpensive on EBay I knew they were knockoffs and I believe I am correct. Normally I refuse to deal with knockoffs but a weathering client kept bugging as the Walters Scenemaster and Atlas container would be 4x the $$$ I spend on the containers. If these 2 Well cars from Evemodels are not knock offs from Walthers cars I’m not sure what is. Manufactured in China but the company is based in the UK and Germany per the packaging. Decent cars at 50% of the cost other brands‘ cars. Brake line detailing is minimal but that’s about it. The car looks right and with weathering, better wheels and couplers (normal upgrades) will not be a distraction amongst the better intermodal fleet

View attachment 179315

Finally arriving today was some name brand intermodal equipmentView attachment 179316View attachment 179317View attachment 179318
See told u it was a good day!
I found the Evemodel cars roll very smoothly, but yes, detail is not the best.

I found the Evemodel cars roll very smoothly, but yes, detail is not the best.
I added some metal 33” wheels and reamed the trucks. Not much improvement. Then I added a a couple fiber gray washers from Kadee to the bolster and they rolled better but are still very Light. I then grabbed a couple 40’ containers that have Pennie’s added inside to add 2.5 ounces to the container and now the cars both roll very nicely. But, now the coupler heights need playing with as they have become too high. They are going to work in nicely to the fleet. A friend just this morning was over to help on these 2 cars. We just ordered another 10 to split. He left for the LHS to buy more of the Kadee washers of different thicknesses. He’ll be back. Weathering will help the appearance of these cars drawing the eye away from the lack of details.

An Athearn Genesis SD59M with sound arrived today.
These were made from the SD60 models and had improved environmental control features.
This looks kinda like the SD70M with flared radiators but when they're side by side, the difference is obvious.
I'll get it on the programming track in a little bit then capture some footage of it pulling freight and post it later tonight.

20240110_150125.jpg

Managed to get out to a small RR flea market this past weekend, hosted by a local club a couple times each year. Not much spectacular, but you can't leave empty handed, right? One table was run by a family just starting to sell off their late father's collection. Although I shouldn't really be buying more rolling stock right now, I decided to help out and picked up four cars at a fair price. At another table, I noticed a bunch of small railroad heralds on metal plate. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do with these yet, but they may make a nice addition to the train room or perhaps a display case someday.

53465767146_8721e415b8_b.jpg

Ordered from a new to me website today: trainsetsonly. Ordered some Walther's Mainline BN depressed flat cars with transformer loads. Now to see if they'll work on the layout. I always thought they looked cool. My son's always loading everything imaginable on my flat cars pushed me over the top to get them. Hopefully they will get here in a week or two.

This thread would pertain to any Model Railroad related items you ordered and received for your MRR or other.
So include your picture and tell us about it and even give your review or reasons for obtaining the item or items.
Once again I find myself way behind in things to post to this thread. For Christmas my wife was excited to buy me trains and spent a bunch trying to upgrade my Christmas forest collection. Unfortunately she purchased mostly toy train stuff. Thanks to the friendly people at MB Kline I was able to send most of it back, and get replacements. Since it is the thought that counts I consider these as things she purchased for me.

Here is the star of the show. A Lionel O-gauge - Scale E8 AA set. It is a glorious model with all the MU cables, window wipers, hatch lift rings, ice breakers, and grab irons as added on detail. The nose seems a tad bit pointy for an E unit, but I don't know if that is true or if it is just the optical effect difference between all my HO models vs this larger scale. They have fan driven controllable smoke output, all the lighting is programmable (defaults to direction controlled) I don't like the roof strobe, but I know it is era correct. The only thing not so nice is the oversized and truck mounted couplers. Unfortunately, the truck mounting is essential to allow it to navigate an O-54 curve (27" radius), and the couplers just to match Lionel history. Power wise, it is typical Lionel, in that it can be run on straight AC power, their TMCC or Legacy command systems, as well as the bluetooth phone wireless interface, or even a Lion Chief controller (which I believe is DCC under the covers). I've not had the opportunity to run it yet. When I go to clean up the Christmas Forest I will take it with me and run there before I disassemble the tracks for the season. But, I have no doubt it will be smooth and silky sliding down the rails.

Lionel E8s 2.jpg

Lionel E8s.jpg

20240124_185756[1].jpg

Last edited:
Once again I find myself way behind in things to post to this thread. For Christmas my wife was excited to buy me trains and spent a bunch trying to upgrade my Christmas forest collection. Unfortunately she purchased mostly toy train stuff. Thanks to the friendly people at MB Kline I was able to send most of it back, and get replacements. Since it is the thought that counts I consider these as things she purchased for me.

Here is the star of the show. A Lionel O-gauge - Scale E8 AA set. It is a glorious model with all the MU cables, window wipers, hatch lift rings, ice breakers, and grab irons as added on detail. The nose seems a tad bit pointy for an E unit, but I don't know if that is true or if it is just the optical effect difference between all my HO models vs this larger scale. They have fan driven controllable smoke output, all the lighting is programmable (defaults to direction controlled) I don't like the roof strobe, but I know it is era correct. The only thing not so nice is the oversized and truck mounted couplers. Unfortunately, the truck mounting is essential to allow it to navigate an O-54 curve (27" radius), and the couplers just to match Lionel history. It is typical Lionel, in that it can be run on straight AC power, their TMCC or Legacy command systems, as well as the bluetooth phone wireless interface, or even a Lion Chief controller (which I believe is DCC under the covers). I've not had the opportunity to run it yet. When I go to clean up the Christmas Forest I will take it with me and run there before I disassemble the tracks for the season. But, I have no doubt it will be smooth and silky sliding down the rails.

View attachment 180089

View attachment 180088

View attachment 180087
That is magnificent! It is more than worthy of a second post in Christmas Trees, Trains and More 😁

Pretty pale in comparison to the other purchases above, but I do not have any room for any more rolling stock, however always room for a couple trees and some scenery supplies:

IMG_4514.JPG

While most seem to make their own white glue, I like the Scenic Cement for 1) shelf life, 2) soaks in good 3) don't get a bubble 4) convenience

The rusty rail track painter - I have used many of these and I think they are fine. Takes patience, just like a lot of model RR stuff

Trees, I have made all my own in the past but decided to press the "easy button".

All this package from Hobbylinc.

Future Fun! Dave LASM

Continuing from above.....
Of course one cannot have glorious locomotives without something for them to pull. I got the whole set. Package of 4 cars, supplemental package of 2 cars, and the diner. Diner supposedly has programmable sound so one can set up when to play what message. I'm hoping I can put in my own messages. That way I can stop the train under a specific tree and give a description of it. "Now a stop at the North Woods Tree" sort of stuff.

There is actually another car in the "set" that is also an RPO style but it is an REA type and the paint scheme is opposite. Red above and below with windows with a green window sash. As it is I would have liked they kept the same paint scheme as the locomotives with silver down to the top of the windows. Sort of like the names they gave the cars, especially "Fireside" for the diner. Once again I will update after I get them on the track to see what the lighting is like.

Considering their size I am guessing they will look odd on curves as small as O-72 so I am hunting for O-90 and O-99 for them. Where I will fit a circle that large I have no idea. Gym floor I guess. Of course click to get full size images. Way too much work to unpackage them for photos, so you get the shop window view.

Jinigle Bell Express 4 car #1.jpg
Jingle Bell Express 4 cars #2.jpg

jingle bell express 2 cars.jpg
jingle bell express diner.jpg

Pretty pale in comparison to the other purchases above, but I do not have any room for any more rolling stock, however always room for a couple trees and some scenery supplies:

View attachment 180090

While most seem to make their own white glue, I like the Scenic Cement for 1) shelf life, 2) soaks in good 3) don't get a bubble 4) convenience

The rusty rail track painter - I have used many of these and I think they are fine. Takes patience, just like a lot of model RR stuff

Trees, I have made all my own in the past but decided to press the "easy button".

All this package from Hobbylinc.

Future Fun! Dave LASM
Love the easy button, great haul

Back